Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 10:40 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
No worries, with my wandering mind no telling what I type or mistake I'm going to make trying to explain something.

Well, more in this case wrong glasses reading. The other fun part of aging as well as loosing FTP/Watts steadily.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:15 PM

Just got it back. The FD is really old, it's a FD-1050 so it most likely is the issue.

I thought about this more as I drove to town.* I've only had a few rides on this since it's a recent pickup.* FD was rubbing on the outer ring and I adjusted for that.* Then I found the crank had a lot of side to side play in it.* That had allowed grit inside the BB past the seals.* So I replaced the BB, put on the crank, but never fully checked everything since I was already planning on doing the other work to it. So this probably never did work correctly as I think about it.**
Old 10-23-2021, 12:23 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Then I found the crank had a lot of side to side play in it.*
Maybe what allowed it to work at all.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:35 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Just got it back. The FD is really old, it's a FD-1050 so it most likely is the issue.

I thought about this more as I drove to town.* I've only had a few rides on this since it's a recent pickup.* FD was rubbing on the outer ring and I adjusted for that.* Then I found the crank had a lot of side to side play in it.* That had allowed grit inside the BB past the seals.* So I replaced the BB, put on the crank, but never fully checked everything since I was already planning on doing the other work to it. So this probably never did work correctly as I think about it.**
You can use any 5600/5700/6600/6700/7800/ double front derailleur with your shifters.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:20 PM

Well that took about 5 minutes, LOL! Took off the old one and remounted the FD-7800 I had. Had to lower it a bit on the frame, made sure it was aligned and put the cable back on. Working perfectly in the stand now. There may be some tweaking on the first road but we'll see. For a guy who normally works on old steel rides it's a bit unnerving to tighten the FD clamp on an aluminum frame.

Anyway, so now it should be fully sorted. New housings and cables, some lighter Zipp bars I got recently, the ST-7800 shifters, that FD-7800 and I had the hubs sorted out. Oh, I also decided to have inline adjusters put on both derailleur cables even though I hardly ever have to resort to those. Just a nice touch in case I just don't like how this rides and moves it on.

Brought this one home at 17 lbs 10 ozs. With all the changes made since I got it the ol' beast is now just 16 lbs 8 ozs. When I get in the new tubular rims for this it should be under 15 lbs. Crazy light compared to most of my stuff. My lightest steel is 17 lbs 14 ozs.

This is how it's looking now with the exception of the FD swapped onto it now.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:50 PM

James, I believe that is the first of your bikes that you have posted that I am not a fan of the look. Not that it matters, not being critical, just too much going on with the colors and logos for my taste. I hope you wind up loving it.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
James, I believe that is the first of your bikes that you have posted that I am not a fan of the look. Not that it matters, not being critical, just too much going on with the colors and logos for my taste. I hope you wind up loving it.
LOL, no worries! Sometimes you gotta just go a bit crazy. Sorta like this one too:

S
Pair all that going on with me in a patriotic red, white, and blue kit, helmet, jersey bibs, socks, gloves, and the water bottles.

The tubular wheels for this will tone it down a bit and in all honesty the large Fizik saddle may not work for me which would mean just putting on a white saddle.

Of course this Cannondale does appear to be a team/club paint scheme so nothing subtle about it.

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-23-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
You can use any 5600/5700/6600/6700/7800/ double front derailleur with your shifters.
6500 and 7700 shifters and derailleurs also interchange in this mix too.

I have also used triple da shifters with double FDs just fine, just adjust the lower stop.. Likewise I have never had a problem with a triple FD with double shifters in this mix.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 PM

Yeah, I have a couple of 7700 FD's on hand and almost used one of them.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:27 PM

Pre STI derailleurs Won't Work w/ STI

When Shimano released STI, there was not enough cable pull for the pre-STI front derailleurs like your 1050. This is why Shimano released new derailleurs at the same time. For example the 6400 derailleur will not work with STI but the 6401 derailleur will work with both STI or down tube shifters. This derailleur has two cable routing grooves at the clamp nut. For down tube shifters the cable is routed over the nut, for STI the cable is routed under the nut.

Last edited by Fivethumbs; 10-23-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
This is the FD and Crank on it right now.

I do have a FD-7800 and even a 53/39 7800 crank I could put on this if the current setup continues to stump me. I had totally forgotten I had a complete 7800 groupset on hand or I probably would have just swapped all of that on.
Tough to tell but that looks like a 7s, early 8s front der. The ones that moved at an angle when they moved to the big ring rather than perpendicular to the seat tube. And that one is not compatible with 10s LH STI shifter.