Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
Great pic! I really need to get into building my own. Now would be a good time...
Perfect time, really.

I'm fortunate (?) enough to have been in the biz before. This was a truing stand that one of my then-former employees bought from me then gave me maybe 5 years later (he added the wood base - at the shop we just put it in a vise). He gave me a bunch of other stuff also, when he got out of cycling, but that was the big thing.

That wheel, though, took me for freaking ever. I probably spent a solid 3 hours building it, and most of it was painstakingly getting the spoke nipples, nipple washers, and spokes into place. I did screw up the "hub label -> valve hole" once so that involved unlacing a few spokes, but still.

Nowadays I'd much rather not wrench. But since I can build wheels I'll reluctantly build what wheels I need to build.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Nice rear wheel on the Dolan, Corima C+? What disc is that on the front? I also have a new C+ currently held up at my cross border mail box, I can't liberate until the quarantine border rules are opened up again.

Were you able to pick up the Cycle Ops, on Carleton's recommendation, inexpensively, looks like a good set up.
The rear is a C+, I was really lucky to pick it up. Cost less than the Zipp that I also bought (I jumped on a "less expensive" Zipp and got the C+ when it popped up). The front is actually a Stinger 9, you can barely see one spoke nipple; it was listed as a Stinger 7 and I bought it as a spare front for my road bike, but as a 9 I don't know if I'll use it on the road. It was really inexpensive so I decided to keep it.

I didn't look for a front disc since I figured T-Town wouldn't be ideal for it, and I (think I) have a TriSPoke front wheel, which I can't find now for some reason. Of course now T-Town is probably not happening, and even if it is I'm realistically not going to be prepared. Plus I'm down about 50% pay so everything is on hold. If it ends up that I go do Nationals in some indoor velodrome then I'll probably look for a front disc, but that's down the road.

I did get the Cycle Ops 300, $500. What's a bit crazy is the guy that was selling it needed me to pick it up quickly as he was heading out to Hanoi a few days later - and that was just as the COVID-19 stuff got crazy in China. His next stop was Europe, and based on his Facebook posts, he got stuck there (and may be still there, a month plus later).

I bought the CycleOps after gambling I could shorten the head tube substantially. I managed to do it. I did a few "practice starts" for the first time last night ("practice" in quotes because other than watching a bunch of YouTube clips I don't know what I'm doing, and I did it in PJs and just slipped my shoes on barefoot). I practically flipped over the bars the first lunge I made, the rear feet lifted off the ground. 135 lbs bike with a wheel that weighs 45 lbs so... I'm going to need to bolt it down to something longer, maybe either a big piece of plywood or a couple 2x4s lengthwise. I'm looking forward to doing some all out start efforts.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You chopped that head tube on a 45 below the clamp assembly? I can't wrap my head around that and how it now holds together...
Original:

The clamp assembly looked like a cast unit, with the clamping mech molded in. There were short welds, like spot welds (not sure of term) holding it in. When I peeked under the black plastic it looked like the cast piece had a stop on top - it was basically a big cap for the tube.

Therefore I figured I could cut the welds, remove the cast piece, cut the head tube, reattach the cast piece, and I'd be good. There is a rectangle section cut out of the head tube for the clamping bits and two slots for alignment purposes, so I cut those as well.

It took me maybe 4-5 hours of work. I think if I did it again I could do it in maybe a hard working hour because now I know what I need to do, how to do it, etc. For example I started with regular heavy duty cutting wheels. Now I know I can use larger, reinforced cutting wheels (and I need two of the latter to do more work than about 10 of the former). I cut down the cast piece three times to get it to sit lower and lower on the frame. Next time I'd cut it down once. I was following haircut rules - I can always cut it more but I can't grow it back.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:51 PM

i took out the seldom used tools to face the non drive side of a steel Fuji. the lockring wasnt seating flush against the bb shell so it would not adjust properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200403_192240.jpg (45.2 KB, 369 views)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Time to tackle a few things around the house
Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=carpediemracing;2688356]Original:

The clamp assembly looked like a cast unit, with the clamping mech molded in. There were short welds, like spot welds (not sure of term) holding it in. When I peeked under the black plastic it looked like the cast piece had a stop on top - it was basically a big cap for the tube.

