Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 01:02 PM

On my MTB, I broke multiple chains. Mostly back in the early days before the chain makers figured out how to make chains to take the stresses of MTB drivetrains. Chain tension is inversely proportional to chainring size, so 20t inner chainrings can put a lot of load on the chain. For MTBs, a tool was (and probably still is) considered an essential tool to carry.

On my road bike, I think I've only broken a chain twice. For my road bike, I carry a spare quick link, but not always a chain tool. Once a chain breaks, you can often pry the broken link off without a chain tool, and then rejoin the chain with the quick link.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:28 PM
The B!

i did once... and i crashed

i was headed home, on a contentious segment where the road dips and then rises back up - if you hammer, you can maintain without losing any speed (in fact pick up some speed from the dip)... as i was up off the saddle absolutely mashing the pedals, almost to the top, pedal resistance suddenly gave out and i hit the saddle and the bars slapped around in my hands and i knew i was going down at like 30mph .. fortunately, only at that EXACT spot on the road, theres a strip of grass and i just tried to pull onto it before i missed it completely and hit the gravelly asphalt after it.. slid across the grass in a mess of rider and bike and was basically fine

had no idea w tf had happened till i tried to put the chain back on and of course immediately realized why id crashed - it was bust'd

id taken that chain off a different bike and put it on the one i was riding like a day before, and indeed - it'd broken at my new pin.. still dont know why, but im all about that masterlink nowadays
Old 10-23-2021, 01:42 PM

"On my MTB, I broke multiple chains. Mostly back in the early days before the chain makers figured out how to make chains to take the stresses of MTB drivetrains. Chain tension is inversely proportional to chainring size, so 20t inner chainrings can put a lot of load on the chain. For MTBs, a tool was (and probably still is) considered an essential tool to carry."

+1. I broke a Shimano 9 speed chain three times in 3 different places riding Murphy's Hogback on the White Rim trail many years ago. It was on a supported ride and we had a good tool kit in the truck with a spare chain pin available to fix the first break. The other two were fixed by scavenging sections of chain from an old chain whip. The links were unmarked and the chain made ticking noises after the repairs so the links were probably from an old 6 speed chain. I carry a compact Park chain tool in my CamelBak and have used it a number of times to help other riders in the backcountry.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:56 PM

Have broken chains multiple times. Mtb at least twice - I've gotten good at shortening chain to single speed home. Which is still pretty funky with rear suspension.

Didn't have a multi tool with a chain tool on my commuter set when I needed it. Note - don't buy sunrace chains. Luckily, bike shop on the way home.

I now only have multitools with chain breakers. Topeak ftw. Also carry quick links in the saddle bag. Rarely for all speeds in my stable though (9, 10, 11).
Old 10-23-2021, 02:41 PM
Too Few Miles

Twice.

Both early versions of Campy 10 speed.

One time had to call my wife to pick me up as it was a goner.

The other was about a mile and half from home so I 'Fred Flinstoned' it to the house.

Just not much fun...
Old 10-23-2021, 02:41 PM

I carry a quicklink or 2 since they take no room in my wallet, but not a chain breaker. Never broken one on a road bike. If it ever does, I don't ride remote enough that it's too far to get an Uber to bring me to nearest LBS.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:53 PM
Two wheels good

Only once on a road bike that I remember. It was on a standing climb and I was on the downstroke and it threw me on the pavement. I'm just glad it wasn't on a sprint.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:12 PM

Just once in an mtb race. Not even a mile in. That was an expensive entry fee for less than a mile!!
Old 10-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Most dramatic crash I ever had. I was test riding a bike to see if the cassette would skip. Kept pushing the speed up and the chain let go while I was standing up sprinting. My feet came off the pedals and I went over the bars. Ruined a pair of jeans and work shirt. Walked back to the shop sore and limping. The bike was fine because it landed on me. It might be one of the reasons I have three bad discs in my back.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 PM

The one I remember best was touring in the French Alps circa early 80's. I was fully loaded and the last col of the day, Col de l'Iseran just south of Galibier, I was tired and shifted down from 40 x 32 to the granny gear. It was near the top. Somehow, I coasted and walked to Val d'Isere and got a new chain. Someone bought me a drink. That is all I can remember
Old 10-23-2021, 03:44 PM

One time, and I believe that was caused by an error on my part. I tried to reuse a 9 speed chain pin by pushing it out just far enough to unlink it, then pushed it back in. I knew there was a chance it would not hold, but I did not have a pin or quick link on hand. I took the bike for a ride and was only 1.5 miles from home when it failed. I had about 12 miles when it happened, but I stayed within a few miles of home due to the concern for that happening. I will not do that again.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
One time, and I believe that was caused by an error on my part. I tried to reuse a 9 speed chain pin by pushing it out just far enough to unlink it, then pushed it back in. I knew there was a chance it would not hold, but I did not have a pin or quick link on hand. I took the bike for a ride and was only 1.5 miles from home when it failed. I had about 12 miles when it happened, but I stayed within a few miles of home due to the concern for that happening. I will not do that again.
That's the one chain break I've had. Shimano chain with the replacement pin that I didn't have handy so pushed a pin back in.

Broke in the woods. Walked it to a shell road and Flintstoned my way back to the car.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:49 PM

Once in Italy just after the start of a ride with my wife. Campy 10 speed. On a short steep climb at the bottom of the hill we lived on to get to the main road. Fortunately did not crash. My wife was convinced ride was over, but I removed a link, rejoined chain and off we rode. I avoided big-big and had dirty hands but we got our ride in.

I think I had it happen on my mountain bike once or twice many years ago but can’t really recall details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2021, 12:09 AM

the chain has broken on me 3 times and I've used a chain tool another 3 times on the road. I live in San Francisco and even a flat ride has 1,000 feet of elevation in it. I change my chain regularly but it happens. Once a buddy drops a chain and it gets jammed between the frame and chainrings, we had to break the chain to get it running again. Once my rear derailleur blew up and I had to break the chain and reconfigure it as a single speed to get home. Even a well maintained bike can have chain issues.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:21 AM

Yep. A couple of road chains. First was poor installation. Second was… I dunno.

But my best one is riding a brakeless track bike. Down hill. All of a sudden out of nowhere I snapped an Izumi Super Toughness at its master link. Never used that chain again and never rode brakeless again. Saw my life flash before my eyes.