Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM

Anybody break a chain while riding?

In all my years of cycling never happened to me and I ride a lot of big hills. My multi tool has a chain breaker that I've only used with routine maintenance. So...any good stories out there?
Old 10-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Randomhead

I have done it twice. First time I think I let the chain go too long and used my multi-tool breaker to fix it. Second time, the quick link broke. It was a fairly new bike so I didn't have anything to fix it with. That was a very long walk over a mountain.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:09 PM

Reason I asked was that I'm in the market for a new multi tool and wondering if I need to have a chain breaker with me while riding. Just how prevalent are broken chains? I usually change a chain out along with the cassette every four to five years. Ride Sram Red, Dura-Ace, and Ultegra. Rode Campy in the past.

Last edited by el cheapo; 10-23-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:23 PM

Definitely need a chain breaker! I have broken a few on my MTB (in driving rain and 6” of mud) - sucked to fix that mechanical
Old 10-23-2021, 12:26 PM

Yes, several times, but it's been years. I used to ride with a small chain tool, but now I just keep a quick link in the tool bag because statistically that seems like the best bet.

One time was pretty far from home on the entirely other side of the city in the days before Uber and cell phones and had to call a roommate for a ride from some guy's home phone. I still ended up walking/coasting for miles before a pick up. I actually found a pair of dress shoes with no laces in a vacant lot and put them on for about an hour.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:29 PM

Used to ride organized and group rides and can't remember anyone breaking a chain. Saw some fall off but not broken. Way back in the 60's didn't even break my Schwinn Stingray chain and I tried real hard. When I was stationed in Germany would ride the Rhon Mountains on a Raleigh with Suntour components and never broke a chain. Could it be luck?

Last edited by el cheapo; 10-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:31 PM

Broke mine going up Mt. St. Helens. Chain tool saved the day.

Ryan
Old 10-23-2021, 12:36 PM

Had a bud break one just a few weeks ago. Group ride of about 8, JRA and it snapped. Turns out he waxes his chains and had re-used the quicklink too many times. One of the guys had this awesome little master link tool with a spare master link included, so he was back on the road pretty quickly.

Tool might've been this one: https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycl...iers-and-more/ I need to pick one up and add it to my saddle bag. It worked great.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:40 PM

Only once. But I was sure glad I had a chain tool. Just a small one will do, and some multitools come with one. Not sure how functional they are, but haven't heard any complaints.

I carry this little Topeak.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...sal-chain-tool
Old 10-23-2021, 12:42 PM

I wax my chains so I'm pushing my luck with masterlinks. I always carry one. No chain breaker, but a masterlink. On my mtb I carry the Wolftooth chain pliers that work as tire levers, valve core remover, and have storage for two masterlinks.

I broke one years ago, on a lower end 2x6 speed setup, and just held on to my friend's bag who was kind enough to tow me a few miles home while I just coasted with my feet up.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:47 PM

Going off on a tangent, I bought the Lezyne Multi Chain pliers in hopes of having one compact tool that accounts for all your chain needs: chain breaker + chain pliers + quicklink holder.

However, the quality of the Lezyne tool was pretty bad. Two of the magnets that were supposed to hold the quicklinks fell out (poorly glued). The quicklinks were exposed instead of "inside" the tool like how Wolf Tooth does it. And breaking the two handles apart and using one to turn the pin sounded better on paper than doing so in real life.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:48 PM

Just once.
Early ten speed stuff, before I started using quick links.
Final town line sprint of a long-ish ride, chain separated right at the line.
Was able to coast to parking & walked back to pick up the chain.
Started using quick links after that instead of drive pins.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:52 PM

Never broke a chain, but I sure snapped a lot of elastics!
(With apologies to Phil Liggett)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:57 PM

Not in years.

I used to break Sedisport chains now and then
Old 10-23-2021, 01:00 PM

If you only ride road, are good about not shifting under load, and replace your chain when it needs it, you can probably get by without a chain breaker. If you ride trail, it's probably only a matter of time before you break a chain. Much more likely in mountain biking than road biking.

That said, if you shop around, you'll be able to find a multi-tool with a chain breaker that doesn't really add that much weight or bulk. I carry one and have frankly used it more often to rescue a trail riding buddy than on my own bikes.