Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 03:42 PM

Computrainer upgrade to Neo 2T or Kickr

No doubt there are any number of long time Computrainer owners out there who have taken the plunge to go to a direct drive trainer. I'm considering abandoning my 20 year old unit myself. I started a thread a few days ago asking about the feasibility of 7 speed on a new direct drive, sounds easy enough, no problem there. Looking primarily at the Neo 2T.

But I did want to ask for some input from those who've done it if the upgrade was all they hoped it would be, if they'd do it again. In the context of a $1,300 +/- investment... I don't really have any complaints about my Computrainer, still works great. Not having to deal with the whole rear tire, adjust the clamping force and calibrate part would be nice for sure, a big plus. But I'm even more interested in how the ride characterisitics compare before I make a final decision.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by A1A; 10-22-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:51 PM

Kick'r

I am a happy Kick'r owner/user, but I would base switching on whether you want to use online services like Zwift.
If you only care about power- The computrainer still works great. Especially with a seven speed wheel.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I am a happy Kick'r owner/user, but I would base switching on whether you want to use online services like Zwift.
If you only care about power- The computrainer still works great. Especially with a seven speed wheel.
Thanks, definitely would be used primarily for Zwifting, I should have mentioned that. I haven't used the Racermate 1 software since I signed up for Zwift 3 years ago. Except for calibration that is.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:11 PM

I want to upgrade.

But my 20 year old CT still works great, and works perfectly with Zwift. I’ll keep using it until it stops working.

Last edited by djg21; 10-22-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 PM

What's money to ya? I think you will definitely notice a quality improvement going to a direct drive trainer. I just made the switch, and I've only done a few rides and races on it, but it's already night and day. Responding to surges, adjusting to the terrain, and even backing off to stay with the group with the minimal amount of power. It's all nicer compared to my wheel-on trainer.

So is it worth it? What's $700 to you? If you won't notice the money being gone, you'll definitely appreciate the new trainer. If you're using your trainer a lot, you'll definitely appreciate the difference. If you only use it intermittently and $700 will meaningfully impact your budget for other items, save your money.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:59 PM

Yeah there is a world of difference on Zwfit from a Computrainer to a Direct drive trainer, is that difference worth $800-$1300? I think it likely is (depending on how many days a year you are on the trainer).
If you ride the trainer allot (which I do) then yes.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:45 PM

A Neo 2T ain't goona last 20 years like the computrainer has..
Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

When my CTs quit, then I will have no choice. Down to one good controller and 2 good load generators. I used to install and service them in the 90s for a LBS or two.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:37 AM

Not having to deal with trainer tires, tire pressure/resistance calibration etc was the reason I switched. Been happy with the change. CT was a great device and still is, but its steampunk tech.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:33 AM

The CT we had (sold it earlier this year) was purchased in '93/'94. So, I have 26 years of data.

Last fall my wife really wanted to Zwift. I was very reluctant as I dislike indoor "cycling". But we purchased the Tacx Neo2 and my wife jumped right on and pedaled away. I joined using her account at first (she has some nice pr's) and I liked it enough to get my own Zwift account.

I posted this in another thread but will repeat here. The power readings from the Neo are roughly 10-12% lower than what I was getting from my CT. I was careful to calibrate the CT before each session.

This made sense as my real road riding did not support the numbers I was getting from my CT. So I fell that the Tacx Neo is pretty accurate.

So I Zwifted a bit last winter....the longest session was over 2 hours........never spent that much on an indoor trainer before.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll make the move, maybe just wait a week or two to see if a sale pops up. I'm 66, not sure I can afford the luxury of waiting for the Computrainer to die with how long they last. If I do buy a Neo I'll probably just stick the Computrainer in a corner in the basement to keep as a backup considering how little they bring if you sell them. I think I paid $1,200 for it new in 2000 or 2001, seemed crazy expensive at the time but I more than got my use out of it and loved every minute of it. Considering I'm on it 4 or 5 times a week November thru March and here and there during the summer when it rains wouldn't shock me if it has 20k miles on it or more. Talk about bang for the buck... It's too bad what happened to Racermate, they had it made but by all accounts, just didn't make good business decisions towards the end as far as keeping up with the Joneses. Homegrown company, made in the USA, bummer.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:00 AM

I have a CT I purchased in 1996 and used until 2012. Never upgraded it, just used it for intervals and wattage training while watching cycling videos. It was a great tool, the only thing I didn't like was using a tire and the hassle of calibration.

I have a KICKR now. I purchased it in late 2018 and the original unit had some quality issues and eventually had to be replaced. Earlier this year I had to replace the bearings which were not that big of a deal, about 30 minutes and $15 for the bearings. I like the KICKR on Zwift, it takes some boredom out of the ride. I even picked up a ten year old Ti bike for the trainer so I can sweat all over it and not worry about corrosion.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:00 AM

I used to do classes on a Computrainer and I’ve used both Kickrs and the Neo.

I use a Neo day to day. Both the latest Kickr and the Neo are really good. I chose the Neo because, at that time, the Kickr required periodic calibration, which I found annoying. This is less of a problem with the latest Kickr. At the time, the Neo was also much quieter, but the Kickr has also improved in this area.

Coming from a Computrainer, I think you’ll find:
  • Setup is less fiddly, particularly with the Neo
  • Responsiveness is better, particularly when using VR-like apps like Zwift or Rouvy.
  • The Neo has some things like downhill simulation and road feel that are gimmicky but you might find fun.
  • The Neo doesn’t have a traditional flywheel, so definitely has a different feel than the Computrainer or Kickr. You may or may not find this weird.
  • I had pretty good support experiences with the Neo prior to their acquisition; I haven’t needed to contact them since.
  • There isn’t much mechanical stuff in the Neo to break. Mine has been reliable. I do pull the freehub and clean/lube it once a year.

I’m not sure how you make the cost/benefit decision, but the Neo is a solid trainer.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:11 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

How do we have this conversation without ERG mode being in the verbiage?

Maybe just because I have got so used to only using ERG mode and a SS on my CT... More a frameset with a crank and freewheel SS, sans most parts that would make my trainer bike road worthy.

I can totally see for lots of folks with no room for more than one bike, no less a trainer spot the quick mount of a rear wheel pull and pop on the trainer be VG thing. But is it that plug and play I wonder.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:19 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
stick the Computrainer in a corner....considering how little they bring if you sell them.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
I think I paid $1,200 for it new in 2000 or 2001, seemed crazy expensive at the time but I more than got my use out of it and loved every minute of it.
Also true, some expensive things amortize out to be quite inexpensive compared to alternatives.

I traded mine for a bike for my Step Bro as I departed TN in an effort to bring less stuff to PNW. But when I landed in PDX bought a pair for 1000.00. Full nice setups on double ply and cycops full mats yada.

One super fun winter activity, inviting a friend for a dual ErgVid uphill workout in my shop they never expected. ERG Vid, water, music and fans, lots of fans.. #CT_Luv.

Anyone remember CT modem riding with someone, that wasn't too fiddly. LOL.