Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 12:01 PM

Riding in Berrien County, Michigan?

Our family is anticipating a work-related relocation for a job in St Joseph, Michigan this August. We’re looking for housing and considering as far south as New Buffalo, but unfortunately covid19-related shutdowns have canceled our April scouting trip. Does anyone with firsthand knowledge of the area have a suggestion for a cycling friendly community, or active cycling groups in the area? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:18 PM

Well yes I have lived in Niles, Michigan in the southern part of Berrien county most of my life and attended Andrews University in Berrien Springs where I got my teaching degrees. For years we did a training ride starting on campus and going towards the lake and back. Andrews has a lot of students from other countries. Berrien is a fruit growing area with lots of paved country roads with low traffic. Next door Cass county is even better for riding because the county owns its own paving outfit and keeps the roads in good condition where there is even less traffic.

St Joe is a cute town that has become touristy. It is also expensive to live there compared to other places in Berrien County. It is a sister city to Benton Harbor right across the St Joe river and it is truly a pit hole (replacing the p with a sh would make the description more accurate) like Gary, IN or East St Louis, MO. It's stain is fairly well contained within its city limits. Part of its history includes the House of David a kind of religious commune. There are just 2 poople left alive so when they die the huge complex goes back to the state. You might want to think of converting.

The area of Berrien county along the coast has become a place with many 2nd homes for Chicagoans. They are not popular except for their money Three Oaks a very small town has the very big Apple Cider Century ride every fall. It has a bicycle museum with maps of many bike ride routes in the county.

Unless I was rich I wouldn't look for housing along the coast. I'd go inland a bit to places like Eau Claire which is a very friendly little town. Berrien Springs has a lot of housing for transitional students. What used to be my parents house next door to mine I now use for housing my frame building class students. However with the virus all potential future students have cancelled. It can be an option for you except it is 25miles away. However the drive is easy and my wife makes it almost every day for work because of limited access US 31.

They have just extended the bike path to my place. It is really nice and goes to Notre Dame U and beyond. If you have family it is a great place to ride with them.

Instead of writing pages it would be easier if you gave me a call. My number and email address are online but if you can't find them PM me.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the help Doug- I’ll reach out today.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:59 PM

OP, I was originally from Philly and took a job promo to St. Joe Michigan once. I was there from 1990 until 2009 ( kept a house there until 2014 ). We rented a place in St. Joe when we first got there, but it was winter and it is pretty bleak in St Joe in winter. We ended up settling right on the MI state line near South Bend Indiana. There's a lot more going on, great riding in that area of Michigan. Very low traffic. Lots of really nice homes in the area.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
Well yes I have lived in Niles, Michigan in the southern part of Berrien county most of my life and attended Andrews University in Berrien Springs where I got my teaching degrees. For years we did a training ride starting on campus and going towards the lake and back. Andrews has a lot of students from other countries. Berrien is a fruit growing area with lots of paved country roads with low traffic. Next door Cass county is even better for riding because the county owns its own paving outfit and keeps the roads in good condition where there is even less traffic.

St Joe is a cute town that has become touristy. It is also expensive to live there compared to other places in Berrien County. It is a sister city to Benton Harbor right across the St Joe river and it is truly a pit hole (replacing the p with a sh would make the description more accurate) like Gary, IN or East St Louis, MO. It's stain is fairly well contained within its city limits. Part of its history includes the House of David a kind of religious commune. There are just 2 poople left alive so when they die the huge complex goes back to the state. You might want to think of converting.

The area of Berrien county along the coast has become a place with many 2nd homes for Chicagoans. They are not popular except for their money Three Oaks a very small town has the very big Apple Cider Century ride every fall. It has a bicycle museum with maps of many bike ride routes in the county.

Unless I was rich I wouldn't look for housing along the coast. I'd go inland a bit to places like Eau Claire which is a very friendly little town. Berrien Springs has a lot of housing for transitional students. What used to be my parents house next door to mine I now use for housing my frame building class students. However with the virus all potential future students have cancelled. It can be an option for you except it is 25miles away. However the drive is easy and my wife makes it almost every day for work because of limited access US 31.

They have just extended the bike path to my place. It is really nice and goes to Notre Dame U and beyond. If you have family it is a great place to ride with them.

Instead of writing pages it would be easier if you gave me a call. My number and email address are online but if you can't find them PM me.
Not everyone from Chicago tries to avoid paying non-resident taxes. Imagine if that tax base went away entirely...Just sayin'

Wonderful place to ride bikes as well as other activities.

Last edited by charliedid; 04-04-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

Not everyone from Chicago tries to avoid paying non-resident taxes. Imagine if that tax base went way entirely...Just sayin'

Wonderful place to ride bikes as well as other activities.
Don't shoot me the messenger! I love the bike riders from Chicago that take my framebuilding class. My wife is a nurse that has to visit homes in various parts of the the country for health care. She often will comment to me that during her visits she will hear them complain about people coming around the lake to stay here for short periods. Part of their complaint is that the invaders drive up the cost of buying a house so making the price of owning a home for those that have grown up here more expensive. It also has to do with class differences. Right now everybody is worried about them bringing the Coronavirus with them as they hunker down here during the shut down.

By the way there are 2 ways to get to Chicago by train from Berrien county. Niles is an Amtrak stop between Detroit and Chicago. There is also the South Shore line leaving from the South Bend airport (just over the line in Indiana). It is a fairly inexpensive trip but is also a bit of a milk run with multiple stops along the way. It is a popular to go to Chicago if one doesn't want to drive a car. Downtown Chicago is about 90 miles away from me.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Don't shoot me the messenger! I love the bike riders from Chicago that take my framebuilding class. My wife is a nurse that has to visit homes in various parts of the the country for health care. She often will comment to me that during her visits she will hear them complain about people coming around the lake to stay here for short periods. Part of their complaint is that the invaders drive up the cost of buying a house so making the price of owning a home for those that have grown up here more expensive. It also has to do with class differences. Right now everybody is worried about them bringing the Coronavirus with them as they hunker down here during the shut down.

By the way there are 2 ways to get to Chicago by train from Berrien county. Niles is an Amtrak stop between Detroit and Chicago. There is also the South Shore line leaving from the South Bend airport (just over the line in Indiana). It is a fairly inexpensive trip but is also a bit of a milk run with multiple stops along the way. It is a popular to go to Chicago if one doesn't want to drive a car. Downtown Chicago is about 90 miles away from me.
I'm all too familiar! Take care.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
OP, I was originally from Philly and took a job promo to St. Joe Michigan once. I was there from 1990 until 2009 ( kept a house there until 2014 ). We rented a place in St. Joe when we first got there, but it was winter and it is pretty bleak in St Joe in winter. We ended up settling right on the MI state line near South Bend Indiana. There's a lot more going on, great riding in that area of Michigan. Very low traffic. Lots of really nice homes in the area.
I grew up on the east side of the state (metro Detroit area) but have been on the east coast for the past 10 years. When we visited St Joes in the late summer, there seemed to be a lot of touristy businesses that were kinda winding down for the season. It's just so hard to get a feel for the community just by looking at Zillow listings and Strava heatmaps.
I appreciate the feedback guys.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:02 AM

trains in Berrien County

Quote:
By the way there are 2 ways to get to Chicago by train from Berrien county. Niles is an Amtrak stop between Detroit and Chicago. There is also the South Shore line leaving from the South Bend airport (just over the line in Indiana).
Actually 3 ways to get to Chicago from Berrien County - Amtrak has the line to Grand Rapids, MI that stops in St. Joe.

Plus, there's also a stop in New Buffalo, MI that is served on the old Michigan Central line that also goes through Niles.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM

Talking another former Niles resident...

I grew up in Niles and lived in South Bend until 2003. I LOVE riding in Berrien County. Winding backroads, hills in the areas around the St. Joseph River, flat to the west. With all the fruit farms, during late summer the entire area smells like grapes.

For routes in the area, check with the Michiana Bicycle Association. They have a TON of maps for rides throughout the Michiana area with many starting in Berrien County.

Its a great area for wanderlust. Head out and enjoy hours and hours or exploring back roads.

One final question for @Fignon's Barber....you think they ever repaved your favorite road - Glendora Road?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 AM

I took this picture yesterday of the brand new section of bike trail just south of Niles. It cuts though an old growth forest. This new section connects to a fairly new section that goes to the state line. Just a couple of years ago the trail was continued from the Michigan/Indiana state line down to Notre Dame to the left and more of the trail through the west part of South Bend if you turn to the right. This Indiana section is especially nice because it was paved with concert instead of asphalt. It is just west of old US 31 that is loaded with businesses between Niles and South Bend. However even though it is convenient access to these businesses it seems like you are actually out in nature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2005.jpg (149.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post

One final question for @Fignon's Barber....you think they ever repaved your favorite road - Glendora Road?
Lots of great roads there, but Glendora wasn't the county's best work. I still remember the "thump,thump,thump" every few seconds for miles on end.