Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 AM

We're riding bikes, not Knights of the Round Table passing each other demanding signs of chivalry.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
My conclusion is there is something about the pavement that makes people anti-social. That's why my road rides are taking place more and more on dirt/gravel roads.
It's geographical then. You can be riding in the AZ desert and not have seen anyone for an hour and someone invariably will be coming the other way on the single track without any acknowledgement or without ceding an inch of the trail. I often wondered if it is time or location, as my memory of when I lived in CO (13 years ago) was that when you met someone on the trail, you could expect to be stopped for 15 minutes whilst you became acquainted.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
I don't think anyone is expecting every cyclist to sit up and wave, say hello and start a conversation. Maybe I expect too much, but for some reason I expect some form of courtesy from fellow cyclists. If you can't or don't want to wave, fine, I get it, you're in the zone, setting a Strava PR on your TT bike in your full kit and would crash if you lifted a finger off the bars. How about a nob? Maybe even just making eye contact to acknowledge a fellow cyclist? But no, 90% of the road cyclists around here completely ignore other riders. Or maybe it's just me they are ignoring? Casual cyclist and mountain bikers are the opposite, with 90% giving some kind of greeting.

And runners are the exact same. Road runners snubbing and trail runners being friendly.

My conclusion is there is something about the pavement that makes people anti-social. That's why my road rides are taking place more and more on dirt/gravel roads.
Do you wave at people that drive the same kind of car as you?

When I got my Beetle in 2000, new Beetle owners did wave to each other..always thought that was kinda weird, like in some sort of 'club' or 'special' in some way. I donno, I normally ride alone, don't wave, I guess if somebody does....

What irks me A LOT is when people pass w/o saying anything. NO, I don't want to be their life long friend but if I gotta swerve to miss a prairie dog, I'd like to know the guy is there so I don't take us both down...

It just doesn't matter to me..not all evangelical about it, even about bikes, a tool, not a trophy', as San Walling of Soulcraft lies to say.

Bikes are keen, amazing design but I'm not surgically joined to one..if I couldn't ride, I do somethin' else.

IMHO, of course, 'pal'.

Quote:
We're riding bikes, not Knights of the Round Table passing each other demanding signs of chivalry.
Just saw this..YUP.....
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

When I got my Beetle in 2000, new Beetle owners did wave to each other..always thought that was kinda weird, like in some sort of 'club' or 'special' in some way. I donno, I normally ride alone, don't wave, I guess if somebody does....

What irks me A LOT is when people pass w/o saying anything. NO, I don't want to be their life long friend but if I gotta swerve to miss a prairie dog, I'd like to know the guy is there so I don't take us both down...

It just doesn't matter to me..not all evangelical about it, even about bikes, a tool, not a trophy', as San Walling of Soulcraft lies to say.

Bikes are keen, amazing design but I'm not surgically joined to one..if I couldn't ride, I do somethin' else.

IMHO, of course, 'pal'.

Just saw this..YUP.....
Hey didn't they have flowers on the dash of those VW's? What a cult, lol.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You guys are all making me laugh. No kidding, I love it Here in Ma. when it's a nice day after some crappy weather I get the wave and give it back or just give it after awhile riding motorcycles. I don't know why people do it except to say they are just happy to be on their bikes on a nice day I guess.

Oh and I think the purpose of a bike forum is to be a bit of a bike snob, lol. fwiw I love cheap bikes though.

for the sake of safety I like both hands on the handlebars but since I don't wanna rub off as a jerk I wave too.

Last edited by gemship; 12-15-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: for the sake of safety
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Actually, yes. It's referred to as the Jeep wave We can argue the merits of that one, just as motorcyclists or more specifically Harley riders acknowledge each other on the road.

I feel that someone else is out enjoying a ride, putting in the miles, shares similar interests as myself then why not acknowledge them? Especially when passing or coming up behind them on a ride. For safety, yes, but also to be courteous. I'm out with my dog, I don't just put my head down and walk by another dog owner. Some of this just comes back to being sociable and friendly. Doesn't take much energy, but yes if it's not a safe situation, I'm not going to wave etc. But if I come across someone stopped, regardless if they are on a Walmart special or the latest carbon high-tech creation I always ask if they need help etc.

I could not agree more that roadies tend to be extremely snobby vs. the triathletes/runners/mountain bikers/rando-guys. Yes it's one-upmanship. The bike is sign of status. I don't worry about what they are riding. If I blow by them it doesn't matter. But I would be more interested in talking to them about the bits and parts, you know, bike stuff.

Someone made the point a few pages back that cycling your are competing against others unlike running etc. where people are concerned with their PR. I think cycling would have wider adoption (racing at least) if there was a circuit not based on Cat but on age group like these other events. The logic of having a 50-something Cat 5 racing against a 20-something Cat 5 doesn't seem right. Anyway that's a soapbox for another thread.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM

I first started riding Ducati’s back in 1994. Hardly ever saw one on the road. Now they are everywhere. Ducati guys are wavers. One ride in the hills requires about 50 return waves!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
It's geographical then. You can be riding in the AZ desert and not have seen anyone for an hour and someone invariably will be coming the other way on the single track without any acknowledgement or without ceding an inch of the trail. I often wondered if it is time or location, as my memory of when I lived in CO (13 years ago) was that when you met someone on the trail, you could expect to be stopped for 15 minutes whilst you became acquainted.
This. I wouldn't be waving at people if I was riding along the lakeshore in Chicago or Toronto either. But I live in a small city of 30,000 people surrounded by corn fields and a few villages. In my anecdote there was absolutely no one around, and I hadn't seen a car in several minutes.

