Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
If the doping is an issue, despite Horner not having tested positive, then where is the outcry for CVV who did dope and did get a suspension for doping. He's been commentating for years now.

None of these guys are saints. It's going to be a long and silent broadcast if you want someone holding the mic who's got a mellifluous voice, and knows his stuff, and has never crossed the line.

I'm a fan of this news of Chris being hired.
I was waiting for someone to call out the CVV doping reference as there seems to be no opposition to his spot on the broadcast team. In terms of the pro teams, there aren’t too many clean DS’s either, so I just go with the flow and enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:17 PM

I bet the audience for pro cycling in the U.S. is huge. There might even be a few thousand people watching the big races.

The fact that it's on at all is a minor miracle. I'd take Horner commentating all day long. He's always been outspoken and fun to watch.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:20 PM
ZhugeLiang

Ever since the mob crowd attacked my cycling commenting Patron Saint Phil Liggett, I have lost all respect and consideration for who they think should be in the commentator box. Some things are sacred.

Last edited by weisan; 07-07-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Cue the angry mob, but LA has demonstrated his ability to commentate, at least via podcast. Can't wait to hear the back-biting that happens on this one....
Old 06-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Anyone else like the Cycling Tips duo of Dave Everett and Caley Fretz? I think they’re a fabulous pair and are ready for prime time. They bring some much needed humor and irony to the race scene.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM

CVV; caught doping, yet they never said a peep about him.
CH: never caught, yet treated worse than CVV.

Crap, even Lance hated CVV.

Watch it with the volume off.

Quote:
where is the outcry for CVV who did dope and did get a suspension for doping. He's been commentating for years now.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I was waiting for someone to call out the CVV doping reference as there seems to be no opposition to his spot on the broadcast team. In terms of the pro teams, there aren’t too many clean DS’s either, so I just go with the flow and enjoy the scenery.
Hey, it’s the innerwebs, everyone gets their shorts in a knot about something. Like researching a new part for a bike, Horner is going to get analyzed to death.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
CVV; caught doping, yet they never said a peep about him.
CH: never caught, yet treated worse than CVV.

Watch it with the volume off.
Even if CVV was clean as a whistle, he and that Schalnger guy provide me my mute button workout
Old 06-22-2019, 03:45 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
CVV did at least get roped into taking down Lance Armstrong, and he did receive a sanction for his own actions. I can live with CVV.
By contrast, Horner was never in the Motorola/Postal/Discovery cabal, always an outlier, never busted for doping, is a GT winner, and did all of it his way. He hasn’t even started the job. So what’s not to like or live with?
Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
By contrast, Horner was never in the Motorola/Postal/Discovery cabal, always an outlier, never busted for doping, is a GT winner, and did all of it his way. He hasn’t even started the job. So what’s not to like or live with?
It's true he wasn't ever officially busted. However, after the 2013 Vuelta where some people expressed surprise at his performance. In response, Horner released a bunch of his biological passport data. In response, Robin Parisotto, who was on the biological passport committee at one point, said that the overall pattern was suspicious.

It's true that the UCI didn't flag Horner's passport for further review by people like Parisotto. However, they didn't flag Armstrong's 2009 passport either. Parisotto and one other expert criticized the UCI for that, saying that if they had been asked to review enough of his passport data, they would have found the sequence to be ... not normal.

Then, of course, he was dropped from the 2014 Vuelta team on account of low cortisol levels. These can indicate use of corticosteroids. Wiggins and others on Team Sky may have used them to drop weight, which is also against the rules.

I am frankly a bit surprised that you did not know this.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
CVV did at least get roped into taking down Lance Armstrong, and he did receive a sanction for his own actions. I can live with CVV.
Quote:
It's true he wasn't ever officially busted. However, after the 2013 Vuelta where some people expressed surprise at his performance. In response, Horner released a bunch of his biological passport data. In response, Robin Parisotto, who was on the biological passport committee at one point, said that the overall pattern was suspicious.

It's true that the UCI didn't flag Horner's passport for further review by people like Parisotto. However, they didn't flag Armstrong's 2009 passport either. Parisotto and one other expert criticized the UCI for that, saying that if they had been asked to review enough of his passport data, they would have found the sequence to be ... not normal.

Then, of course, he was dropped from the 2014 Vuelta team on account of low cortisol levels. These can indicate use of corticosteroids. Wiggins and others on Team Sky may have used them to drop weight, which is also against the rules.

I did know this. But the yardstick most people use (me) is a positive, or maybe an admission. Without these, it’s just noise. He can’t be convicted or sanctioned for noise.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:32 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I think it's a terrible choice but I'm not upset over it....I'm not going to see him in action so it has little bearing on my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
He’s the most famous American bike racer that hasn’t been caught doping and won’t say something that will potentially embarrass the network.
I would guess that Andy Hampsten holds that distinction.....though I imagine that he has no interest in being a commentator.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I did know this. But the yardstick most people use (me) is a positive, or maybe an admission. Without these, it’s just noise. He can’t be convicted or sanctioned for noise.
I'm not looking for him to be convicted in a criminal or sports law sense. Not getting a media opportunity is not like being banned from sports and having results stripped. The standard of proof for the latter is fairly high, and it should be so. The standard of proof for the former doesn't have to be as high. Some parties I consider credible have raised enough suspicion that I don't care to see Horner.

I also consider the standard that you're applying to be way too low. The UCI has been trying pretty hard to look the other way for way too long. Hence, relying on positive tests that they adjudicate is going to be insufficient. I mean, you are correct, you and a lot of other people are too lenient on these guys. This is exactly how people get away with bad stuff for way too long - people are too willing to look the other way, and they guys who aren't willing to look away look like a**holes.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
I'm not looking for him to be convicted in a criminal or sports law sense. Not getting a media opportunity is not like being banned from sports and having results stripped. The standard of proof for the latter is fairly high, and it should be so. The standard of proof for the former doesn't have to be as high. Some parties I consider credible have raised enough suspicion that I don't care to see Horner.

I also consider the standard that you're applying to be way too low. The UCI has been trying pretty hard to look the other way for way too long. Hence, relying on positive tests that they adjudicate is going to be insufficient. I mean, you are correct, you and a lot of other people are too lenient on these guys. This is exactly how people get away with bad stuff for way too long - people are too willing to look the other way, and they guys who aren't willing to look away look like a**holes.

Okay. By extension, there are dopers managing teams, there are dopers who own teams, there are dopers who are team sponsors, and there are already dopers in the broadcast booth.

What I don’t get (here) is the energy tossed at Horner - for what? People don’t like his voice? His personality? They don’t like the rumors associated with him?

When the sport burns to the ground, if it gets resurrected by good people with spines, and a moral compass, maybe we’ll find the one guy who can sit next to Phil.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:

He was also the oldest Grand Tour winner ever. Riders that old just don't win Grand Tours.