Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 03:12 PM

hydraulic brake hose compatibility?

Anyone know if Shimano and Magura brake hose are interchangeable? I know there are separate mineral oil and DOT (SRAM) hoses, but Shimano and Magura brakes both use oil and are nominally the same diameter. Jagwire makes an aftermarket hose that it claims works with either (just add different end fittings), which also suggests that Shimano and Magura hoses are compatible.
Are there any other mineral oil hydraulic hoses people can recommend? Hope? There are some cheap generic ones on Amazon, but they get horrible reviews and for a safety item like brake hose I'd rather have something I can trust.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:15 PM

I'm pretty certain Magura hoses always come with the banjo fitting for the caliper preinstalled. I believe the Shimano brakes that require a banjo fitting need a hose that specifically comes with one installed. And I believe most of the newer Shimano brakes use a regular olive and barb setup both ends, but maybe it's just their XC/road stuff.

I can't imagine the banjo fittings for Shimano and Magura are identical enough to substitute but I can't tell you for sure.

Jagwire hoses are a whole different thing. They sell a hose, and they sell connectors that make their hose work with a specific caliper or brake lever. There's no reason you can't run a Magura caliper fitting on one end with a Shimano lever fitting on the other end, but the amount of fluid the lever pushes will probably make the brakes feel very different, I would think.

Basically, just use the brand of hose that your brakes are. There are plenty of fun substitutions for other parts, but something like a brake hose- just use the right one. Now if you're talking about mixing Shimano levers with Magura calipers, that's a different conversation.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:22 PM

I have Shimano levers and calipers, but am working on a new frame with internal cables, plus switching to flat mount calipers (which do have a straight connection, so no banjo). I already have a length of Magura hose, left over from my XC bike with Magura MT brakes, so the question is whether there is any reason I can't just use that length of hose instead of buying a new piece of Shimano hose.

Yes, I could buy new Shimano hose, but I'm impatient and have the Magura hose already, and it would save $45.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:06 AM

Something similar is discussed here:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-...317#post_59913

It’s mtb related but details mixing Shimano and Magura hydraulic parts. I’ve never tried it but I think you’d be ok as long as you have the correct barbs, olives, banjos, etc needed. YMMV
Old 10-24-2021, 09:48 AM
Resident Slacker

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/brake-h...atter.1131385/

"Shimano and Magura hoses have different ID's, and their barbs are indeed different as well. Stick with Magura parts on Magura hoses and vice versa with Shimano. Magura hoses, however, will "bolt" right up to a Shimano lever, provided you use the Shimano hose nut. Using a Shimano barb in a Magura hose will cause a leak."