Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 03:21 PM

I'm in the process of moving the whole fleet to 32 3x Record to some kind of double wall box section rim - some Archetypes, some DTs, some Open Pros. Probably going to find something new to replace the OPs as they wear out, but in general I have no complaints.

John
Old 12-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Agree with the post above. It is just as important or maybe more important on who builds your wheel. My last two sets were Sugar wheels in Portland and Joe Young in Texas. Both sets are outstanding. That builder in Boulder would also do a great job.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
DT350, Record, shimano hubs laced to DT, Velocity Or H+Son rims using Sapim Race Or DT Comp spokes, 32/32 laced 3 cross, brass nipps.
I am so calling up Ancient Spud for my next set of wheels!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Spud is currently building a Record/Archetype set for me now. Looking forward to riding them.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
As a forum heavyweight, usually between 220 and 255, I have broken more than my fair share of wheels over the years. I am of the belief that a good wheel builder is more important than the bits used to build the wheels.

I use a cranky and opinionated ex navy pilot in Boulder who builds great wheels when he isn't insulting sram on the forum. You also have Peter White just down the road from you in Hillsborough, who was my wheel builder before I starting using Old P. Peter White is even more cranky and opinionated, but he can build a good wheel. In addition, he will refuse to use components he doesn't approve, so you get good bits with him.

For my last few sets, I've picked up some new 6800 hubs on ebay and built them with Archetypes and have been very happy.
Huzzah!! and FIFY. Hard to believe but true... I'll only refuse to build with a few things...

I'm just pleased manufacturer's still make great hubs, and some really excellent rims and spokes...it would be a shame if all the wheels were some factory compromise with big decals.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 AM

I'm not suggesting the WI hubs aren't high quality and reliable, but when I think about posts I've seen regarding issues I do recall seeing them for WI (usually bearing fitment), but not really for DT Swiss. The DT350 hubs seem super solid to me. The only WI set I've had (H2) had bearing play issues.

I'm sure I'll build with DT350 again, though I'm pretty much set on wheels right now.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Administrator

DA hubs, IMO currently have one of the best systems for dealing with any bearing play developed. the WI system works, but is a little wonky, you need to use a bushing or socket to dial out the play, and their teeny tiny set screw is liable to foul with dirt or mud if you ride in crap conditions. enter DA, a few hex keys and fingers are all that's needed. super smooth bearings, nice freehub and come with a superb set of skewers.

matt - if you're building new, go DA>WI

Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
DA hubs, IMO currently have one of the best systems for dealing with any bearing play developed. the WI system works, but is a little wonky, you need to use a bushing or socket to dial out the play, and their teeny tiny set screw is liable to foul with dirt or mud if you ride in crap conditions. enter DA, a few hex keys and fingers are all that's needed. super smooth bearings, nice freehub and come with a superb set of skewers.

matt - if you're building new, go DA>WI

But yikes, they have gotten soooo expensive. I get the Ti FHB but geez....Hard to beat mentioned DT350....lotsa drillings, very reliable, about 1/2$ of DA.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-17-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 AM

How do the less-expensive Shimano hubs compare to the DA hubs? I think some years ago the difference between DA and Ultegra was minimal.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Shimano continues to produce loose bearing ball hubs because it is tried, true and allows easy servicing and adjusting to perfection. For a set of road wheels like Matt is looking to use they are top tier.

The down sides become more evident when other technologies evolve. Once you get into disc brakes and thru axles and trying to swap wheels Shimano is pretty much out.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How do the less-expensive Shimano hubs compare to the DA hubs? I think some years ago the difference between DA and Ultegra was minimal.
Very little difference except for titanium FH body, when compared to 6800. Still don't understand why DA are so expensive and Ultegra are still a bargain..either DA way overpriced or 6800 way underpriced(or maybe a little of both)..
Old 12-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Shimano continues to produce loose bearing ball hubs because it is tried, true and allows easy servicing and adjusting to perfection. For a set of road wheels like Matt is looking to use they are top tier.

The down sides become more evident when other technologies evolve. Once you get into disc brakes and thru axles and trying to swap wheels Shimano is pretty much out.
?? shimano's lineup of disc, TA hubs is quite excellent..and still cup and ball. And they work just fine on some dirt rig. I just built a set of shimano CX hubs to DT460DB rims and hubs(and rims) were excellent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (16.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpeg shimano-xtr-boost-front-hub-copy-278770-1.jpeg (6.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
?? shimano's lineup of disc, TA hubs is quite excellent..and still cup and ball. And they work just fine on some dirt rig. I just built a set of shimano CX hubs to DT460DB rims and hubs(and rims) were excellent...
In the quote you highlighted the operative word is "swap". Shimano's design doesn't allow the changing of axle standards unless you know something I don't. I didn't say the hubs aren't up to whatever job you choose them for. But, swapping between 15/12/QR isn't possible with Shimano. Ask 10 people who use disc wheels if this is important to them and the the majority will tell you it is.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:07 AM

Two cents worth without any help:

I had T11 hubs built to TB14s for a custom bike, and had super annoying failure of the rear hub. The shop told me straight up, and I paraphrase "these hubs are amazing but they require very specific set up that whoever built these probably wasn't aware of."

I had the bearings and FH replaced and it's been fine since, but that is not an expense you can easily swallow at 5000 miles when you bought premium hubs. Of course, I didn't have a rim to replace at the time, but I'm about to wear through the rim now. Did you decide a direction finally?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
In the quote you highlighted the operative word is "swap". Shimano's design doesn't allow the changing of axle standards unless you know something I don't. I didn't say the hubs aren't up to whatever job you choose them for. But, swapping between 15/12/QR isn't possible with Shimano. Ask 10 people who use disc wheels if this is important to them and the the majority will tell you it is.
I saw 'swap wheels', sorry I misinterpreted...yup, no change axle ends on shimano. I agree, any disc hub these days worth their salt 'ought' to be convertible.

As an aside, WI hubs..I receieved a hubset for a wheelset build from WI and BOTH front and rear axle ends were installed 'crooked'...so couldn't true the wheel(think like a bent axle)..yes, WI stood behind their product, sent 2 axles and interestingly, I took the axles, put them inna vice, end on, and pressed the axle ends on straight. Great support but a little disappointing on a hubset so expensive..PLUS I still not a fan of 'wee set screws' type of bearing load adjust.

IMHO of course, 'pal'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg velocity-11-speed-disc-brake-hub.jpg (19.0 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-18-2017 at 07:17 AM.