Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 06:35 AM

Any personal reviews for Bora WTO?

Reading all the mad search for the Bora WTO on this forum, I am left wondering. Can any user relay their personal review of the Bora WTO? What I am most interested in knowing is the following:
1. For their depth, let's say, the WTO 45, does it ride "better" that other 45 mm wheels. Please feel free to define "better" any way you wish.
2. I have read that the Bora WTO "feel" like a much lighter wheelset. In my opinion, the WTO, at any depth, are quite a bit heavier than the offerings from Zipp (e.g. 353 NSW) or the Spesh Alpinist etc. Yet, I have read that despite their heft, they "feel" much lighter. Can anyone confirm? I just do not trust professional reviewers on websites anymore.
3. Any comparison with other wheels you have had in the past would be wonderful.
4. Basically, I am tossing the idea of getting a Bora WTO (maybe the 45). Or maybe getting one from BTLOS or EIECarbon (45 mm depth) and having them built with DT Swiss 180 or Carbon-Ti hubs and having them built to about 1250 g. Which option would you choose if you only had these two choices?
5. If you had $2000 to splurge on carbon wheels (and you have to spend it on carbon wheels, or else the boogeyman takes the money back), what would you buy?

It does not matter if you are relaying your experiences with the WTO disc or rim version. Just review away! Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-22-2021, 07:07 AM

Following as I'm sort of in the same boat. Want something light in the 40-50 mm range to put on the CAAD8 I'm sorting out.

Looking forward to seeing the response.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:32 AM

Any personal reviews for Bora WTO?

I’ve owned Bora 35s and 50s, various older version of Reynolds 46s and currently own Enve 4.5 SES Gen2 and Bora 33s in the rim brake variety.

I really like my Bora 33s and would buy them again over the other options I’ve tried. They compliment my Kirk really well in terms of smooth comfortable ride and they seem to spin up nicely, quite stable in wind (I’m generally around 175lbs -/+ 5), and are maybe just a little less laterally stiff than the 35s or 50s. I doubt there is much aero benefit and if I had it to do over would probably go with the 45s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I’ve owned Bora 35s and 50s, various older version of Reynolds 46s and currently own Enve 4.5 SES Gen2 and Bora 33s in the rim brake variety.

I really like my Bora 33s and would buy them again over the other options I’ve tried. They compliment my Kirk really well in terms of smooth comfortable ride and they seem to spin up nicely, quite stable in wind (I’m generally around 175lbs -/+ 5), and are maybe just a little less laterally stiff than the 35s or 50s. I doubt there is much aero benefit and if I had it to do over would probably go with the 45s.

but those are different wheels than the OP is asking about.

i would like to hear from those using the WTOs with rim brakes, which brakes are they using and are they satisfied with the braking actuation as the width of the WTOs is, IMO pushing the limits of what road calipers are good at.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:43 AM

Angry -- methinks madscience does have the WTO -- the 33's that he is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i would like to hear from those using the WTOs with rim brakes, which brakes are they using and are they satisfied with the braking actuation as the width of the WTOs is, IMO pushing the limits of what road calipers are good at.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:43 AM

I have WTO 45 on my road bike. Outside of Lightweight which are arguably about the same I think they are a better feeling wheel than Zipps.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I have the rim brake WTO. The brake track is excellent.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:52 AM

I've got both... WTO and BTLOS

I've got both a set of WTOs and a set of BTLOS so i'll weigh in on both...

1) WTO 45s. I picked up a set of rim brake WTOs not too long ago to be my daily driver wheels (dry days only) on my Ti road bike. Biggest thing I notice about them over other carbon wheels i've had is the braking. I've had other Boras in the past including the ACO, and the braking on these is the best I've ever had on rim brake wheels in the dry (again, dont ride this bike in the wet). That being said, if i'm truly honest, I dont think i could tell the difference between these and other Boras or other carbon wheels in that depth. I do feel as if cross winds are great with the WTOs, but for flat out speed, I don't think any of us could tell the difference between similar depth wheels from other brands... I'm not fast enough or a pro and so the aero advantage is the least of my worries over losing weight, getting in more miles, etc. But, i love these wheels for all around use, spin up fast, roll great, great in cross winds... but, are they going to help me go 2mph faster than another similar set of wheels? no...

