Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2021, 11:05 AM

Advice on multi use SSCX/Track bike

Howdy,

Limited space in the garage means I can really only justify one shiftless bike in my stable. Apart from custom, what frames do you all think could/would handle some SSCX racing, off road riding, and maybe a few track races in the summer? I would love a MASH work but those are rare and $$$. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2021, 12:04 PM

not super fancy, but steamrollers can fit some pretty big (40c ) tires. Swap in a light wheelset and you can put some laps in at the track.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
not super fancy, but steamrollers can fit some pretty big (40c ) tires. Swap in a light wheelset and you can put some laps in at the track.
Yeah I was thinking that, I have a track fork I could swap maybe with a canti fork and run center pull in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2021, 12:32 PM

My Steamroller experiences were older frames sold probably more than 5yrs ago, so getting kind of stale. But I found on both frames that though I could fit fairly wide tires, I had issues with the chainstays being short enough that the larger tires wouldn't allow full use of the dropout. The tire would hit the seat tube before the axle/wheel could reach to the front of the dropout.

Granted one might want the longer distance when using fatter tires, but the issue running fixed was having some gearing limitations not being able to use full dropout travel.

Running a single speed freewheel with a tensioner might help there, but with no additional tensioner mount/thread you'd need to double-up on the axle nut?

And I'm definitely out of my league/depth here, but aren't there now tons of gravel-y frames with sliding/interchangeable dropouts that could be rigged as SS, have lots of clearance for SSCX travel, and easily take a drop-in set of track wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonzie View Post
Yeah I was thinking that, I have a track fork I could swap maybe with a canti fork and run center pull in the back.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb View Post
My Steamroller experiences were older frames sold probably more than 5yrs ago, so getting kind of stale. But I found on both frames that though I could fit fairly wide tires, I had issues with the chainstays being short enough that the larger tires wouldn't allow full use of the dropout. The tire would hit the seat tube before the axle/wheel could reach to the front of the dropout.

Granted one might want the longer distance when using fatter tires, but the issue running fixed was having some gearing limitations not being able to use full dropout travel.

Running a single speed freewheel with a tensioner might help there, but with no additional tensioner mount/thread you'd need to double-up on the axle nut?

And I'm definitely out of my league/depth here, but aren't there now tons of gravel-y frames with sliding/interchangeable dropouts that could be rigged as SS, have lots of clearance for SSCX travel, and easily take a drop-in set of track wheels?
I've run through a lot of these issues before, both from my commuters, All City Nature boy, All City Big Block, and the Mash Frame I currently am building.

There's several dozen options out there for sscx/tracklocross, but here's a few that are fairly easy to find.

http://www.velocicycle.com/old-street - Copying the Mash directly
https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/frames/the-allday/
https://www.squidbikes.com/products/so-ez - 135 rear spacing, requires specific wheel or axle swap, axle swap is the easiest pending on the brand you choose.
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller - Always a solid choice
https://sim.works/collections/doppo-...36329585836198 - They make track ends for this frame not sure of the spacing though.

In regards to gravel, or other disc frames being run fixed or single, as long as you're operating within a fixed set of parameters, it's doable. Track wheels, sans a few very select options, are generally off the table. If you're using a Disc QR135, with sliding drop outs, or EBB, there's a few possibilities that overlap with the Squid SO-EZ.

PF30 BB for eccentric BB - See Squid
https://www.squidbikes.com/products/...bottom-bracket

Chainline - again, see Squid.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IlR...E690m8VH8/view
Cog has to be flipped if you're using a 135/142 thru axle to bring the chainline in to an acceptable level. Have to use a larger cog to make sure you're clearing your spokes appropriately. 142 thru axle has to use a 142mm fixed specific wheel (https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...bs/fixed-word/), or bolt on 6 bolt cog but chainline is 52mm, and can cause issues there of course since that's harder to correct for in that setup.

Single speed - Surly singulator or similar + single speed cog if non PF30, or oner EBB if PF30.

Some frame brands (VERY FEW) that use replaceable sliding dropouts have track end options. You're typically relegated to using the sliding portion of the drop outs as your chain tensioner. It works, but it's not my favorite option since you're impacting the frame directly, without an option to replace dropout plates or the like. This is obviously contingent on how often you're changing tension (different cogs, etc) but I still am not a fan.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:04 PM
n - 1

I’ve had both a Steamroller and Nature Boy. Both good bikes

Steamroller I had couldn’t fit bigger than 35mm (true to size) tires. It’d max out with the calipers and the seat tube, chainstays. I’d probably not go with this option for your purposes.

Nature Boy was great. Fit Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads. I raced CX a few times on it. Nice and simple design. Good geo. Two bottle bosses. This would be my suggestion.

I’m currently on a Cross Check. Probably wouldn’t go with this if you are thinking of track racing.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:55 PM

Another vote for the Nature Boy. I run mine geared, but about to go back to SS or fixie (with a Paul Fixed Word, as mine is a TA disc frame).
Old 10-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Old 10-24-2021, 06:39 PM

Not steel like the other options here but a 2018 crockett is awesome. I have one and they have sliding dropouts so the can be run ss. They can easily clear 40’s and can go geared if you want to switch it up. Have to get the previous gen because they got rid of the sliders on the current bike.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I would love a moots, definitely out of my price range for this particular bike spot though.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Not steel like the other options here but a 2018 crockett is awesome. I have one and they have sliding dropouts so the can be run ss. They can easily clear 40’s and can go geared if you want to switch it up. Have to get the previous gen because they got rid of the sliders on the current bike.
Good call...I'm on the look-out for one cheap.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 PM

I believe Trek Checkpoint has sliders, too?..
also, if you could get a Singular Gryphon - EBB, 135/100 QR, fits wide tires, disc…
Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
I believe Trek Checkpoint has sliders, too?..
also, if you could get a Singular Gryphon - EBB, 135/100 QR, fits wide tires, disc…
Not the 2022 models.