Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 05:10 PM
Meh

I’ve always been interested in these setups and I think they would suit my riding. The big turnoff that’s kept me away is the wires. At a minimum it seems you need to modify a frame and fork to avoid external wires everywhere - ideally, you need to go the full custom route on both frame and fork.

One of my dream bikes is a straight headtube Ti frame with clearance for 35s with fenders and a two tone Potts type 2 fork with dynamo lighting. Unfortunately, there would be a wire wrapped around one fork leg and this ruins the dream.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:46 PM

I will never try to talk anyone out of a dynamo setup. If I was limited to one or two bikes, they would both have dynamo lights. I did have a Shimano dynamo on my touring bike, the 3N72 and could feel the vibration through the bars. I switched to a SON Delux and fixed that. The Shimano is on my city bike now and I can hear it but can’t feel it.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
At a minimum it seems you need to modify a frame and fork to avoid external wires everywhere - ideally, you need to go the full custom route on both frame and fork.
Maybe ideally, but there is no reason to modify anything to use a dyno. I use tape and zip ties on most of my bikes. My travel bike has a couple of holes to run the wire through the downtube, but that's pure vanity.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:38 PM

I've been running ziptied Dyno wires on my commuters for 5+ years, daily, in all new England weather. Literally no issues. But again, for my riding, I'll not be installing one on a bike I ride for fun - no real need.

Last edited by tellyho; 04-13-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I’ve always been interested in these setups and I think they would suit my riding. The big turnoff that’s kept me away is the wires. At a minimum it seems you need to modify a frame and fork to avoid external wires everywhere - ideally, you need to go the full custom route on both frame and fork.

One of my dream bikes is a straight headtube Ti frame with clearance for 35s with fenders and a two tone Potts type 2 fork with dynamo lighting. Unfortunately, there would be a wire wrapped around one fork leg and this ruins the dream.
Most forks have a small drain hole at the bottom that can be used to route wire through the fork legs. At the top, I believe, most forks are also open where they merge with the steerer tube.

When I wired my setup I ran fishing line through the small hole near hub and used a vacuum to suck the fish line out the top inside the steerer tube. The wire was a real pain to fit through the little hole when knotted to the fishing line, but it worked.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I think Joseph Lucas may have had a point:

(I doubt he really said it, but who knows...)

https://classicgarage.com/luprofdat.html

Old 04-12-2024, 10:53 PM

All my dyno bikes have spare front wheels that I kept for daylight-only rides. Those wheels get zero miles because, meh, just leave the lights on all the time.

On a smooth road I can sometimes feel a bit of vibration when the light is on. The math suggests a dyno will cost me measurable time on a 600k or 1200k brevet, but I'm neither on the fast end nor the slow end of the time limits so again, meh.

I just put a dyno on my fixie. It's for JRA, commuting, and some stupid fixie brevets. Dyno on a fixie on a brevet is super badass.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Dyno on a fixie on a brevet is super badass.
I can see your next project now...

Old 04-12-2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I can see your next project now...

Derailleur? Hard men don't need gears.

Brevets: doing stupid things with friends since 1891.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikg View Post
Most forks have a small drain hole at the bottom that can be used to route wire through the fork legs. At the top, I believe, most forks are also open where they merge with the steerer tube.

When I wired my setup I ran fishing line through the small hole near hub and used a vacuum to suck the fish line out the top inside the steerer tube. The wire was a real pain to fit through the little hole when knotted to the fishing line, but it worked.
If that doesn't work stick on Di2 wire covers that were used to hide 1st Gen External Di2 wires work pretty good as well.

They are available in white or black.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...2/SM-EWC2.html
Old 04-13-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
If that doesn't work stick on Di2 wire covers that were used to hide 1st Gen External Di2 wires work pretty good as well.

They are available in white or black.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...2/SM-EWC2.html

Great solution. It works well

Instagram
Old 04-13-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Great solution. It works well
Thanks!

I love Dyno set-ups - they are just so convenient. I have them on 2 bikes and planning number 3.

If you are going to go Custom - look at the SON SL set-up which makes it even easier. No wire to fuss with to connect to the wheel - However the RCA plug set-up is also pretty good and fuss free - just have to remember to "Pull the plug" before removing the wheel, and if you forget it comes apart pretty easily.

Last edited by morrisond; 04-13-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:37 PM
Daniel

I've had dynamo lighting for probably 15 years and it's so wonderful to not worry about lighting while I'm out. For me, and probably many others, it's anxiety-inducing when you ride gets into the dark and you're caught without lights. With that in mind, I'll pile on that dynamo taillights are equally a game changer. As much as I want to see where I'm going on (and not ride into a crush glass on the side of the road), I really want to make sure that drivers see me. A lot has been said about the "target fixation" caused by blinking taillight and a dead taillight's about as useful as no taillight so having the bright red solid beam emitting from my seattube makes me feel a helluva lot better when I'm riding after dark.

Last edited by 559Rando; 04-13-2024 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:10 PM

Well, that went better than expected...

Really pleased with the unapologetic support from those of you who've been riding with dynamos for a while... that's a solid vote, in my book.

So: Son hub with front and rear lights and don't think twice, it's alright.

Thanks for all the feedback, peeps.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Well, that went better than expected...

Really pleased with the unapologetic support from those of you who've been riding with dynamos for a while... that's a solid vote, in my book.

So: Son hub with front and rear lights and don't think twice, it's alright.

Thanks for all the feedback, peeps.
If you want to go in on some SON hubs from Bike24 to save on shipping/overall price I'd be interested in one too.