2) BTLOS - picked up a set of BTLOS WGC 40 wheels build to DT240exps this past spring, was looking to have 2 sets of wheels for my gravel bike, one running 30mm slicks and one running 35-45mm gravel tires. Other wheelset is a set of Aeolus 5 wheels. In any event, wheels are great, built with Pillar spokes, brass nips. Roll up fast, hubs are great, and great in cross winds. I have these with 35mm GK Slicks currently for fall/winter use on rough roads and they're a lot of fun. I did have an issue, wheels were 150g heavier than what they were specd on the website, was pretty bummed about that as i would have gone with the 30 or 35mm depth for this to save some weight... they said the calculator was incorrect on the site, and they would update, this was 6 months ago and it still builds up the same, so thinking they messed up and gave me a non-premium rim or something else. Mine were just over 1550g, were supposed to be about 1423g... Overall i've been more than happy though aside from that weight issue. If i were buying a set for my disc bike, I wouldnt hesitate to grab another set from them with 240s.

SO... both wheels are great, but used on different bikes so no way to actually compare the two. I love the WTOs on my rim brake bike, but if i were grabbing a set of disc wheels, i think i'm still sold on BTLOS, for under $1000 i got a nice sold set of wheels rolling on DT 240exp hubs, cant really beat that. I dont think you'd be able to tell a difference in speed between a similarly spec'd BTLOS or WTO wheels, both are aero, light, roll up well, etc.

The Campys are BLING... and hold their value...

Those are my thoughts at least, for what its worth...

Last edited by bikerboy337; 10-22-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Angry -- methinks madscience does have the WTO -- the 33's that he is talking about.
ah yes i see now. got it.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Yes, my 33s are the WTOs.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:25 AM

I’ve got the wto 45’s on my peg and they are just amazing wheels. Not only are they fast and light, they are stiff laterally and just seem incredibly well built. The rear spindle is a piece of art to look at, and the whole finish of the wheels is impressive.

My prior experience with carbon was enve 3.4’s with dt Swiss 240s. The wto’s are every bit as fast as the enve’s but built better and stop waaay better.

Getting ready to ride my first set of boras today (50’s) and can’t wait to compare them to the wto’s.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:45 AM

Not that the OP asked but the post above reminded me that WTOs stop marginally better than the Gen2 ENVEs imho (brake calipers are Record 12 for WTO and SR 11 for the ENVE and pads are manufacturer provided for each wheelset).

Old 10-22-2021, 09:35 AM

This is a timely thread. I am in the same boat and up to this point i had been focused on 33’s but i am wavering a bit now. With the OP, if Boras are noticeably better (i am focused on braking) i will certainly go that route but…

Farsports always seems to always have 15% off black friday sales which would bring a Kaze/CarbonTi build close to $1k.

Or these rims look interesting as well (~$1,300 CarbonTi build)

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-ro...available.html

Cane Creek also has 15% off BF sales so i am sort of leaning towards an EEbrake+chinese carbon wheel setup for well less than $2k.

