Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 04:31 PM

I like the Farsports offerings too. Their Ventoux Series, which comes in a carbon and CX-Ray spoke options, looks a lot like the Bora WTO in terms of dimensions and weight. It does however, cost almost as much.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/far-ventou...els-p0116.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
You and i are having an identical struggle.

A set of these with (i hope) Farsports typical 15% off black Friday sale are holding me back.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/kaze-26mmw...24h-p0016.html
Old 10-24-2021, 09:35 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Yes, for those that do not understand, chasing weight is an addiction in itself.
I understand this better than most, but with how the WTO's ride, and how they look - you will feel fantastic with the WTO purchase.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Just joined the Bora club. First ride this morning on 45 WTOs (with Vittora Corsa G2.0 28c tires). These are some FAST! wheels. But they do everything else so well. They are comfortable, great road feedback, very responsive - accelerate instantly, resistant to cross winds. Braking is fantastic, both in braking power and modulation. As good as any alloy rims I have ridden. The brake tracks do generate a bit of noise, but it is subtle and not at all objectionable.

I would not expect to be able to replicate the performance of the Bora wheel set by assembling a random set of carbon rims, hubs, spokes and spoke pattern. It is apparent that Campagnolo spent a lot of time developing a system of technologies, components and configuration that work well with each other. Similar to the Zonda wheels, which perform above expectation.

Extremely happy with this purchase!
Old 10-24-2021, 06:41 PM

Definitely want a set, if I can snag a good price
Old 10-24-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Kept coming back to the weight differential between the Ultra and the Chinese wheels. The Bora's will add about 0.39 lb to the weight of my bike.

Yes, for those that do not understand, chasing weight is an addiction in itself.
I have rode tons and tons of wheels. Bora has always been the hallmark. Especially in tubular. Smooth, light, and that glide on ice feeling. Then the WTO came out. More modern of a wheel. No tubular flavor and gained some weight. Not really any wins in my book except for those beautiful campy hubs and bearings so I dove in and bought a pair. You will soon forget about the weight as they do not feel heavy. The wider internal width is welcomed greatly for that solid glued to the tarmac feeling that gives you confidence to dive into corners.

Tubeless seems to be more mental than anything. Like riding gatorskins instead of Turbo Cottons.

In short. Grab that credit card and slap that pay now button. You will not regret it. Oh and it doesnt matter what bike you out them on, it will make it better.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
I have rode tons and tons of wheels. Bora has always been the hallmark. Especially in tubular. Smooth, light, and that glide on ice feeling. Then the WTO came out. More modern of a wheel. No tubular flavor and gained some weight. Not really any wins in my book except for those beautiful campy hubs and bearings so I dove in and bought a pair. You will soon forget about the weight as they do not feel heavy. The wider internal width is welcomed greatly for that solid glued to the tarmac feeling that gives you confidence to dive into corners.

Tubeless seems to be more mental than anything. Like riding gatorskins instead of Turbo Cottons.

In short. Grab that credit card and slap that pay now button. You will not regret it. Oh and it doesnt matter what bike you out them on, it will make it better.
you prefer the ride of wto over the tubies, really?
Old 10-24-2021, 07:57 PM

I can chime in on this too. Own the Bora 50 Ultra tubbies. The ride is absolutely fantastic with 25 mm Arenberg. Even better is the ride quality on broken tarmac. I can feel the plushness of the tubular wheel/tire combo.

However, I feel that current 28 mm clinchers ride very, very well. I, for one, cannot tell the difference between my 25 mm tubular setup and 28 mm tubeless clinchers on smooth and smooth-ish (Colorado chip seal) tarmac roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
you prefer the ride of wto over the tubies, really?
Old 10-24-2021, 08:02 PM

interesting i bought a tubular campy wheelset this year just to knock if off the bucket list. i normally ride 28s with tubes and the difference going down to a 25mm tubular was immediately noticeable. it is not an illusion. the 25 on narrow rims feel so much better than the 28mm clinchers on wide rims. the real deal
Old 10-24-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
I like the Farsports offerings too. Their Ventoux Series, which comes in a carbon and CX-Ray spoke options, looks a lot like the Bora WTO in terms of dimensions and weight. It does however, cost almost as much.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/far-ventou...els-p0116.html
I see the Farsports wheelset at $1700 and ProBikeKit has Bora 45 wheels in stock at $1800, and you're seriously considering the Farsports wheels? Why?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:20 PM

