Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Wheel advice

Hey all,
Building up a new bike and was recommended Enve 3.4’s by more that one person and shop. This will be used 80% road, and occasional light gravel. Tires of choice will be 28-32 on there for most of the time, and occasionally 40’s. Through axel, disc.

Any good options, or wheel builders you all and good success with?

** This is a loaded topic with many having different opinions. It’s opinions and first hand experiences I’m looking for😊**

Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overshot View Post
Hey all,
Building up a new bike and was recommended Enve 3.4’s by more that one person and shop. This will be used 80% road, and occasional light gravel. Tires of choice will be 28-32 on there for most of the time, and occasionally 40’s. Through axel, disc.

** This is a loaded topic with many having different opinions. It’s opinions and first hand experiences I’m looking for😊**

Thanks
personally i think enve is overpriced for what they are now. if going disc, a sophisticated engineered brake track is not necessary, and there are many carbon wheels that have the same performance with less cost these days.

have a look, for example at what forum sponsor NEXT wheels have in their lineup.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 PM

Just started riding a set of ENVE 3.4 and they are great. Light and fast.

Not the lightest and not the fastest but a very nice all around (rim brake) wheelset.

They really shine for (rim) braking.

If I was running disc brakes I would try to have a disc brake specific rim to save weight. No need to reinforce the brake surface.

Also the rim is designed to aerodynamically work the best with a 25mm tire.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:16 PM

Thanks, I will check out Next for sure
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM

I had Enve 3.4 (textured rim brake version). It was good, really good.
But not worth the money. There are many cheaper alternatives that are just as good and half as cheap compared to Enve's MSRP. However, with these cheaper wheels you will not get the same kind of warranty that Enve has.

What cheaper wheels am I talking about?
1. Next Wheels (Forum Sponsor)
2. Woven
3. November Bicycles -- make custom wheels for you
4. Old Potatoe (Paceline forum member and master wheelbuilder) -- If I were buying wheels, I would get them built by old potatoe. No two ways about it. He is just that good.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Enve has a good warranty, however I've seen first hand several defective wheels, poor quality control from Enve. There are better and less expensive options out there.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Enve has a good warranty, however I've seen first hand several defective wheels, poor quality control from Enve. There are better and less expensive options out there.
I have also seen that from ENVE wheels.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 PM

Hah hah
Actually my Enve 3.4 were warrantied as well since when brand new they had poor QC issues. Enne sent new wheels pronto though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I have also seen that from ENVE wheels.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:34 PM

... yeah... The good warranty may be a product of poor QC... And not just benevolence...

Bespoke hand-builts over trendy crap... IMHO
Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 PM

It really depends on what you want from a wheelset. Do you live in a flat or hilly area, are you a big guy or skinny as a rail? And what's your budget?

in general, you always want stiff wheels, then light wheels feel snappy but deeper rims will be more aero which means it will hold speed better.

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 PM

I have several years riding experience with the Enve SES 3.4 wheels. I did have a warranty issue and they did handled it swiftly. There was something wonky going on with the brake track. They covered shipping both ways and laced the R45 into a new hoop and sent out a few sets of new pads to boot. For whatever it's worth, this was before they were purchased by Amer Sports, or Mavic. They were very nice wheels. No argument. However, would I purchase them new again? No. I say no because there are so many great options out now that are a going cost significantly less and still warrant a great wheelset.

My go to these days is a Belgium + to WI T11 or CLD or something similar. They build up beautifully and are bombproof. Maybe not the lightest, but meh. I've also built up some Enve's and they come into true, round and dish very very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 PM

Dura Ace 9170 C40 Tubeless. I guarantee you they are better than the Enve 3.4s
Old 03-27-2020, 03:40 AM

I have owned Enve 3.4, 4.5, and 6.7 in rim brake versions. In terms of rim depth, the 3.4 were my least favorite as I never enjoyed the aero advantage of the deeper rims. I have had no issue with QC, and Enve customer support and warranty policy ihave been great. So if you like Enve, I would not talk you out of them. Hed Belgiums laced to a quality hub are bomb proof but would typically make a heavier wheel than a carbon hoop, no?
My new Trek has Bontrager 60 mm wheels and I love them. Manageable in crosswinds and not heavy. Others have mentioned that Trek and Spesh have recently stepped their game in making quality wheels. I have crushed too many Zip, Reynolds and Corima's to go back.
Last aspect that I'm sure to get flamed for is that all of my wheels are tubular. I like the ride, tubular wheels are generally lighter, it is not an issue to carry a smaller 22mm tire as a spare that will get me home. I use tape instead of glue so the wheels always look new and it works great. I don't think tubeless with sealant is for me yet. Have fun.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:06 AM

Bontrager Aeolus 3V

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 05:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks
Yes, I have done some carbon wheelsets but a guy who has done LOTS..give him a shout, and he can design and built a set specifically for you and your needs..NOT a 'wheelouttabox'...

ERGOTT wheels

https://www.facebook.com/ErgottWheels-271476746235795/

ergottwheels@gmail.com