Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 AM

Just turned 66 and have been running for around 42 years. Estimate I've run maybe a tad below 65,000 miles in that time. Probably half of those miles have been in the dirt.

The running club I was with all through my 40s into my early 50s reguarly did our Sunday "long run" from Oak Grove park (now renamed Hahamonga) up to the top of Brown Mountain. Sometimes we'd go up Echo Mountain. Oh to be in my 40s again !!!

I live a mile from two different trail-heads in the Verdugo Mountains. Been doing both the Beaudry and Sunshine/ Los Flores trails for the last 22 years we've lived in Glendale.

Before that, we lived in the Valley and I regularly did Reseda/end of Van Alden/Glen Eagles to the Hub, Eagle Rock loop, Trippet Ranch, Parker Mesa overlook, Sullivan Canyon/Ridge, Westridge.. In addition to Cheeseboro, Ahmanson Ranch, Malibu Creek/Bulldog.

Only getting out to West Valley maybe twice a month on Sundays now because the traffic is so bad in LA, even on Saturdays.

Yeah there's nothing like getting off the street and into the dirt. Strengthens your joints, tendons and all connective tissue as well , as opposed to just running on the street. Great for your balance too.

No shortage of off road running around LA. But you better not be adverse to uphill...lol There's also Griffith Park/ Hollywood sign, Mt. Wilson from Eaton Cyn. That's the toughest run I've done...but have never gone up Mt. Baldy except by car. Also Rocky Peak out in Simi.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 AM

What the heck is this thread — did someone steal y’all’s BIKES?!

I used to be a run junky, but now I just try to get 3-5 miles per week, just in case I have to chase a fool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 PM

I was a cyclist long before I was runner, but I picked up running about 20 years ago. For 7 - 8 years running was 80 - 90% of my annual training time. I was putting in 50 - 60 miles per week with long runs most weekends on trails, the AT being the most common, 20 - 25 mile trail runs were common. Several trail marathons and ultras later my hip decided it needed a break about 4 years ago. I've been back on the bike about 95% of the time since then. Still occasionally have a 10 mile running week, but it's definitely not the norm.