Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Vittoria Corsa Controls in 30C are a wonderful tire for cushier ride on road, and some pave/packed dirt adventures. I have had great luck with the 28's on my Bedford in the past, and put a set of 30's on my soon-to-be father-in-law's bike which he was thrilled with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I would go with Wattvagen and ltwtsculler91 in voting for the Vittoria Corsa Control in 30's. Lovely for ride and grip, and I have found the puncture protection to be reasonable.
Vittoria doesn't offer any tanwall tires in TLR at the sizes the OP requested.

The WTB Expanse (formerly Exposure) comes in Tan but it weeps sealant like crazy, is somewhat tough to mount, isn't very durable, and rides very slow. It's very comfy though - seems to be a direct comparable to Rene Herse offerings. Having ridden five different WTB tan wall offerings they always look great, ride comfy, but slow and fragile with mediocre grip.

Challenge has a reputation as being hit and miss for quality and reliability. And their sidewalls look more bright yellow than tan.

Teravail Ramparts have the tan (ie brown/transparent) sidewall, but are a pretty average tire all around. Look, ride and wear decent but not superlative in any way.

As of right now it looks like the choice is between aesthetics and overall performance for tubeless road.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:50 PM

Conti

It looks like (via Cyclingtips) that Conti will be releasing the GP5000 in a transparent, brown sidewall. I haven't ridden these, but my wife likes hers. Not sure when they will be available.

David
Old 02-02-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
It looks like (via Cyclingtips) that Conti will be releasing the GP5000 in a transparent, brown sidewall. I haven't ridden these, but my wife likes hers. Not sure when they will be available.

David
Again, the GP5k transparent is not tubeless, and not in 30 or 32 size:
Quote:
The transparent colour will be available in 25 or 28mm clincher only options.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/cont...-tan-sidewall/
Old 02-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
The WTB Expanse (formerly Exposure) comes in Tan but it weeps sealant like crazy, is somewhat tough to mount, isn't very durable, and rides very slow. It's very comfy though - seems to be a direct comparable to Rene Herse offerings. Having ridden five different WTB tan wall offerings they always look great, ride comfy, but slow and fragile with mediocre grip.
funny that you say that and i'm not questioning your experience, but mine is the exact opposite with the expanse. i have the tanwalls, they mounted super easy and held pressure overnight with no sealant. i added my sealant of choice, which admittedly is thicker than most on the market and have many hundred trouble free miles. actually from a leak standpoint, these are probably my "tightest" tires, going weeks in between airing them up.

maybe there has been some real variation in the mfg quality?
Old 02-02-2021, 05:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Specialized Roubaix Pro fit the Bill. Roll decent, pretty stout, set up easy.
I have had these, they are pretty excellent for the price.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
funny that you say that and i'm not questioning your experience, but mine is the exact opposite with the expanse. i have the tanwalls, they mounted super easy and held pressure overnight with no sealant. i added my sealant of choice, which admittedly is thicker than most on the market and have many hundred trouble free miles. actually from a leak standpoint, these are probably my "tightest" tires, going weeks in between airing them up.

maybe there has been some real variation in the mfg quality?
My mistake, after reviewing the wtb info the expanse was previously the exposure, but it was the exposure 32 with more sidewall and knobby tread, not the smooth tread exposure 30 version which I had experience with and is now the new exposure 32c

New expanse 32c
https://www.wtb.com/products/expanse
Which was old exposure 32c
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/wtb-...2-tire-review/

New exposure 32c
https://www.wtb.com/collections/road/products/exposure
Which was the old exposure 30c
https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...sure-30c-tire/
Old 02-02-2021, 05:17 PM

They may not be tanwall, but I highly recommend the Conti GP5K TL in 32c as a great all around 32c tubeless tire. Rolls extremely fast and durable (even on dirt). I had a pair of the WTB Exposure in 30c and found them to be just decent, not bad, not really good and very expensive for the miles I got out of them. In general, I like most WTB tires, but I think the Conti GP5K TL is on another level. It is a very well made tire that performs much better (IMO) compared to the Exposure. If you want performance, forgo the tanwall requirement and get the Contis.

Last edited by muttley; 02-02-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Again, the GP5k transparent is not tubeless, and not in 30 or 32 size:

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/cont...-tan-sidewall/
Not tubeless for the OP, but I like these. I’ve missed the old Continental brown walls. But, I have to wear out my GP5k TdF cream walls first. I also have the Corsa Control 30’s in tan wall on another bike. Tubes for the win!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:51 PM

I've wanted to try the Sim Works Volummy tires, but don't have a bike to try them out on right now. Made by Panaracer, tubeless compatible, come in 32c among a couple other sizes:

https://www.sim.works/collections/si...34901532573862

Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 PM

I had Volummys in 700x38 for a while. They look cool, but are much heavier and far less supple than GravelKings. I became concerned that they might never wear out and that I’d be stuck with them forever, then the weather turned bad and I switched to GravelKing SKs, which have been my favourite tyre for a few years now.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirke View Post
I've wanted to try the Sim Works Volummy tires, but don't have a bike to try them out on right now. Made by Panaracer, tubeless compatible, come in 32c among a couple other sizes:

https://www.sim.works/collections/si...34901532573862

Those things look comfy AND heavy AF.

See that Schwalbe is also latching onto the "transparent" sidewall trend for their Pro One TLEs. The newest gen Pro One TLE is very comfy and much easier to install, but they def fall behind the GP5K TL for speed, grip and durability.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one
Old 02-02-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Those things look comfy AND heavy AF.
I can confirm the latter. Hard pass from me.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:27 PM

I've had roubaix 30/32, panaracer gravel kings 32 and sawtooths 42. The roubaix tires have been the best for rolling speed and great grip. The sawtooth are my favorite and go to tire. I've got over 3000 miles on them with wildly mixed terrain and they still have lots of life. The gravel kings are cool and grippy but I will not be buying them again. I had a sidewalk blowout with them in the first ten miles and the ride quality is not the same as the other two.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:58 AM

Get RH Stampedes and use them tubeless
Old 10-09-2021, 08:07 AM

Only 20miles on my 30mm WTB Exposure but they rolled really nice on mixed terrain!