Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
didnt need to rush to build wheels after all. other wheels came through and are awesome sauce.

just finished this:

What wheels are these? 650b? Prebuilt? Curious to know where you got them, cost, and availability.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
What wheels are these? 650b? Prebuilt? Curious to know where you got them, cost, and availability.
these are handbuilts i bought from a forum pal, grand bois hubs, SUN rims.

if you look at the first post in this thread, i'm also in the process of building Velocity quill to some shimano hubs, DA rear, XT front.

i found out, unfortunately, when building this bike, rim brake 650B wheels are not easy to find these days!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
these are handbuilts i bought from a forum pal, grand bois hubs, SUN rims.

if you look at the first post in this thread, i'm also in the process of building Velocity quill to some shimano hubs, DA rear, XT front.

i found out, unfortunately, when building this bike, rim brake 650B wheels are not easy to find these days!
Thanks for the info, AngryScientist.

Yes, I'm well aware of the small selection of pre-built rim brake 650B wheels. It makes the prospect of converting older bikes to 650B more costly and less attractive now that 650B disc wheels and compatible frames are more plentiful and reasonably priced.

I've seen the Sun rims and wondered about them. I need another set of rim brake wheels and I may end up building something if I can't find less expensive pre-builts.

Ed.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
Thanks for the info, AngryScientist.

Yes, I'm well aware of the small selection of pre-built rim brake 650B wheels. It makes the prospect of converting older bikes to 650B more costly and less attractive now that 650B disc wheels and compatible frames are more plentiful and reasonably priced.

I've seen the Sun rims and wondered about them. I need another set of rim brake wheels and I may end up building something if I can't find less expensive pre-builts.

Ed.

Quality (QBP) has fairly nice one
LX/dyad
$139 front
$169 rear
$199 front with a Shimano dynamo

And one inexpensive/budget (no idea of the quality, no pun intended)
Sta-tru
$85.49 front
$104.49 rear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Quality (QBP) has fairly nice one
LX/dyad
$139 front
$169 rear
$199 front with a Shimano dynamo

And one inexpensive/budget (no idea of the quality, no pun intended)
Sta-tru
$85.49 front
$104.49 rear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yea, i had looked at those from various outlets. the sta-tru one's are no name parts i think, and the LX version look to be overbuilt with heavy spokes, etc - plus, i would have to re-space the rear to 130 (from 135).
Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Otherwise, I put new speakers and a head unit in on of our cars. Didn’t really need to, but I wanted better phone integration.
Nice -- what did you get? I had been looking at upgrading the headunit in my '13 outback because the bluetooth likes to drop out with my new phone (go figure...)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM
v a n i l l a

More fun with Thomson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Sewing machine running again making some jersey pouches. Thomson bags, wolftooth zipper pulls, and some crown royal bags for the liners.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Nice -- what did you get? I had been looking at upgrading the headunit in my '13 outback because the bluetooth likes to drop out with my new phone (go figure...)
I wish I could say I put a lot of thought in to it, but I quickly went with what Crutchfield suggested. My young brother was visiting, so it was something for us to work on together.

Head unit: Kenwood DNR876S
Speakers: PowerBass L2-652 and PowerBass L2-675 (I had limited choices since my car has a factory amp)

The head unit is pretty slick, probably overkill, but I wanted it to have GPS independent of the phones since we frequently find ourselves out of phone coverage areas. I'm very pleased with the results and how it all sounds. Definitely an improvement.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:25 PM
Wannabee Doofus

I’ve had this MX Leader in the loft for a couple of years, but now we’re on lockdown it seems a good time to be building it. I think I have everything I need for a 10s Chorus alloy build, and I have some spare Record hubs on Mavic SSC rims which should go nicely.

Main decision point is saddle and bar tape colour. I have a spare brown nubuck Flite, not sure if it’ll clash with the frame colour...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E795737D-3433-47B5-996B-DC37CB284591.jpeg (102.2 KB, 288 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerherzogsid View Post
One must occasionally contemplate life's deeper questions -- even if they are ultimately unknowable -- if only to re-affirm that we are more than carpenter ants, walking a scent line from one task to another until our inevitable demise.
Agreed. Deep ponderings such as these have stolen precious hours from my finite physical lifespan:
Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?
How much does the Sun weigh?
Can God make a rock so heavy he can’t pick it up?
Why do people listen to Dr. Phil?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
I'm working from home and accustomed to using a standing desk at the office. I've also been struggling with my trainer setup and disliked how I had to set up the laptop every time I wanted to ride. So, over the weekend I built a two position desk for standing and riding.

I wanted something a bit different than just a table, so I went with a cantilever style angled upright. There are currently to positions, I'll probably add a sitting position soon.

I'm not a carpenter or an engineer, so this is just a rough (very rough) proof of concept. I measured what desk height I would need for all 3 positions to determine what depth I would need. Using a 30-60-90 degree triangle I then knew lengths for the 2 sides. It's assembled with screw for the most part so I can disassemble it pretty easily.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Incase anyone wanted to see it with a bike under it (please ignore the gear closet explosion mess)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
I’ve had this MX Leader in the loft for a couple of years, but now we’re on lockdown it seems a good time to be building it. I think I have everything I need for a 10s Chorus alloy build, and I have some spare Record hubs on Mavic SSC rims which should go nicely.

Main decision point is saddle and bar tape colour. I have a spare brown nubuck Flite, not sure if it’ll clash with the frame colour...
Looks like a nice project. I think the brown saddle would look good if you can find bar tape that's close.

I have a Leader that I've been thinking of painting yellow and building with Centaur Century. I seem to get bogged down every time I start thinking about the details.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:59 PM

My project today was making brownies from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 PM

I have a '89 Centurion Le Mans that's been sitting unloved for many years. I cleaned it as best I could in my apartment. Then I replaced the cables, housing, brake levers, and tires. Bar tape up next after I dial in the positions.

Fortunately this bike uses mostly modern standards, so I've been able to work on my wrench skills and practice brake and shift adjustments. If I can find a cheap 650b wheelset, I may try a conversion.

Next up is building my first wheelset for the Space Horse.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 PM

I'll be finishing off this part of my basement, creating an exercise/paincave space.

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Tags
diy