Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2021, 10:07 AM

Campy 12 on Chris King R45

Hi all
Quick question if anyone has successfully run a campy 12 speed cassette on a CK R45 wheel?
I know they say the tabs on the back will interfere with the spokes, but is this the case for all wheel builds?
Love my CK hubs and would like to run 12 speed, but don’t want or buy all new wheels.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 PM

The Chris King drive side flange is spaced further outboard than a Campagnolo hub, thus the spoke interference with the cassette tabs. Compatibility with other hub brands will be dependent upon the flange spacing employed.

Would not seem to be a difficult task to grind down the tabs a bit. The interference on my Chris King hubs was not substantial - removing a couple of millimeters would do it.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the response. So you’ve tried the 12 speed cassette on an R45 hub?
I was thinking that removing a bit of the tabs would fix the problem, but I’ve also heard that the interference is dependent on the specifics of the wheel build and might not always cause a problem.
I suppose I could try to find a 12 speed cassette somewhere and test fit before making the investment in the gruppo.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:22 PM

Yes, installed on my R45 hub and there is interference with the outboard spokes.

Yes, dependent upon the wheel build. No issue if the hub used has the same drive side flange spacing as the Campagnolo hub.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:43 PM

Thanks. I’m specifically asking about the CK R45 hubs. Sounds like it can be made to work.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:23 PM

You can thank Chris King for dropping Campy completely. No, there is no way to run 12 speed Campy cassette on an R45 hub. I asked them. They stopped making the conversion for the reason as above. You would need to source the axle from Ebay or here somewhere just to start.

It kinda ridiculous that Chris King is all small batch bikes and custom etc yet they don't support Campy. I gave up on CK a few months ago and I own 3 R45 wheelsets, 2 headsets, and 4 ceramic BB's.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 PM

To clarify, I have several R45 hubs with Campy freehub bodies currently running 11 speed. It’s really whether the 12 can be run on the hubs without the rear tabs hitting the spokes.
CK says “generally no” but there are some exceptions. Practical experience from people that have tried Is helpful.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:16 PM

I’ve been a die hard campy guy since the late 80s. Sadly, they’ve lost market share and don’t appeal to a lot of current riders. I get CKs decision to stop supporting new Campy products. It just doesn’t make business sense for them. I’d just want to continue using my Campy R45 wheels w 12 speed, but can surely stick w the 11.

Heck, I even put a non-Campy 12 speed electronic group set on my new bike. I’m calling it a midlife crisis LOL. Next on the chopping block is my long term relationship with Look pedals.. Somehow they can’t seem to be engineered w decent bearings and axles.