Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Virginia is the southern most part of the Northeast.
Virginia is in the Northeast? Blasphemy! Some of the statues may have been removed but that does not make it a northern state. Pennsylvania is in the Northeast and has milder weather than New York and New England. Check out Lancaster, Hershey, and some of the larger towns in the southern part of the state.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:23 AM
slower than you

Yeah, Robert E. Lee stirs in his grave.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Virginia is in the Northeast?
IMHO VA is in the midatlantic, but I'm sure that it has some fine cycling.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:07 AM

How's a flashcard reference

https://www.proprofsflashcards.com/c...their-capitals

Isn't the Northeast comprised of the original 13 states? Which includes Virginia. It is New England and Midlantic?

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org..._United_States
Old 10-17-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
How's a flashcard reference

https://www.proprofsflashcards.com/c...their-capitals

Isn't the Northeast comprised of the original 13 states? Which includes Virginia. It is New England and Midlantic?

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org..._United_States
Colloquially, people can call define "northeast" however they want, but the Census Bureau region is defined as ME, NH, MA, RI, VT, CT, NY, PA, and NJ, with the latter 3 being the mid-atlantic sub-region.

Also, the 13 original states went as far south as Georgia, so really has no relevance for defining "Northeast."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg census regions.jpg (92.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Colloquially, people can call define "northeast" however they want, but the Census Bureau region is defined as ME, NH, MA, RI, VT, CT, NY, PA, and NJ, with the latter 3 being the mid-atlantic sub-region.
I'd always heard that the boundary between "North" and "South" was (still) the Mason-Dixon Line, so ^^^this definition feels right to me.

fwiw there is nothing about Virginia that feels like the Northeast to me. Maryland otoh...

=====

Good luck Dave and congratulations on the next part of your life adventures!
Old 10-17-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Virginia is in the Northeast?
Certainly not. Not even close, says the virginia guy currently sitting in vermont...
Old 10-17-2021, 05:01 PM

How about Skillman/Hopewell NJ? Lots of rural areas but close to Lambertville, New Hope PA, and Princeton - all towns with lots of galleries and food. Hunterdon County just north has lots of gravel (Hell of Hunterdon is one such ride). Plus the Delaware & Raritan Canal is 77 miles of flat riding along the river going to New Brunswick and Princeton (many parts you can ride on either the NJ or PA side).
Old 10-18-2021, 05:45 PM

I live in Amherst, MA, and the riding is terrific. Jobs are hard to come by if you aren't employed by the Five Colleges or working remotely.

I also used to live in Princeton. That riding is good, too. Not at the same level, though if you like dirt roads, rides where you may see only a handful of cars, and mountain biking. No question you have more options here.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:36 PM

If retired, and moving to NE, I might think the best state for riding is one with no state income tax. I believe NH is only one.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If retired, and moving to NE, I might think the best state for riding is one with no state income tax. I believe NH is only one.
But Ralph, there's more to living and riding than whether or not you have to pay income tax. Weather, for instance, can be significantly different in NH vs points south, and that has a huge effect on riding. Plus, those taxes do help maintain the roads we ride on.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:52 PM

Imagonnago all opinionated. I've livee or spent significant periods of time living, riding and racing in Burlington, Brattleboro, Gettysburg (not Harrisburg but close enough), State College...

And.

Ithaca NY. Which for riding and quality of life beats all of them. We won't discuss the weather, which, well, we're discussing the NE so the differences are incremental unless you put Skiing into the equation, then you want New England, the further North the better. But Ithaca has the lakes, the hills and if you want to avoid the hills lots of quiet roads between that are flat or gentle rolling, often in Amish country or among the vineyards. Ithaca is a college town, economy is based on higher education, so culture. Flip side, lots of well educated people who come for a degree and never leave, so a pretty competitive job market if you don't come with a job or imminent retirement. But as a place to live with a remote/WFH gig, it's a pretty nice place to live. When it's not raining. Or snowing, or both at the same time. But like everywhere, climate change is a thing, and Ithaca may actually be on a positive trajectory with shorter, warmer, dryer winters. Did I mention the riding though? Unsurpassed in the NE IMHO. Car-free smooth pavement everywhere with views and waterfalls and cows and lakes and lots of maintained gravel, roadie heaven. I'm considering moving back for the roads and I'm in NorCal FFS

Last edited by zennmotion; 10-18-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

Also, the 13 original states went as far south as Georgia, so really has no relevance for defining "Northeast."
I agree with that map; with the notable exception of Texas. Texas is not part of any region, it's just texas.

Calling Virginia the "Northeast" is ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
Kingston, NY
i'm surprised this suggestion hasn't gone viral.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Imagonnago all opinionated. I've livee or spent significant periods of time living, riding and racing in Burlington, Brattleboro, Gettysburg (not Harrisburg but close enough), State College...

And.

Ithaca NY. Which for riding and quality of life beats all of them. We won't discuss the weather, which, well, we're discussing the NE so the differences are incremental unless you put Skiing into the equation, then you want New England, the further North the better. But Ithaca has the lakes, the hills and if you want to avoid the hills lots of quiet roads between that are flat or gentle rolling, often in Amish country or among the vineyards. Ithaca is a college town, economy is based on higher education, so culture. Flip side, lots of well educated people who come for a degree and never leave, so a pretty competitive job market if you don't come with a job or imminent retirement. But as a place to live with a remote/WFH gig, it's a pretty nice place to live. When it's not raining. Or snowing, or both at the same time. But like everywhere, climate change is a thing, and Ithaca may actually be on a positive trajectory with shorter, warmer, dryer winters. Did I mention the riding though? Unsurpassed in the NE IMHO. Car-free smooth pavement everywhere with views and waterfalls and cows and lakes and lots of maintained gravel, roadie heaven. I'm considering moving back for the roads and I'm in NorCal FFS

What he said. Ithaca is for road biking what Colorado is for mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk