Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 06:00 AM

We need stricter punishments for stupid - Houston cyclists hit

Being young and dumb cannot be an acceptable excuse.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-b...-waller-county

I don't know what reasonable would be but it has to be something other than a suspended license for a few months or even until 18.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwent View Post

I don't know what reasonable would be but it has to be something other than a suspended license for a few months or even until 18.
Pay full medical costs(including back to the Ins Co, rehab, future expenses), pay lost wages and other costs that arise, lose driving privileges until 25, jail time of 3 mo per victim.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwent View Post

The comments section in that link are terrifying...lots of excuses and proclamations that the cyclists had it coming for daring to ride in the road.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormansCay View Post
The comments section in that link are terrifying...lots of excuses and proclamations that the cyclists had it coming for daring to ride in the road.
You genuinely have to assume at this point that this is how the majority of drivers on the road actually feel. Roads are for cars and if cyclists or pedestrians get maimed or killed it's their fault for being in the way. I hear this sort of sentiment all the time even here in relatively pedestrian-friendly NYC, from people you would think would understand that vehicular homicide is not a game.

Keep your head on a swivel out there, ride in safety. And hoping for a swift recovery for these injured cyclists and swift and terrible retribution for the idiot driver.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
"The reason he couldn’t stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists," witness Chase Ferrell told FOX 26. "He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started."
good grief

i feel strongly that 16 is too young to have an unrestricted driver's license. i dont think brains are developed enough to understand consequences of actions at that age. sad that this happened, could have been any one of us.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:31 AM

It sucks AL the way around. We all have seen many cases where a driver causes injury or death to others yet due to how the court system works they get what amounts to a slap on the wrist.

How many stories have we read where someone that's had multiple dui convictions plows into several victims killing the victim? It's not limited to cycling but ALL people that are hit.

We often times blame the police and courts. They have their rules they have to operate in which limits the consequences for the offender.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:36 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormansCay View Post

The comments are not surprising given the source of that link.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:45 AM

Punishment Commensurate with Actions

Drivers need to be held responsible for illegal and irresponsible activities. Minimum of one year jail time for assault with a motor vehicle and suspension of all driving privileges for at least five years in addition to financial restitution, but considering this occurred in Texas……

Last edited by nickl; 09-26-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:47 AM

I thought diesel vehicles could not "roll coal" unless the engine was modified, and those modifications are illegal?
Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 AM

I relocated to NE Texas after I retired from the Navy. I think it was the second week there when a guy rolled coal on me while I was riding on the wide shoulder of a US highway. The wind pushed the smoke away from but fortunately, a highway patrol saw what happened and pulled the guy over. I've been in Arizona for about three years now and it has happened once but it was a pipe sticking up through the hood and he rolled on himself as much as our group.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I thought diesel vehicles could not "roll coal" unless the engine was modified, and those modifications are illegal?
Depends on the age of the truck.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:27 AM

if you want to kill people and get away scot-free, make sure you do it with an automobile.
Just make sure you're stone sober, and feign remorse
Old 09-26-2021, 10:40 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Texas.

Trucks only have to pass a visual, and even that is lax.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:46 AM

We need stricter punishments for stupid - Houston cyclists hit

I’m a Houston rider and have ridden out in Waller county many times. A number of things have happened out there in recent years that have led me to not ride out there anymore. Incidents like this, targeting of cyclists by local law enforcement, and an increasing population on already tight farm roads have made it not attractive. It’s a shame because there is a very organized cycling club that rides out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gutenbergler; 09-26-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
The comments are not surprising given the source of that link.
I somewhat agree but that source (Foxnews) was the only site I saw this morning that even ran a story on this. From reading way too many stories like this the comments are disgusting no matter the left/right leaning of the source.