Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 06:03 PM

Somewhere warm with constant rainbows Billy Mays and Ron Popeil are smiling.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Let's just be realistic. TPC is simply riding the current wave of bike/component shortages and playing on peoples propensity to make somewhat irrational decisions to get something in stock today.

The market is very much there right now and their throughput has exploded in the last year handily filling a void that contained excited buyers ready to throw cash.

whether or not that is a "responsible" business model or not is certainly up for debate, but plenty of companies have done the same under similar conditions. making hay when the sun shines and all of that. this will all slow down and supply chains will sort themselves out and all that, hopefully TPC doesnt face the wrath of rapid irresponsible expansion and wind up holding the bag with more employees than they can pay and more warehouse space then they can afford to pay the rent on, and they wind up in a death spiral.

time will tell.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

Curious why people seem genuinely offended at prices for things they aren't going to buy.
I believe that it’s seen as more of a reflection on that person or businesses core beliefs and how they do business with others.

When I was a kid, my big brother who was in H.S. explained it this way. If you buy a $500 piece of junk car and pay $2000 for it, everyone is going to say you’re an idiot and to the guy who sold you the car - way to go.

His explanation defines our system pretty well. Back then, that really struck me as pretty messed-up. I still feel that way.

I think that’s why. Minority opinion I know.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:30 PM

If that black patch is a piece of carbon glued to the downtube, that is a great example of what not to do when repairing a carbon structure. Repairing that way results in a stiff spot with large stress risers and each end of the patch. Weak and unreliable.

Last edited by windsurfer; 12-16-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:09 PM

If the frame was black and matte, with the repair hardly noticeable, would TPC still attract the same amount of angst and criticism?
Old 12-16-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Along those lines, i think what bothers me is the "certified pre-owned" designation. if you have a certified pre-owned program, presumably that means the best bikes get that sticker and the lower stuff does not. i think it's somewhat irresponsible for them to provide a reassurance like that on a carbon frame with such an eye sore of a repair, unless they have intimate knowledge of it's integrity.
Just a rudimentary understanding the English language gives you the knowledge that 'certified pre-owned' is the same as "confirmed as used".
Old 12-16-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I believe that it’s seen as more of a reflection on that person or businesses core beliefs and how they do business with others.

When I was a kid, my big brother who was in H.S. explained it this way. If you buy a $500 piece of junk car and pay $2000 for it, everyone is going to say you’re an idiot and to the guy who sold you the car - way to go.

His explanation defines our system pretty well. Back then, that really struck me as pretty messed-up. I still feel that way.

I think that’s why. Minority opinion I know.

Agreed. Farking over your neighbor to get ahead is one of the many things wrong w our society.. sure, caveat emptor - but also you reap what you sow. And none of what they are doing screams “sustainable business model” to me.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Just an onslaught, full court press on Google shopping results, Instagram, Facebook, the ads on many websites. If you use the internet, you will be force fed TPC listings without even trying.
I'm on the internet quite a bit, and a fair amount of that is visiting cycling related web sites. I can't recall ever seeing an ad for TPC bike, other than on ebay (and even there, I haven't seen one recently). I guess the ad-bots must be tracking you differently then they track me.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:43 PM

...And now that bike with its hideous patch is stalking me on Instagram
Old 12-16-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Along those lines, i think what bothers me is the "certified pre-owned" designation. if you have a certified pre-owned program, presumably that means the best bikes get that sticker and the lower stuff does not. i think it's somewhat irresponsible for them to provide a reassurance like that on a carbon frame with such an eye sore of a repair, unless they have intimate knowledge of it's integrity.
I agree. the TPC "Certified Pre-Owned" moniker seems to be banking on customer's confusing it with real CPO program, such as those offered by auto brands. While the CPO programs between auto brands differ, they each have their own strict criteria (such as maximum age and mileage), but more significantly, CPO autos come with manufacturer backed warranties (and since they are manufacturer backed, owners can obtain warranty service from any certified dealer). Good luck finding warranty service on any TPC "Certified Pre-Owned" bike.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I agree. the TPC "Certified Pre-Owned" moniker seems to be banking on customer's confusing it with real CPO program, such as those offered by auto brands. While the CPO programs between auto brands differ, they each have their own strict criteria (such as maximum age and mileage), but more significantly, CPO autos come with manufacturer backed warranties (and since they are manufacturer backed, owners can obtain warranty service from any certified dealer). Good luck finding warranty service on any TPC "Certified Pre-Owned" bike.
They are on track and planning to open physical stores in at least 10 markets so that should help.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:17 PM

I love the TPC threads here. We have a fair sized contingent rushing to defend like they're a small garage company just trying to do their best with their can-do attitude and tiny footprint in the big bad bike industry. When in reality they're a VC funded monster that's chomping at the bit to engage in the worst DKO flipper behavior that essentially destroyed the classic and vintage bike hobby and community.

Embarrassing lowest cost and least effort carbon repair, there.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I love the TPC threads here. We have a fair sized contingent rushing to defend like they're a small garage company just trying to do their best with their can-do attitude and tiny footprint in the big bad bike industry. When in reality they're a VC funded monster that's chomping at the bit to engage in the worst DKO flipper behavior that essentially destroyed the classic and vintage bike hobby and community.

Embarrassing lowest cost and least effort carbon repair, there.

Nobody knows what DKO flipper means and I think most people here are aware of the funding so it's not like you just schooled us all.

The worst...LOL
Old 12-16-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

Nobody knows what DKO flipper means
Google is your friend:

From Bill's Vintage Steel Bikes page:

"'DKO' flippers: I coined the term DKO on bike forums several years ago to describe those flippers out there that find bikes cheap, do the bare minimum, and turn them for a profit. DKO stands for Dirt Knocker Offer, there are plenty of them out there."
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-16-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Google is your friend:

From Bill's Vintage Steel Bikes page:

"'DKO' flippers: I coined the term DKO on bike forums several years ago to describe those flippers out there that find bikes cheap, do the bare minimum, and turn them for a profit. DKO stands for Dirt Knocker Offer, there are plenty of them out there."
Even when it's spelled out, "dirt knocker offer" doesn't really make any sense to me. Is that some sort of old-timey vernacular?