Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 08:10 AM

Specialized recalls Allez road bikes

Specialized issues ’Stop Ride/Stop Sell’ on three 2018 Allez road bike models due to fork issue

MORGAN HILL, Calif. (BRAIN) — On Wednesday, Specialized Bicycle Components issued a notice to riders and retailers to stop riding and stop selling the following 2018 Allez bicycle models: Allez, Allez Sport, and Allez Elite.

The company said the action is due to a potential manufacturing defect that could result in fork failure and injury to the rider. There have been no reported injuries. Worldwide, this action involves approximately 13,000 bicycles sold to riders and retailers.

Owners of affected models should stop riding immediately and take their bicycle back to any authorized Specialized Retailer in order to initiate a planned fork replacement process, and collect a $75 customer appreciation credit. Specialized said it will take until mid- to late-January to obtain necessary approvals and until late February to source a sufficient quantity of forks for the recall.

For further information and periodic updates, visit: specialized.com/safety-notices.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recal...e#.WjKFDHJOnmq
Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 AM

I wonder how retailers will store the bikes until the forks are available. What will a one-bike person ride in the meanwhile?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Ken I'd also like to know how Specialized is going to take care of their dealers with this.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:05 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wonder how retailers will store the bikes until the forks are available. What will a one-bike person ride in the meanwhile?
its winter-time....a one-bike Allez rider very likely doesn't ride winter either.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Amazing that they've sold that many bikes.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
its winter-time....a one-bike Allez rider very likely doesn't ride winter either.

I was tempted to say the same thing, but if you live in Florida, Gulf Coast, most of Texas, AZ, NM or a good portion of California, this isn't winter, it's just "arm and knee-warmer season".

If I were a one-bike Allez rider, I would be asking my shop to throw another fork on there until the permanent replacement showed up. If I were the shop, I might be trying to get the riders I knew were serious on a Tarmac or a Roubaix for an extended test run to see if I could sell them another bike.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Older Than You

Not good timing just before Christmas.
You can ride year round in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:51 PM

If I was an Allez owner, I'd be mad that I get a $75 "appreciation" for not being able to ride my bike for at least a month and a half and likely more. Even when they get replacement forks to all their dealers, how many can a small shop do in a week? Also, what about owners who don't have easy access to a Spec dealer?

If I was a dealer I'd be really ticked off. As mentioned upthread, they have to store existing Allez inventory off the sales floor. I wonder how much Spec is going to reimburse them for each fork swap, but my guess is that it won't be cover expenses beyond just the labor. Some customers will direct their frustration towards the shop itself, especially if they have to wait a while to get a rideable bike. Someone mentioned providing loaner bikes, but that's a big depreciation of assets for a shop that does it.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Even when they get replacement forks to all their dealers, how many can a small shop do in a week?
I would imagine most shops can knock out all the Allez bikes they sold in a day, its a bout a 1/2 hour job to replace a fork, especially in February if that is actually when the new forks arrive.

I agree that many customers will take out frustration on their shop, and shops probably won't be too well compensated for the warranty work to boot.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:52 PM

13k units worldwide. it's definitely not winter worldwide right now. sure there'll be lots of peeved people. but hopefully nobody gets hurt from this issue. and luckily they were able to catch it pretty quickly. guessing the 2018 bikes have only been selling for a few months...?

shame it wasn't something they could just have the dealers inspect for and return on an as-needed basis. i.e. it's less of a "manufacturing defect" and more of a "whoops!"
Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaD_TmlNeI
Old 12-14-2017, 05:27 PM
AZ Slowpoke

I would surmise that the fault is pretty damn serious to result in this action. If that's the case, they've done to right thing and potentially spared someones life. I can't imagine a catastrophic fork failure on a 60 kph descent.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:29 AM
Head to Ned

Specialized recalls Allez road bikes

You had me worried there for a minute!

Thankfully no SE listed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82 Allez SE.jpg (121.6 KB, 148 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Ken I'd also like to know how Specialized is going to take care of their dealers with this.
Recalls always 'hurt' the retailer, both economically and in terms of reputation(eve tho it normally isn't their fault)..And retailers never get 'just' compensation for the recall, in spite of what the manufacturer claims..

It will always 'seem' like the manufacturer is concerned, CONCERNED about the end user but they often forget the retailer is their 'customer' also.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:09 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I was tempted to say the same thing, but if you live in Florida, Gulf Coast, most of Texas, AZ, NM or a good portion of California, this isn't winter, it's just "arm and knee-warmer season".

If I were a one-bike Allez rider, I would be asking my shop to throw another fork on there until the permanent replacement showed up. If I were the shop, I might be trying to get the riders I knew were serious on a Tarmac or a Roubaix for an extended test run to see if I could sell them another bike.
great point....ok, maybe I should say 'an Allez rider is very unlikely to be a year-round rider?' I think there's maybe 20 cyclists out there who're gonna be really, really mad and most bike shops I know have a small fleet of loaner bikes. Also will be February when they new forks come in....not really the busiest time of the year. Great opportunity to sell another bike though. Every real cyclist out there has their main ride and at least one back-up ride.