Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 AM

I took my sister to this show for her 50th b-day...that opening was totally unexpected but he nailed it.

For most of my life Bruce has been the soundtrack I’ve always returned to.

Racing in the Streets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
"Jesus, send us some good women to save all your clowns"

on a contemporary note. Bruce's version of Purple Rain shows me his genius. Nothing really like Prince's version but all the passion. Amazing....

https://youtu.be/s5sim5B15gQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Whats interesting about Rolling Thunder (the movie) is how much like Bob it is...there's a lot of mythmaking under the hood (ie the cinematographer that wasn't, Sharon Stone etc) Bob's Jack Elliot comment is classic.
Infidels is great. Mark Knopfler. And then Daniel Lanois.
Bob should call Danny. Time out of Mind is never far from my mind. Every other song though!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Whats interesting about Rolling Thunder (the movie) is how much like Bob it is...there's a lot of mythmaking under the hood (ie the cinematographer that wasn't, Sharon Stone etc) Bob's Jack Elliot comment is classic.
Infidels is great. Mark Knopfler. And then Daniel Lanois.
Dylan is so mean to the ACTUAL director of the movie even when that euro snob sounds like a pretentious moron ; "he ate too much"... Really? That´s a SOB of a comment.
Bob Dylan is genius... if not a genius he is better than genius: smart, fast. He knows what time it is; He listens to you but also to what´s behind you and then makes you look like a fool in his songs.. His lyrics bring back the ghosts of biblical, criminal, gypsy, cowboy stories you had forgotten about.
Otoh what i got from that movie is that Dylan is a survivor, a street cat who is slick and defensive maybe a bit manipulative.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
Bob should call Danny. Time out of Mind is never far from my mind. Every other song though!
Best album. Lanois knows everything.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 AM

Bruce is the bar band that happens to do well in arenas. I saw him in Charlotte in 2010, played the entirety of Born to Run in track order from the album start, then delved into the show proper. Must have last near 4 hours. Total party the whole night and he didn't stop.

He's 1000% the live experience. The recorded stuff is wildly uneven, like anyone who just churns out a metric ton of music. And as enjoyable as even the good stuff can be, it never rocks particularly hard.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Dylan is so mean to the ACTUAL director of the movie even when that euro snob sounds like a pretentious moron ; "he ate too much"... Really? That´s a SOB of a comment.
Bob Dylan is genius... if not a genius he is better than genius: smart, fast. He knows what time it is; He listens to you but also to what´s behind you and then makes you look like a fool in his songs.. His lyrics bring back the ghosts of biblical, criminal, gypsy, cowboy stories you had forgotten about.
Otoh what i got from that movie is that Dylan is a survivor, a street cat who is slick and defensive maybe a bit manipulative.
There's a great book-"Bob Dylan in America"-that more or less makes this case. Bob has absorbed and retold more American blues and folk myth than seems possible.