I have never owned a rim brake raod bike so the input here is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Reading all the mad search for the Bora WTO on this forum, I am left wondering. Can any user relay their personal review of the Bora WTO? What I am most interested in knowing is the following:
1. For their depth, let's say, the WTO 45, does it ride "better" that other 45 mm wheels. Please feel free to define "better" any way you wish.
2. I have read that the Bora WTO "feel" like a much lighter wheelset. In my opinion, the WTO, at any depth, are quite a bit heavier than the offerings from Zipp (e.g. 353 NSW) or the Spesh Alpinist etc. Yet, I have read that despite their heft, they "feel" much lighter. Can anyone confirm? I just do not trust professional reviewers on websites anymore.
3. Any comparison with other wheels you have had in the past would be wonderful.
4. Basically, I am tossing the idea of getting a Bora WTO (maybe the 45). Or maybe getting one from BTLOS or EIECarbon (45 mm depth) and having them built with DT Swiss 180 or Carbon-Ti hubs and having them built to about 1250 g. Which option would you choose if you only had these two choices?
5. If you had $2000 to splurge on carbon wheels (and you have to spend it on carbon wheels, or else the boogeyman takes the money back), what would you buy?

It does not matter if you are relaying your experiences with the WTO disc or rim version. Just review away! Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for the input!
I can give you a partial response to your questions. I recently purchased a used, 2017 Colnago C60, loaded up with Campy 11 mechanical, and BORA WTO 45's, 2 way fit (rim brake) with Conti 5000's tubeless tires. Seat post is Colnago SP31, stem is Deda Elementi ZERO 1 and the bar is a Deda ZERO 2. Saddle is Colnago Prologo. Price was a ridiculously low $6600CDN.

I was told by the owner that the bike was seldom ridden, and from the condition, I'd have to agree. He said the wheels were new, and that was confirmed by a Colnago/Campy dealer in Toronto (where I live). I haven't had a real chance to take the bike out for a good spin owing to the weather, but I have taken it for a few short rides. My impression so far is that the thing flies. The wheels are plenty stiff enough, and I have not noticed any issues with lateral movement. Quite the contrary. They roll like nothing I've ever ridden. The official reviews that I have read confirm my own experience. They're simply amazing. Now, if I had a choice, I would have gone for the 33's, but this is what was on the bike, and I'm not complaining.

I've been riding high end racing bikes for forty years, and I was a licensed racer for five years back in the 80's. All of my previous bikes have had steel frames, nothing but Campy Record or Super Record groupos, and standard, low profile aluminum rims with tubular tires. The WTO's are my first carbon wheels, and my first experience with tubeless tires.

If I compare the C60 with the BORA WTO 45's to my 2005 Colnago Master with NOS Campy Delta Strada rims and Conti Sprinter tires, while the Master is not a dog by any means, it's just a different ride. The BORA WTO's are in another league, IMHO.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but as I mentioned, if I had a choice, I would have the 33's as I don't think I really need to the profile of the 45's. Many of you have far more experience with carbon frames and rims than I do, but that's my experience. I'd also add that I'm not a weight weeny, having spent my entire cycling life on steel framed bikes with conventional, aluminum tubular rims, so going from a 18'5lb Master to a 15lb C60 is a massive drop in weight.

What has always been important to me in cycling is the build, the quality, the design and the potential for resale. Weight is a consideration, but it is certainly not the first metric I use in buying cycling components. For example, I continue to ride Campy Record Profit Plus pedals (and I just ordered another pair), in spite of the fact that they weigh more that most, if not all other pedals. Having used Time pedals from their first appearance in the 1980's, until I broke three consecutive pairs after buying the Master in 2005, I switched to the all be it heavier, but reliable Profit. They are built to last. My $0.02 worth,
Old 10-22-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
This is a timely thread. I am in the same boat and up to this point i had been focused on 33’s but i am wavering a bit now. With the OP, if Boras are noticeably better (i am focused on braking) i will certainly go that route but…

Farsports always seems to always have 15% off black friday sales which would bring a Kaze/CarbonTi build close to $1k.

Or these rims look interesting as well (~$1,300 CarbonTi build)

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-ro...available.html

Cane Creek also has 15% off BF sales so i am sort of leaning towards an EEbrake+chinese carbon wheel setup for well less than $2k.

I have never owned a rim brake raod bike so the input here is greatly appreciated.

Can’t comment on the China options but the Bora AC3 and WTO braking is really good. You’d be hard pressed to find better for rim brake carbon, imo.