Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM

OPINIONS: E13 TRS dropper post

MTB content here.

I have a Specialized dropper post that is giving me grief and am thinking about getting rid of it. It is OK, but now it wont fully extend and I just see the maintenance being endless on it ($75 here, $100 there...)

When I was buying a Fox post for my hardtail last year, E13 was just coming out with a new dropper, but it wasn't being distributed quite yet, so I went with Fox (which has been fine, BTW).

As for the FS bike, I like the idea of something super simple and lowtech, and the E13 seems to have this in spades, while still functioning very well.

I have read a couple of good reviews on the post, but nothing from real life users. Has anyone here actually bought and used this dropper post and if so, what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 PM

My only experience is with the Rock Shox Reverb. Had good reviews for durability and the 2015 model is on sale at JensenUSA.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Go back to looking at the Fox Transfer instead. I haven’t heard good or bad about the e13, but I know first hand how reliable the Fox is. I have a newer reverb too which has also been excellent.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Hmmm, nothing?! The Reverb is out - they’re constantly breaking down where I live - maybe from wet and cold? Those are too complicated. The transfer post has been good - I might just buy another...
Old 12-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Two Transfer posts and one Reverb for me. The Transfer is far superior. If you get a new one, try the Wolf Tooth remote instead of the Fox. Like buttah.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

The E13 certainly seems simple.... I don't know anyone running it, however. Most my friends are running the KS Lev, Fox Transfer, Reverb or the Thomson.

As far as the Command Post goes, mine gets finicky from time to time (about every 6-7 rides). It starts rising more slowly and stops wanting to go all the way up. When that happens when I'm riding, I have to stand up on the pedals, pinch the seat with my upper legs and pull up the post manually till the post tops out.

Once that starts happening, I put a thin coat of Slick Honey brand grease on the riser part of the post, then cycle the dropper post up and down several times. That works to keep it going smooth again for a while.

If you have the same symptoms, try getting some slick honey and lube the post from time to time before replacing it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the great suggestion - mine is doing the same.

As I live in Canada and might not have the same brands as in CA, what exactly is Slick Honey’? Is there a generic name that I could ask for in Canada? I know my LBS will just want to ship it to have it serviced, so spending a few bucks and trying myself seems great to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
The E13 certainly seems simple.... I don't know anyone running it, however. Most my friends are running the KS Lev, Fox Transfer, Reverb or the Thomson.

As far as the Command Post goes, mine gets finicky from time to time (about every 6-7 rides). It starts rising more slowly and stops wanting to go all the way up. When that happens when I'm riding, I have to stand up on the pedals, pinch the seat with my upper legs and pull up the post manually till the post tops out.

Once that starts happening, I put a thin coat of Slick Honey brand grease on the riser part of the post, then cycle the dropper post up and down several times. That works to keep it going smooth again for a while.

If you have the same symptoms, try getting some slick honey and lube the post from time to time before replacing it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Thanks for the great suggestion - mine is doing the same.

As I live in Canada and might not have the same brands as in CA, what exactly is Slick Honey’? Is there a generic name that I could ask for in Canada? I know my LBS will just want to ship it to have it serviced, so spending a few bucks and trying myself seems great to me!
Here you go (Amazon Canada link to the Slick Honey grease):https://www.amazon.ca/Buzzys-Slick-H...ds=slick+honey

The KS Post Paste works equally well (in fact, I think it's the same formulation): https://www.amazon.ca/Shock-Post-Pas...=KS+Lev+grease

If you prefer to shop local, but can't find either brand at your local bike shop, ask them for some "SRAM Butter" grease. That is the same grease as well, I believe.

http://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Butter...rease-1Oz-Tub/

Whichever one you get (i've used both KS and Slick Honey brands), just rub a thin layer all around the post shaft, then cycle the post up and down quickly several times, then lightly wipe off the excess.

Also, this youtube video shows you how to take the Command Post apart to do a bit of more extensive/complete internal clean up and re-grease... I've done it, and it's as easy as seen on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0X3sLMo-TA

One more thing: Check your tightness of the seatpost binder. If it's too tight, that can put pressure on the dropper post internals and cause the post to bind a bit. I have one of those cheap Ritchey torque tools that is preset to 5 or 6 newton meters (I can't recall), but it's the proper manufacturers recommended spec for the frame.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 12-14-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:11 AM

E13 Review

Bike Mag review of E13

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-...546736E2A0CED1

Wish this one came in 27.2
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM

That’s a new (to me) review. Sounds pretty positive...