Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 PM

The only reason the CDC etc... aren’t strongly recommending, or saying you have to wear a mask, is because there aren’t nearly enough of them around even for medical workers. The reason the medical workers want them is because they work. If everyone wore masks, basically like in South Korea and Japan, it would significantly slow the spread of the disease - all else being equal.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my uneducated opinion is that seems to me like wearing one of these homemade masks, or any mask really may not be doing anyone any good.

any fluid will take the path of least resistance when moving, including air, so if the mask doesnt have a tight seal, it will leak, a lot.

the bigger issue, is that without proper training, and attention to detail, it seems if you are out and about, fiddling with the mask, taking it on and off, and general handling of the mask, which winds up against your face, might just negate the positive effects.

i concede that if you have the virus, a mask may help you to not spread it to others, but i see little practical benefit from a protection standpoint.

at this time - i'm not wearing a mask when i need to go to the food store or pick up curbside food. at this point, those are my only exposure avenues.

maybe i'll change my mind, but that's my thinking right now.
The ask of the mask isn't to just protect you it's to prevent you from potentially spreading. We're learning more and more how many of us are asymptomatic carriers.

You can't put a mask on your face inside your car and then not fiddle with it until after you sanitize your hands from your errands? If it's a challenge you may want to practice because it's not that hard and can help keep you and others healthy.

SoCalSteve posted a really great YouTube video that went into some detail on this. Go watch it.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
The ask of the mask isn't to just protect you it's to prevent you from potentially spreading. We're learning more and more how many of us are asymptomatic carriers.

You can't put a mask on your face inside your car and then not fiddle with it until after you sanitize your hands from your errands? If it's a challenge you may want to practice because it's not that hard and can help keep you and others healthy.

SoCalSteve posted a really great YouTube video that went into some detail on this. Go watch it.

Sure there are asymptomatic carriers but these are not as contagious as it is the symptoms that also spread the dicease. Cough sneeze runny nose etc. Without those u can still spread the virus ofc but not as likely. A point worth mentioning at least.

That said ofc masks are good if handled appropriately.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Sure there are asymptomatic carriers but these are not as contagious as it is the symptoms that also spread the dicease. Cough sneeze runny nose etc. Without those u can still spread the virus ofc but not as likely. A point worth mentioning at least.

That said ofc masks are good if handled appropriately.
I don't really understand your reply. You're like- yeah healthy people can spread it but sick people spread it more.

Yes! That's known and why everyone should be wearing masks when in public, because the sick might not think they are sick and stopping that nose wiping and sneezing in public will help slow the spread.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
I don't really understand your reply. You're like- yeah healthy people can spread it but sick people spread it more.

Yes! That's known and why everyone should be wearing masks when in public, because the sick might not think they are sick and stopping that nose wiping and sneezing in public will help slow the spread.
I Thought i made a valid point as to not spread even more panic in Our society.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Here's a fun little experiment that, for now, will have to done in our heads rather than with real observations:

Observe your local grocery store for an hour, watching people who are wearing masks. When one of them sneezes, see if they reach up and touch their mask or their face within the next minute.
What's the over/under on how many out of 10 touch their face or their mask? I bet it's at least 6. You want the under or the over?

So I remain a skeptic on the benefit of having the American public wearing masks.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Touching your face or the mask doesn’t automatically make any benefit of the mask go away though. You guys are way too black and white about it, and don’t sound like you understand viral loads and droplets.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Touching your face or the mask doesn’t automatically make any benefit of the mask go away though. You guys are way too black and white about it, and don’t sound like you understand viral loads and droplets.
I’m not black and white about it, rather pointing out the shades of grey involved in this policy.

Does a mask policy make sense in the NYC subway? Probably does.
How about in my rural grocery store which is never crowded and where people distance themselves? I’m not so sure. I don’t really want a COVID carrier fidgeting with their damp mask, then picking through the apple bin a minute before I get there and start selecting apples.

Plus @Angry is a really sharp guy and I hope that I learned a thing or two in medical school so ignore us at your own intellectual peril.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post

Plus @Angry is a really sharp guy and I hope that I learned a thing or two in medical school so ignore us at your own intellectual peril.
I see. Heed the advice of some guys on the bike forum instead of the CDC and the doctors and scientists that are studying this within our state and federal health departments. What arrogance. Good luck all.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

Soon this will be most places IMO
Old 04-05-2020, 09:46 PM

To me, even though wearing a simple mask is not an effective measure for us at an individual level, if everyone wears a mask in a social setting will be a net gain in this battle.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 AM

Just a random thought, would DWR water repellent on fabric provide any benefit?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post

Interesting...I like the thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I’m not black and white about it, rather pointing out the shades of grey involved in this policy.

Does a mask policy make sense in the NYC subway? Probably does.
How about in my rural grocery store which is never crowded and where people distance themselves? I’m not so sure. I don’t really want a COVID carrier fidgeting with their damp mask, then picking through the apple bin a minute before I get there and start selecting apples.

From what I'm experiencing people are NOT doing a good job of distancing themselves in grocery stores, wearing a mask will help.

Also, you may want to act as if all produce is contaminated with the virus and wash with soap and water.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
I'm not sure we want to breath that stuff?

Dunno