Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 04:04 PM

Okay, that canyon looks fast sitting still. What a build with the Bora Ultras and RH tires. Like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4life View Post
Really? I did it a few months back. I think I might have taken 10 minutes to install the Stampedes in my Ultra WTOs with the help of an extra tube and a Lezyne pressure over drive pump.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
GP5K TL for speed, grip and durability.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one
At least according to bicycle rolling resistance the newest Schwalble TT TLE Addix was the second fastest tire they tested, just behind the Vittoria Corsa Speed G+. The Conti 5000 TL was 4th.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews
Old 10-24-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
At least according to bicycle rolling resistance the newest Schwalble TT TLE Addix was the second fastest tire they tested, just behind the Vittoria Corsa Speed G+. The Conti 5000 TL was 4th.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews
I’m sure those are great if you ride on perfect tarmac with no debris. The puncture rating is atrocious. I’d rather have more protection with more rolling resistance than spend that extra few seconds gained fixing flats.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 PM

I agree--no matter how fast the tire, if you have to stop to fix flats, that speed advantage is lost. I've not run these super light racing tires tubeless yet though, so maybe the sealant takes care of some of usual culprits. But, as they say in the BRR test explanations, the thicker tires seemed to seal better too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I’m sure those are great if you ride on perfect tarmac with no debris. The puncture rating is atrocious. I’d rather have more protection with more rolling resistance than spend that extra few seconds gained fixing flats.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I agree--no matter how fast the tire, if you have to stop to fix flats, that speed advantage is lost. I've not run these super light racing tires tubeless yet though, so maybe the sealant takes care of some of usual culprits. But, as they say in the BRR test explanations, the thicker tires seemed to seal better too.
Yeah the Schwalbe TT TLE has absurdly thin tread so it’s really more of a race day only tire. And in my experience (other might be different) Schwalbe pro one punctures a lot more than Conti as is, so making the tread even thinner than the pro one will make the tire more hassle than it’s worth for everyday riding. One thing I’ve noted is my GP5K TL seem to wear a bit faster than previous GP4K, roughly 1/3 less life. However even with the lesser observed lifespan they still match or exceed other tubeless options I’ve tried. Will see how the new GP5K TR work out once I have them.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:06 PM

Thank you!

It might not be the optimal setup for pure climbing sections but for anything else, this is the most comfortable and possibly fastest setup I've ridden yet.

Quote:
Okay, that canyon looks fast sitting still. What a build with the Bora Ultras and RH tires. Like.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottshead View Post
Challenge Strada Bianca handmade TLR are available in both 30 and 33.
Did you run this tire? I bought one in 36 and it is nearly impossible to mount. Ok, maybe impossible. I quit after getting one side on and it only sits in the rim's valley. Forget about getting it up on the shelf or even getting the other side of the tire on the rim. This is crazy.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Did you run this tire? I bought one in 36 and it is nearly impossible to mount. Ok, maybe impossible. I quit after getting one side on and it only sits in the rim's valley. Forget about getting it up on the shelf or even getting the other side of the tire on the rim. This is crazy.
I’ve had challenge in both 30 and 40 sizes and they are a bear to mount the first time. Takes a lot of stretching, baby powder, patience and a bead Jack helps as well. Much easier afterwards

The tires themselves are a joy to ride though. Probably best combo of speed, suppleness and grip although might not be the most durable. Somewhat pricey but they do look great.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I’ve had challenge in both 30 and 40 sizes and they are a bear to mount the first time. Takes a lot of stretching, baby powder, patience and a bead Jack helps as well. Much easier afterwards

The tires themselves are a joy to ride though. Probably best combo of speed, suppleness and grip although might not be the most durable. Somewhat pricey but they do look great.
Thanks @yinzerniner. I'll keep giving it a try. I'll mount it up on another rim while I wear down the other tires and see if that helps. I wanted to try these but as I was trying to mount it, I imagined what would happen if I got a flat 25 miles out there and attempting to stuff a spare tube in there to get home.