Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 07:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
No doubt the regulations were in place, but I think pre-post WWII was pretty lax and probably depending a lot on your rank. My grandfather was a Chief Machinist before/during/after the war in the Pacific and brought home all kinds of stuff. He had the Captain's deck chair, steering wheel, and telegraph from a German U-boat, some gear he took off salvaged ships in the Marshall Islands/Kwajalein after he witnessed atomic testing in the late 40's, and numerous weapons from Japan when he was part of the initial occupying force in Kanagawa immediately after surrender. All of that before he was 35
Ouch..I was a 'Naval Aviator', not a 'Naval Officer', but yeegads man..it's a 'helm', not a 'steering wheel'...
Quote:
a tiller or wheel and any associated equipment for steering a ship or boat.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 AM

Very cool sword and a neat legacy to your family members service. Do you plan to display it? No sword knowledge here but it definitely looks westernized and parade/dress worthy.

No swords, but I have a lot of bring back and relics from wwii from two different family members, including a prewar ppk that is till shoot from time to time. Bayonets, a helmet, a gravity knife, coins and cash, armbands and medals from totenkopf and ss regimens. Some fun stuff too including German soaps and booklets on why you should stay away from German women. My wife’s grandfathers were amazing men, one was a Sherman tank captain and not only did he make it back alive after trudging from Africa to Sicily and eventually all the way from Belgium, France and eventually to Germany. Wish I had a chance to meet him. I’ll spare you the pictures to keep from being banned. The other was a dive bomber gunner who entered at 17 he survived being shot down once and crashed once and eventually helped to scout Japanese mainland invasion points. Such a kind soul it’s hard to imagine he did what he had to do and at such a young age.

I can’t imagine what those guys must’ve lived through. Teenage heroes willing to risk it all. I have a large window box type frame that I plan to repurpose as a display case in my mancave one of these days so it doesn’t have to just sit in a box.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Small ring

The sword will be going to my oldest surviving son. He will display it. He asked if there were any WWII mementos, and this was the only one. My father served at the Okinawa and Iwo Jima invasions.

It is very cool, and I appreciate the knowledge shared here on most any topic.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Small ring

I found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/31360124695...p2047675.l2557

Pretty much identical, not as fancy a blade.