Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM

When is the right time to just part out a bike?

I have 2 CX bikes hanging on the wall behind me right now. 1- my trusty Fuji Cross 2.0 56cm that fits me perfectly... 2- 2017 Raleigh RX2.0 56cm that I bought on impulse via the eBay sale back in the Fall.

The Raleigh just rides too small for me, and my toes seem to cross WAY more on technical stuff than the Fuji. Which is weird because all the geo angles look like the Raleigh would be the same or larger-riding, but whatever.

At this point, I've been low-balled a couple of times and I'm pretty tempted to just keep the Raleigh and move the Rival 1 over to my Fuji.

I guess my point of this thread is for the guys who have bikes that are totally fine already... What makes you pull the trigger on parting them out? or robbing parts for another bike in general?

And because we all love pictures.

Last edited by BRad704; 12-15-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM

I think, generally, you'll get more $$$ return if you part bikes out, selling the frame apart from it's components.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM

I'm wrestling with a similar dilemma myself, wish I had an easy answer for you because it will help me lol.

I have a Kelly Bonsetock with Campy and lately I'm having issues with small, annoying things and I'm almost ready to strip the frame bare and hang Shimano on it to make my life easier. However, I still haven't been able to do it ...
Old 12-15-2017, 02:12 PM

When the monetary value of the bike outweighs the enjoyment/personal value I get from keeping it. That's when I send it along. If I can afford to put in the effort, I typically part out as that's where you'll get the best return for dollar to apply to other projects. If time is more valuable, I do my best to move it whole, knowing I won't do as well on return.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 PM

If I got a good enough deal on it, I don't feel bad about robbing the group for another build. Sell/trade the frameset off and move on.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM

when your wife gives you a rash of !^$!!# about your bikes. then you say fine, i'll sell [x], then show her the cash.

and then go buy some other bike stuff.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I think, generally, you'll get more $$$ return if you part bikes out, selling the frame apart from it's components.
+1 - but you have to enjoy (or tolerate) the process of boxing and shipping things individually vs. one-and-done.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
when your wife gives you a rash of !^$!!# about your bikes. then you say fine, i'll sell [x], then show her the cash.

and then go buy some other bike stuff.

I've been VERY fortunate on this one.. She knows about every bike purchase and totally supports my habit... err, hobby....

Thanks for all the input everyone. I always enjoy hearing what what goes through your minds on topics like these.

I stood and looked at both bikes several times today and I think I've decided to leave the Raleigh intact and until I get a reasonable offer, I'll save it for my 14yo son to ride when he comes over if I don't sell it.

The Fuji is already SRAM Rival, but set up as a SingleSpeed. I can put her back together as a 1x with a new front ring and it'd be a whole new bike for me anyway.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 PM

This has always been an internal debate for me as well. When I owned a home for 10 years, had multiple bikes, had a dedicated bike storage and work space, and was always swapping stuff out, I never felt like I had the time or desire to part stuff out and sell it individually. The one time I did, I felt like every knucklehead on the 'bay or the 'list was trying to low-ball me so they could make sure their build had the best parts at the cheapest prices. Their mindset is always, I need to get this part cheap because the next one from another person might be more expensive.

The few times I sold complete bikes, I felt like I was dealing with a different type of person/customer. They were looking for a quality "used" product that they could use immediately (add pedals and saddle then go ride). They also wanted a good deal but I was competing against "new" bikes rather than thousands of people with used parts. It would usually take longer to sell a complete bike but I was never in a rush and always held out for my price.

More than once someone showed up with cash and tried to low ball-ball me assuming I would cave. I would thank them for their offer, tell them to have a nice day, and if they wanted to meet my price I would gladly sell them the bike otherwise I was leaving:
- Most times I would never hear from them again.
- A few times they would call back, offer my asking price, and come get the bike the next day.
- My favorite is when they would call back a week later and offer the same low-ball price. No matter what, I always told them it was sold to someone else. If it was sold they missed their chance but even if I still had the bike, I was not going to sell it to them because they would be back a few days later complaining that something was wrong and they wanted their money back.

I refuse to deal with low-ballers. I set fair prices that are set to move an item and I do not negotiate. It has always worked as long as you do not get greedy with your price and understand the true market value of what you are selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
+1 - but you have to enjoy (or tolerate) the process of boxing and shipping things individually vs. one-and-done.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-16-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:39 PM

If you aren't really happy with your current rig, you should probably just sell it to a new owner soon, even if for less money. I think you'll be happy to find yourself on a new rig sooner and you'll have more overall enjoyment even if it means you won't be getting the maximum return on your current ride.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM
cmg

pull the parts off the Raleigh and sell the frame/fork on eBay or Craigslist. remove the headset. you will take less of a loss, it will be easier to ship, you'll only need to buy a new frame and fork and you'll have the parts for your next impulse buy. the goal is to lose the least and be prepared for the next arrival. sell in the spring or summer for maximum effect.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
pull the parts off the Raleigh and sell the frame/fork on eBay or Craigslist. remove the headset. you will take less of a loss, it will be easier to ship, you'll only need to buy a new frame and fork and you'll have the parts for your next impulse buy. the goal is to lose the least and be prepared for the next arrival. sell in the spring or summer for maximum effect.

This might have merit for me. It would make a great start on a 1x Disc road bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk