Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 09:40 PM

Chains-

So, I'm prone to making stupid mistakes when working on my bikes. For example, this evening I was fitting two new, freshly waxed chains. I used the big-bog +2 looks method. But instead of adding two links, I went the other way and ended up removing two links. As a result, my chains are too short and won't allow shifting across the entire cassette. I can avoid shifting into the two largest rear cogs when in the big chainring, (something I'd do anyway.) But can I simply use another quicklink to add some extra links?

Steve
Old 03-16-2024, 03:57 AM

Yeah, absolutely not a problem.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:07 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I wouldn't do it - quick links aren't as highly weight-optimized as "regular" links, so you'll be adding 0.002 more grams than you really need.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:02 AM

I've had chains with two quicklinks without mishap.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:36 AM

I'm trying this with some AXS chains that are now too short with a larger cassette. I used some YBN or KMC 12 speed links that are easily identified and will never be removed. An AXS link will be used to break the chains for cleaning.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:16 AM

I’d just get new chains- lesson learned.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:01 AM

I've joined links on a flat top chain without adding an extra quick link and I'm not dead. I forget but one side is better when pushing the pin.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:55 PM

Whenever I have to add just a couple of links, I start by finding a remnant that is as long as possible, then splicing this into the appropriately-shortened chain using two connecting links, several links apart.

Connecting pins and connecting links both add pitch to the roller spacing, local to the link, and I don't like the idea of two added-pitch links or pins next to each other, to say nothing of any other dimensional plate-shape differences between outer connecting links and normal links.

Also, whenever splicing in links, I always start by only breaking a chain so as to remove any existing connecting links or pins, grinding away the head of any Shimano connecting pin before driving it out.

For anyone as fussy as I am with respect to maintaining the pitch between rollers, know that Shimano's connecting links do a much better job at maintaining the proper pitch between rollers than KMC's cheaper connecting links. So I prefer using Shimano's connecting link when for instance installing an 11s Campagnolo chain without having the special peening tool for Campagnolo's connecting link.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
So, I'm prone to making stupid mistakes when working on my bikes. For example, this evening I was fitting two new, freshly waxed chains. I used the big-bog +2 looks method. But instead of adding two links, I went the other way and ended up removing two links. As a result, my chains are too short and won't allow shifting across the entire cassette. I can avoid shifting into the two largest rear cogs when in the big chainring, (something I'd do anyway.) But can I simply use another quicklink to add some extra links?

Steve
You 'could but ideally, figure out the chain length then use the two chains to make one with the snap links on opposite sides/ends of the chain so they aren't right next to each other.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:25 AM

If the chain can take a replacement chain pin, use that. Stronger, better, cheaper.