Therefore I figured I could cut the welds, remove the cast piece, cut the head tube, reattach the cast piece, and I'd be good. There is a rectangle section cut out of the head tube for the clamping bits and two slots for alignment purposes, so I cut those as well.

It took me maybe 4-5 hours of work. I think if I did it again I could do it in maybe a hard working hour because now I know what I need to do, how to do it, etc. For example I started with regular heavy duty cutting wheels. Now I know I can use larger, reinforced cutting wheels (and I need two of the latter to do more work than about 10 of the former). I cut down the cast piece three times to get it to sit lower and lower on the frame. Next time I'd cut it down once. I was following haircut rules - I can always cut it more but I can't grow it back.

Now I get it. Thanks

I chopped my Gunnar head tube a few months ago.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM

My next project

Well, this is our family’s new project. We get it next weekend, and we are excited! First dog since I was a little kid, so we have no idea of what we’re doing, but we are all dog lovers and hey, we have all the time in the world!

My wife and I are working from home and our 8+10 yr olds have only so much learning time. They will learn how to pick up steaming dog poop now!!

My daughter missed three hours of sleep last night because she was ‘too excited to sleep’.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87933C5B-DBDE-4431-BC85-A66D7D2C3F93.jpg (123.7 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by d_douglas; 04-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Sourdough bread, writing/recording new music, putting in the hours on TrainerRoad. Also switched teaching trumpet lessons online, if anyone's interested/has kids to keep busy!
60726789689--B8E58FA7-6695-4CE9-84A4-DF7074E286DA.jpg
2B2E882C-5987-40B4-91EF-85A435687870.jpg
Old 04-04-2020, 10:27 PM

Red face

Not riding too much due to shelter and finally moved some parts around from an unused hard tail to my a mostly unused specialized tarmac I left sitting on a trainer. Geraring was too high for me in San Diego so I took a Sram XX 11-36 cassette and rear mech from mtb and fitted it to tarmac. Also swapped out 50 to 46 t chainring (my last 50t) on front to facilitate chain wrap/length.

Spliced in an in-line adjuster near derailleur for fine adjustment as none on mtb mechs.

Works great. This Tarmac is a surprisingly good bike, haven’t ridden it in ages but very stable and comfortable, fits 28mm tires (measured 28) with sufficient clearance. This was a mid level frame over 10 years ago and has bsa BB (without super oversized BB area) and 1 1/8 head tube i.e. not super stiff but that may be a good thing.
71B40FFB-E4DA-4997-9BA3-18BB0613EECE.jpg
Old 04-04-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Well, this is our family’s new project. We get it next weekend, and we are excited! First dog since I was a little kid, so we have no idea of what we’re doing, but we are all dog lovers and hey, we have all the time in the world!

My wife and I are working from home and our 8+10 yr olds have only so much learning time. They will learn how to pick up steaming dog poop now!!

My daughter missed three hours of sleep last night because she was ‘too excited to sleep’.
Beautiful pup!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:11 PM

Weekend carpentry project, build out an entry closet. Knotty pine tongue and groove exterior. Cedar tongue and groove on the interior. The back wall still needs cedar. Needs trim on the exterior as well. But overall I made good headway.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 02:45 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Noticed a tiny bit of apple cord fraying on my Thunderbolt display. Reinforced with some clear heat shrink and borrowed a heat gun from a neighbor. Pretty cool stuff.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:

My Mom has a mini Aussie- omg it’s got energy-
Old 04-06-2020, 06:45 PM
#RYFB

Quote:

As impressive as some of the projects listed are, this is the hands-down winner.
I can't imagine how much worse this situation would be without our pup.
What fun!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:13 PM

I haven't made the progress with the blog that I'd hoped to, but I've thus far done a pretty good job of going through and organizing//streamlining all my stuff. It's kind of weird thinking that this is probably the most organized I've ever been in my life.

Another project would be selling and/or getting rid of numerous bike things, but the selling part likely won't move as well as I'd like since the market for small high end bike stuff wasn't exactly big before the current economic conditions.

The most important quarantine project has been staying employed and productive with work.

Tags
diy