Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I'll echo the 'keep the road bike' sentiment, but add 'buy a garage queen mtn bike.' You can get very nice mtn bikes for pennies on the dollar 'cause someone thinks a new bike will cure his riding woes.

I love mtn biking, but hate driving to go riding. Makes mtn biking where I am now tough 'cause all the trails are at least 30min away by car

M
That would be tough for me as well. My trails are within a couple of miles from my house and I usually just ride out from my garage. There are other trails further away. For those, I have used my Warbird to ride as a mixed terrain ride (70-80 miles). However, as joostx found, some of the chunky trails are painful or cannot be ridden at all, even with 700x40-45 tires.

I have ridden my hard tail with a rigid fork on these rides which performed well. Fast rolling 29x2.2” tires seem to be the ticket for me, mounted on a light, lively frame. I am now exploring using the wheelset on a drop bar bike, like a Cutthroat. But cannot get over the touring geometry. I’ll most likely have to go custom as well, but enjoying the rigid MTB for the moment.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 PM

Don't place your deposit till you have cash in hand for the road bike. Resale value may not be what you expect.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Don't place your deposit till you have cash in hand for the road bike. Resale value may not be what you expect.
Thank you for the sage advice. If I don’t sell my road bike then I will still have the best riding road bike I have ever ridden. Pretty good apples any way you look at it.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-05-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I'll echo the 'keep the road bike' sentiment, but add 'buy a garage queen mtn bike.' You can get very nice mtn bikes for pennies on the dollar 'cause someone thinks a new bike will cure his riding woes.

I love mtn biking, but hate driving to go riding. Makes mtn biking where I am now tough 'cause all the trails are at least 30min away by car

M
I am lucky the trails to Mt Tam begin about a mile from my house. I don’t plan for this to be a garage queen. It’ll get ridden at least once a week.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I am lucky the trails to Mt Tam begin about a mile from my house. I don’t plan for this to be a garage queen. It’ll get ridden at least once a week.
I think he's suggesting that, instead of buying a new bike, buy someone esle's used garage queen for pennies on the dollar, and it will be nearly new.

Fwiw, I would not sell the Festka. If your road bike were a production bike or a more common boutique brand, I would say go ahead and sell the road bike since you could get back into it later without much trouble or expense if you end up regretting the sale.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 PM
ZhugeLiang

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214508
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thats funny. It really is not much of a big decision. If someone has the cash and desire to buy the Festka then I sell it and I get the mountain bike "now". If not, then I keep the Festka and buy the mountain bike "later." I think I am cool with either situation.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-06-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

joosttx pal, I know, just kidding. In a way, this thread is like ...

Last edited by weisan; 12-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Since its winter....

I have a gravel bike which I spend 80% of my bike riding time on, a brand new road bike (delivered in August) and an errand bike. The gravel bike I really ride on mountain bike trails and fire roads of Marin. The bike is fine but it does show its limits descending on technical stuff. I got the jones for a mountain bike which would open the trails up a bit more compared to my gravel bike. If I buy one I plan to go custom probably with 44 as his bikes are so rad.

I am wondering if I should sell my road bike to fund the mountain bike buy. The gravel could become my road bike although my road bike is far superior on the road. What are the downsides not having a dedicated road bike? What are your thoughts giving up a road bike for a mountain bike?

This:

photo credit Derek Yara

to

This

The downside of not having a dedicated road bike is not having a dedicated road bike. It's similar to the downside of not having a dedicated mountain bike for mountain bike trails. A gravel bike is a very versatile and wonderful ride - I have 2. But they excel in mixed road/trail type rides. That is they cover a lot of the spectrum between full road and mountain but are a compromise at the extremes. My friends that sold their Tarmacs to buy a Diverge have now bought new Tarmacs So you really need 3 bikes. So hold onto the road and gravel bikes and try to add a true mountain bike.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 PM

Sell it
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM

You a crazy man! What you should really do is keep the Festka and instead sell the mosaic and get a 650b gravel bike replacement and the mtb. Something like the Soulcraft option might fit into that budget option along with the 44 or whatever steel mtb you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
You a crazy man! What you should really do is keep the Festka and instead sell the mosaic and get a 650b gravel bike replacement and the mtb. Something like the Soulcraft option might fit into that budget option along with the 44 or whatever steel mtb you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soulcraft isnt making bikes full time or at all anymore. So, I am told.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 PM

Well, I wrote a check today to Kris Henry at 44 Bikes for a place in the queue. Hopefully, I will have a new hardtail mountain bike before our annual summer vacation to Tahoe. BTW, I did not sell the Festka.

Now I got to figure out the color of the MTB..... decisions, decisions.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well, I wrote a check today to Kris Henry at 44 Bikes for a place in the queue. Hopefully, I will have a new hardtail mountain bike before our annual summer vacation to Tahoe. BTW, I did not sell the Festka.

Well, I believe Kris Henry would say black.

With an orange Stepcast fork, maybe?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx;2279428articles
Titanium is silver.