Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
If it just moves the whole brake down to accomplish the longer reach it doesn't actually accommodate a bigger tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
That was my thought as well so they are either trying to deal with some of the carbon rims that have lowered brake tracks or there is something else to the brake that makes it work as 47-57mm reach with clearance for bigger tires and/or fenders.

Being FSA and the level of that group, I am thinking it is to accommodate carbon rims and not for larger tires and fenders.
My guess is that too after putting the front brake on my frame. The pads/holders are all the way to the top on the front. Flipping it would allow more room if needed.

The black dial on the center of the brake does not just operand close it. It's detented. So you could give it more room for a larger tire.

I'll have to ask them on Monday. All good questions for them. You'd be surprised how many times I have gotten to play with things like this and brought up problems/questions that they didn't think of.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 PM

I would love to see a wireless group from Campy. EPS on a steel bike not made for electronic would be a dream come true.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Its like FSA's core mission and mandate is to make the ugliest parts possible.
....mission accomplished !

Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM

a bit confused about how the wireless aspect of the derailleurs works. There's a battery in seatpost - and it's hardwired to FD and RD, but gets wireless shift signals from the shifters - is that right?

This design could work for a coupled bike pretty well, with the battery and wires just in the back half of the bike and wireless commands going between shifters and FD/RD.

The RD doesn't really look like it has a motor to make shifts, though, or it's very well hidden/designed.

How do the shifters work in terms of actuating shifts? Two levers per brake ala shimano, or something different like etap?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
a bit confused about how the wireless aspect of the derailleurs works. There's a battery in seatpost - and it's hardwired to FD and RD, but gets wireless shift signals from the shifters - is that right?

Correct. The front and rear derailleurs are wired and the shifters wireless. The front derailleur has the brains in the body. So the rear derailleur was able to be shrunk down. The battery fits in the seatpost. It is a rechargeable Li-Ion. The lever body batteries are CR-2032 and replaced by a cover under the body(very easy to pull apart).

This design could work for a coupled bike pretty well, with the battery and wires just in the back half of the bike and wireless commands going between shifters and FD/RD.

I think this is where the group is excellent. No control box under the stem or in the bar or anything. No wires for traveling when removing the bar/stem. I like this.

The RD doesn't really look like it has a motor to make shifts, though, or it's very well hidden/designed.

The rear derailleur is really slim and compact. Since the brains are in the front derailleur, everything is very compact. It's very clean looking.

How do the shifters work in terms of actuating shifts? Two levers per brake ala shimano, or something different like etap?

The shifters a paddle style. The are on a central pivot. They are very simple and feel solid. Not soft or anything. And they're replaceable which is nice.

Thanks.
I am going to post a video on facebook and link it for everyone so you can watch the shifting. It's really nice. And set up is stupidly fast. It was literally 3 minutes when I did it today.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 AM

I've always liked FSA's stuff, despite the bashing it often gets for some reason. I have an SLK bar and stem set that I really like - very light and stiff combo - and very aestically pleasing, imo.

Of the new parts shown in this thread I like the levers, hubs, and chain the best. Brake calipers are really nice too, imo.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I am going to post a video on facebook and link it for everyone so you can watch the shifting. It's really nice. And set up is stupidly fast. It was literally 3 minutes when I did it today.
Thanks for the info..how is the battery charged? Plug?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Wonder if you can inter mix this group with existing 9000 crank
Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
....mission accomplished !

Along with the worst customer service and warranty policy
SN# HC-54-265
Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
probably, 11s is 11s, CR spacing wise. Just a matter of adjusting the FDer, samo with Di2 and EPS...Yup, FSA doesn't have a great track record when it comes to cranks and BBs..
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks for the info..how is the battery charged? Plug?
Yep. I don't have the charger cause they forgot to throw it in the box or I would've taken pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I don't see why not. It's all the same spacing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey1112000 View Post
Along with the worst customer service and warranty policy
See, I haven't found that over the years. I've always had decent help and warranty success from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
probably, 11s is 11s, CR spacing wise. Just a matter of adjusting the FDer, samo with Di2 and EPS...Yup, FSA doesn't have a great track record when it comes to cranks and BBs..
I've only had one FSA kit personally and never had an issue. And i'm not lightweight. A couple friends who were smaller had good success too. I do know the bb's on the mountain side died. But then again the dude using it killed a Shimano outboard with Phil bearings in it in a year. So He's an anomaly. Other than that the people i've put on them have been solid. But ISIS bb's, totally different story. But that system sucked in so many ways. When I was at American Classic we would get a box of ISIS bb's in and maybe 8 out of 50 would be good, ridable and sellable. That system sucked.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=sales guy;2295133]Yep. I don't have the charger cause they forgot to throw it in the box or I would've taken pictures.

BUT, plugs into battery? Needs a port like v2 EPS? Since the battery is internal..

thanks again for all the info.

The FSA battle for me was their road cranks that kept having the LH arm fall of..cuz no 'taper' of the splines and no pinch bolts ala shimano..and their 'solution' was glue(purple loctite)..and gorilla tight, which often made the bearings bind... plus a variety of crank fixing bolts..needed a drawer full of them, some aluminum, soft...blah, blah..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Vendor

[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;2295135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Yep. I don't have the charger cause they forgot to throw it in the box or I would've taken pictures.

BUT, plugs into battery? Needs a port like v2 EPS? Since the battery is internal..

thanks again for all the info.

Sorry. Didn't realize I didn't answer it. It plugs into the derailleur.

The FSA battle for me was their road cranks that kept having the LH arm fall of..cuz no 'taper' of the splines and no pinch bolts ala shimano..and their 'solution' was glue(purple loctite)..and gorilla tight, which often made the bearings bind... plus a variety of crank fixing bolts..needed a drawer full of them, some aluminum, soft...blah, blah..
I absolutely agree that they went WAAAAAAY wrong in how many bolts they have. God knows why they did it. I hadn't experienced the arm issue. Not saying it wasn't there. Just didn't have that one.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 PM

So with the “brains” in the FD, is there no possibility of running a 1x system? If so, this seems like a miss in terms of versatility.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesbrigade View Post
So with the “brains” in the FD, is there no possibility of running a 1x system? If so, this seems like a miss in terms of versatility.
Actually, 1x exists because s(h)ram couldnt make a front derailuer work properly.