That this master-of-the-universe decided to buzz by me with inches to spare, in the middle of nowhere, without a quick wave or hello as is customary around here, was totally bizarre.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
A bike is not judged by how cheap or how expensive it is.
"Is not" or "should not be"?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
This. I wouldn't be waving at people if I was riding along the lakeshore in Chicago or Toronto either. But I live in a small city of 30,000 people surrounded by corn fields and a few villages. In my anecdote there was absolutely no one around, and I hadn't seen a car in several minutes.

That this master-of-the-universe decided to buzz by me with inches to spare, in the middle of nowhere, without a quick wave or hello as is customary around here, was totally bizarre.
True

Context and environment are almost everything. I certainly can't wave at everyone on the lakefront path. Middle of Wisconsin or on a rural tour. Certainly.

People love to nod at folks they believe are in the same tribe when riding the lakefront.

Bikes
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Context and environment are almost everything. I certainly can't wave at everyone on the lakefront path. Middle of Wisconsin or on a rural tour. Certainly.
I was only once offended by another cyclist not acknowledging my existence. It was on a rural road in upstate NY where you see a car every 30 minutes or so, and a bicycle never. I was taking it easy on a gentle climb, and I was startled to see a cyclist pass me from behind. I yelled out "Hi!" but he didn't turn around.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Wow, I had forgotten about my post, and it looks like I got lit up in the meantime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Can’t tell if serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
I think those cats are riding at 95% of their max HR while having forgotten their inhalers at home. That or they're trying to avoid the potholes on the Mean Streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
I went for a long ride the day my mom died to help deal with the grief.

sorry if I was distracted and didn't return your gesture.
Quote:
Ever talk to a therapist?
Nice, thanks for the advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Sure, there are good reasons why folks don't wave. Yours would be one of those. However, I think that the point being made here is that riders are generally more snobbish full of themselves etc. in comparison to other comparable sports. I agree wholeheartedly. Being a roadie for over 30 years now I can attest to this. Bikes become status symbols and ability becomes a status symbol. More snobbery on our branch of the tree than the others. Many reasons as to why.
This was my point. Of course there are times when we can't waive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i have no idea what this thread is about or what on earth is going on with the forum lately. there seems to be quite a bit of pot stirring and snarky comments recently, and i dont like it.

c'mon folks, we're better than that.
Yep, people seem pretty snarky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Actually, yes. It's referred to as the Jeep wave We can argue the merits of that one, just as motorcyclists or more specifically Harley riders acknowledge each other on the road.

I feel that someone else is out enjoying a ride, putting in the miles, shares similar interests as myself then why not acknowledge them? Especially when passing or coming up behind them on a ride. For safety, yes, but also to be courteous. I'm out with my dog, I don't just put my head down and walk by another dog owner. Some of this just comes back to being sociable and friendly. Doesn't take much energy, but yes if it's not a safe situation, I'm not going to wave etc. But if I come across someone stopped, regardless if they are on a Walmart special or the latest carbon high-tech creation I always ask if they need help etc.

I could not agree more that roadies tend to be extremely snobby vs. the triathletes/runners/mountain bikers/rando-guys. Yes it's one-upmanship. The bike is sign of status. I don't worry about what they are riding. If I blow by them it doesn't matter. But I would be more interested in talking to them about the bits and parts, you know, bike stuff.

Someone made the point a few pages back that cycling your are competing against others unlike running etc. where people are concerned with their PR. I think cycling would have wider adoption (racing at least) if there was a circuit not based on Cat but on age group like these other events. The logic of having a 50-something Cat 5 racing against a 20-something Cat 5 doesn't seem right. Anyway that's a soapbox for another thread.
Yep, no hurt in a wave.

Quote:
True

People love to nod at folks they believe are in the same tribe when riding the lakefront.

Bikes

Of course, that makes sense.

So, my point was that it takes effort to ignore as well. Roadies have the reputation of breaking laws, being snobs, etc, so I try my best to be friendly to bikes and other cars to try to help improve the image of cycling, and to also be nice and friendly. Yes, when I am digging in and heading for a PR or blowing off steam from a bad day, I may not feel like smiling and sitting up to wave, but a flick of my hand from the hoods or a nod is still pretty easy.

Yes, sometimes I also wave to someone else who has the same car as me. Why not? When is being friendly a crime?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Being polite is something you do for other people, not something you demand be done for you.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I was only once offended by another cyclist not acknowledging my existence. It was on a rural road in upstate NY where you see a car every 30 minutes or so, and a bicycle never. I was taking it easy on a gentle climb, and I was startled to see a cyclist pass me from behind. I yelled out "Hi!" but he didn't turn around.
I think that is exactly the point. As has been said above, you're not going to expect to (or want to) make contact with someone everywhere you go, but in a rural area - which is mostly where I ride - it is just flat out weird if you pass someone on a narrow road, make a friendly gesture, and get NOTHING in return. Sure, reciprocation is not 'mandatory', but it is also not unreasonable to expect some kind of simple common courtesy when the situation merits. That said, in my experience, the vast majority of people are great. It's often the one with the $10-15K bike, and no gas in the tank, who can't be bothered with such niceties....
Old 12-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Being polite is something you do for other people, not something you demand be done for you.
well said

Tags
pal