That is the most expensive model with carbon spokes. Look at the Kaze. ~$1,100 with CarbonTi hubs. Probably able to get 15% off for black friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
I see the Farsports wheelset at $1700 and ProBikeKit has Bora 45 wheels in stock at $1800, and you're seriously considering the Farsports wheels? Why?
Old 10-25-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post

I’m not seriously looking at the farsports Ventoux—but I’ll likely get a 650b set from them when they go on sale. I ordered the WTO 33s yesterday. FWIW—the shipped price with tax from both PBK and Chain Reaction comes out to just shy of 2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2021, 06:19 AM

I have the following WTO wheels, I'm quite a fan:

WTO 33 Rim (currently on C64 but have also fitted them to a Ritchey Road Logic previous to that)

WTO 33 DISC (have ridden on Cinelli Nemo Tig Disc, and 3T Strada Due)

WTO 45 DISC ULTRA (have ridden on 3T Strada Due and S-Works Aethos)

I also have a set of ZIPP 303 Firecrest (The tubeless hookless ones released last year) also ridden them on Aethos and 3T Strada for comparion.

I still own all these wheels and have about a years worth of riding on them all except the 45 WTO Ultra which I got in the Summer this year when they were released.

All the Bora wheels have amazing bearings, they spin in the stand much longer than the Zipp's, and the freehub is less draggy. The WTO 45 Ultras feel faster than the ZIPP's but I think there's very little in it on a timed run (both setup tubeless and are hassle free to mount tyres on)

My least favourite of the WTO's were the WTO 33 Disc, they seemed the stiffest of the WTO wheels in terms of ride quality, especially if running non latex tubes like Tubolito. The 33 Rim are probably my favourites, they are quite a bit lighter than the disc variant. The WTO Ultra 45 are super fast and nearly as light at the ZIPP 303 Firecrest, they are quite a bit narrower at 19mm instead of 25mm internal but are fine with 28mm tyres. If you running wider then I think the 303 FC are better suited. I generally prefer the ride feel of the Campagnolo wheels, they are a notch up in terms of build quality than most other wheels.

I also have a set of Shamal Carbon DB on my gravel/winter bike bike (was a Ritchey Outback but now a Shand Stooshie) and I'd say they are better than the WTO 33 Disc wheels as they are only fractionally heavier but wider at 21mm, and deeper I think at the rear and seem to roll beautifully. They just feel like a slightly more evolved version of the WTO 33 DB.

Last edited by sleepyfelix; 10-25-2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:38 AM

More Bora WTO love here.

I have WTO 33 & 60, rim. They are stiff, smooth, feel really fast. Bearings are great. They look fantastic and build quality is excellent - as with all Campag wheels I’ve seen.

Braking is excellent. Beats any alloy rims I’ve ridden or Enve’s textured track. Very good in wet too (just a slight delay as water clears rim, then modulate really well). They can squeal a bit if pads aren’t slightly toed in, otherwise very easy to live with.

60s handle very well for their depth in cross-winds - better than other 45s I’ve ridden.

Really easy tubeless set up is another plus (I’ve used with Schwalbe Pro One and Pro One TT).

They are not crazy light, but hardly heavy. Overall I can’t fault them. Personally I wouldn’t touch generic carbon rims for rim brake wheels.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Kept coming back to the weight differential between the Ultra and the Chinese wheels. The Bora's will add about 0.39 lb to the weight of my bike.
I went there (light wheels) some time ago, really light semi aero Zipp rimmed tubular wheelset. Sub 1200g......after I rebuilt (I was building wheels for myself back then) the rear wheel using heavier gauge drive side spokes in order to increase stiffness.

Light wheels are fun.....at first. What I didn't like was that I had to "stay on top" of those light wheels in a paceline. While light wheels accelerate quickly, they also slow down quickly so more micro accelerations. meh.

The Bora's that I purchased (One 35's) some years ago proved to me that a semi aero wheelset at around 1400g is the all around sweet spot. That the Campagnolo hubs are the best......that was immediately apparent the I first time I used the wheels on my Crumpton.

The biggest bang for your light weight bucks........sub 150g seat post and if one works for you, a sub 100g saddle.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:28 PM

They're great wheels. Feel solid, braking is great.

The Bora 50s make you feel like you're riding a knife they're so stiff and great for sprinting out of corners. As I don't do that too often anymore the WTOs are the all around better options.

Running Conti GP5000 25 Tubeless and haven't flatted since getting them.

I don't love the look of them with the smaller steel tubes. But they spend most of the time on a rim Tarmac SL6.