Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 AM

Bike nightmares

Any dream analysis people here?

Last night I woke up at like 3 am, but just prior to that I was riding my new bike along the California coast. I came into a little town close to where we were staying and something felt off. The bartape became loose and the brake hoods were lose as well and the brakes wouldn’t work. Things got sluggish so I tried to limp home. I turned on what I thought was our Airbnb road but instead it was a floating dock with many of those crappy seaside shops but near the end was a bike shop.

I pull in and right when I do I notice both tires are flat. I go in and the staff were super rude and treated me like dog$hit but sold me two tubes for something like $40. That was all the cash I had and fumbling for my wallet and glasses I had like three backpacks filled with comforters and all manner of things.

Finally I go to a corner of the shop to change tubes and see what flatted me and then noticed my new boras were trashed at the rim. Dented, dinged, with carbon splinters everywhere. I’m taking pictures and sending to my local mechanic and gathered all of my items, shouldered the bike and started to click walk my way down the boardwalk in defeat when I woke up.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:44 AM

Just another day at The Paceline.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:56 AM

Ever found yourself on the boardwalk only wearing a pair of Defeets
Old 10-23-2021, 11:25 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Thanks for my coffee first chuckle of the day..
Old 10-23-2021, 11:48 AM

Classic...

First point the dream tries to convey to you is your losing your grip on the true meaning of cycling..your out of control spending & you cannot stop spending....Hence the bar tape unraveling & brakes losing function

Second has to do with how the cycling retailers recently decided to bend their long time customers over & take advantage of them price wise...Hence the rude staff & $40tubes.

It also showed you were basically now homeless due to this addiction.... Hence the back packs you carried with comforters & other remaining items you owned

Lastly you were finally shown the futility of silly overpriced carbon rims for everyday riding
Old 10-23-2021, 11:48 AM

I have dreamed of riding a bike, but nothing bizarre like that. Do not know what to say about meaning, if any. I am getting close to 9,000 miles since my last flat. Now, If I have a bike dream about flat tires and trashed wheels, I am blaming you.

I was a bartender for over 20 years. My recurring work nightmare: it is last call time at 2:00 am, the people just keep coming in and the clock does not move. I get angrier and angrier. I was pretty burnt out on the bar business and figured the dream was telling me it was time get out of that craziness and do something else. I have now not been behind a bar in just about the same amount of years I did that job. I have not had that dream since. I hope that is not the case for you and biking.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:53 AM

I've had dreams where I'm crashing, but its typically because I've fallen asleep sitting up and now my body is falling over, IRL!
Old 10-23-2021, 12:03 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My recurring cycling dream is simply me flying up a long climb with impunity. ;O
Old 10-23-2021, 12:05 PM

According to my analysis, your wife got a haircut (or new glasses, or lost 10 pounds, or...), you didn't notice, and now she's planting scary dreams in your head as revenge/torture.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:50 PM

That is your subconscious self screaming at you to move to California so you don’t have to rely on a bike shop for simple repairs when you’re riding there.

I say that because I’m visiting SoCal now and having California dreams myself. Today’s ride:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E789430A-1019-46F9-BC06-5C211F4EBD6D.jpg (107.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 07:54 PM
ZhugeLiang

Tick pal, the good news is...the only way from here is UP!
Old 10-23-2021, 07:56 PM

I feel inadequate. I’ve been obsessed with endurance riding and bikes for years and I right now can’t honestly say I recall dreaming about riding my bike be it a nightmare or for the win.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:30 PM

I used to think of riding my bike if I couldn’t sleep and it always helped to put me to sleep. I don’t remember dreams that often, but this one was pretty vivid.

Homeless with the backpacks is spot on, btw. I’m living in a temporary dwelling that is les than half the size of my former home and I have stuff strewn about everywhere. Four now five bikes here, four at my moms house, and two or three others I don’t ride much in storage.

One nice thing is I’ve only been able to find two complete kits so as long as I don’t ride more than two rides a week I’m good

And just to offset the next time I forget to notice a hair change, I complimented my wife on how skinny she’s been looking. Told her our son noticed too and her only response was “oh, that’s so nice of him!”.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:18 PM

Funny

I have ski dreams, lots of car sliding out episodes, forgot boots, no poles, showing up at 11 on a powder day, but bike, not really
Old 10-23-2021, 10:29 PM

Dream from 1981 or so?

I'm on a nondescript road JRA, eyes forward, when an automobile approaches, and I begin to get that hair-raising feeling that the driver is drifting too close to me as our distance closes. As I start to pedal faster, the car speeds up, and I look behind to see it's being driven and manned by the two MAD magazine Spy vs Spy characters---trench coats, fedoras, triangular beak/heads, big black eyes, the whole nine yards. They're driving a giant cartoon Spy vs Spy '40s Packard-or-something car, lotsa chrome, did it have fins?

I scream and stand on the pedals, sprinting faster to try to put more distance between us.

But driver Spy speeds up and moves closer, while passenger Spy leans out the window, sinister grin on his face, and pulls out one of his old-timey bombs, the ones that look like a bowling ball with a fuse sticking out the end. The fuse is burning, his grin grows wider as he sharpens his gaze, and as I'm completely spinning out he tosses the bomb at my feet and the car roars past. I scream, the bomb explodes, then I wake up.

I wake up bolt upright, alert as f with no trace of sleepiness, and there's a ringing in my ears and off my bedroom walls. There's also the telltale presence, odor and aura of talc in the air. I realize that IRL one of my high-pressure tires has just blown off the rim at like 3am. And then I come to the inescapable conclusion that my dream about the Spy vs Spy/PB bombing happened, in its entirety, from the time the tire burst and announced its presence until the time I woke up to the lingering sound and dispersing talc generated by the explosion.

Brains and dreams are weird.

I did house my bikes in the my bedroom, and there were 4 or them hanging up at the time, and only one of the tires had to explode to trigger my MAD magazine demons.

These are them intact, shot with an Ikeda 4x5 field camera and a cheapo convertible large format lens, from a 4x5 Polaroid proof print.