Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 12:22 PM

New Zine: Calling in Sick

Forum member and good friend @adamhell had been publishing a cool zine called Calling in Sick. I wrote a review of the Lemond Prologue for the latest issue and took some pictures of @princecycling on it around town.

If you asked ‘why’ you’ve asked the wrong question. In the carbon fiber world of aerodynamic tubes, road bikes with dropped seat stays, and enormous in your face logos, the Lemond Prologue is a carbon-fiber city jammer with a motor in the place of its heart of gold.

The chorus of disdain from the naysayers, the rational thinkers, the MBAs, and the armchair critics can be silenced with a single question: Who cares? The thing is damn fun.

Ironically, the bike lanes that make San Francisco such a good center for urban riding avoid its most compelling aspect, the bountiful rolling hills. Ranging from the undulations through the outer sunset to the laughingly sharp crests of Portrero and Telegraph hill, the most common bike routes avoid these areas like the plague. And why not, who really wants to blow out their knees and lower back paperboying their vintage steel cruiser up a street where the parked cars must be perpendicular to the incline.

Point the Lemond up these hills, however, and with an irreverent grin, spin on up them. The truth becomes apparent quickly, motor aside, this is still a bicycle. You’re not cheating. It’s like the gentle push of my father while learning to ride, yet there with every pedal stroke. My legs are still moving, my heart still beating, lungs still getting worked. Just a little less. Less enough to not sweat through my jeans,

Then you turn and wow does the fly. Most of the ebikes I’ve ridden are bike share bikes, heavy, cumbersome vehicles meant to withstand everything. The Lemond weighs on a bit more than my hardtail and cuts through traffic, leans into corners and zigs and zags just as well.

It turns out there is a good answer to the question why? Because when I first made it around the block without my training wheels many years ago, bombing down the hill I lived on spinning around the schoolyard, my sheepish grin was irreplaceable. The Lemond is that kind of fun which in the end, is what riding bikes is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2021, 12:26 PM

Old 02-27-2021, 12:34 PM

San Francisco is a scary place.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM

Nice pics and pics of the pics.

It could of course just be your processing but looks like Fuji Classic Chrome.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Forum member and good friend @adamhell had been publishing a cool zine called Calling in Sick. I wrote a review of the Lemond Prologue for the latest issue and took some pictures of @princecycling on it around town.

If you asked ‘why’ you’ve asked the wrong question. In the carbon fiber world of aerodynamic tubes, road bikes with dropped seat stays, and enormous in your face logos, the Lemond Prologue is a carbon-fiber city jammer with a motor in the place of its heart of gold.

The chorus of disdain from the naysayers, the rational thinkers, the MBAs, and the armchair critics can be silenced with a single question: Who cares? The thing is damn fun.

Ironically, the bike lanes that make San Francisco such a good center for urban riding avoid its most compelling aspect, the bountiful rolling hills. Ranging from the undulations through the outer sunset to the laughingly sharp crests of Portrero and Telegraph hill, the most common bike routes avoid these areas like the plague. And why not, who really wants to blow out their knees and lower back paperboying their vintage steel cruiser up a street where the parked cars must be perpendicular to the incline.

Point the Lemond up these hills, however, and with an irreverent grin, spin on up them. The truth becomes apparent quickly, motor aside, this is still a bicycle. You’re not cheating. It’s like the gentle push of my father while learning to ride, yet there with every pedal stroke. My legs are still moving, my heart still beating, lungs still getting worked. Just a little less. Less enough to not sweat through my jeans,

Then you turn and wow does the fly. Most of the ebikes I’ve ridden are bike share bikes, heavy, cumbersome vehicles meant to withstand everything. The Lemond weighs on a bit more than my hardtail and cuts through traffic, leans into corners and zigs and zags just as well.

It turns out there is a good answer to the question why? Because when I first made it around the block without my training wheels many years ago, bombing down the hill I lived on spinning around the schoolyard, my sheepish grin was irreplaceable. The Lemond is that kind of fun which in the end, is what riding bikes is all about.

Yo Luc! Here I thought you were just using the Paceline to further your career as a "forearm model." But no... you've got some writing chops! Well done!

One quick suggestion: change the title to "New Zine" so it's more indicative of what the content is about. This is a "side hustle" (presumably) I can get behind. Were do we get it? How much does it cost?
Old 02-27-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

One quick suggestion: change the title to "New Zine" so it's more indicative of what the content is about. This is a "side hustle" (presumably) I can get behind. Were do we get it? How much does it cost?
Good suggestion. This is very much Adam's project, I'm just a friend with the occasional thing to say. I believe he has a webstore, or you can pm adamhell to purchase a copy.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Nice pics and pics of the pics.

It could of course just be your processing but looks like Fuji Classic Chrome.

Thank you! It's all shot on a Fujifilm Xt-1, I usually start with the Classic Chrome or Velvia, I'll have to look back in lightroom to see what I did with these...
Old 02-27-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Thank you! It's all shot on a Fujifilm Xt-1, I usually start with the Classic Chrome or Velvia, I'll have to look back in lightroom to see what I did with these...
Yep

X-T1 user here.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:46 PM

Love the pics! I used to live near the spot with TI - Yerba Buena in the background.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

I love the new lemond bike, looks great and I think much cooler that the new company will focus on ebikes instead of more of the same that has failed time and time again.

Zine look awesome too.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Looks great. Would love a link to purchase, my Google Fu failed finding any publications with the name "Calling in Sick"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I love the new lemond bike, looks great and I think much cooler that the new company will focus on ebikes instead of more of the same that has failed time and time again.

Zine look awesome too.
Agreed.

If LeMond just came out with another rehashed road bike in an overly crowded market would enough people really care? I doubt it.

Smart move. Probably easier to sell the "story" to Joe bike consumer in a big city who doesn't know much of the details but know Lemond was the man.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Agreed.

If LeMond just came out with another rehashed road bike in an overly crowded market would enough people really care? I doubt it.

Smart move. Probably easier to sell the "story" to Joe bike consumer in a big city who doesn't know much of the details but know Lemond was the man.
my thoughts exactly. I also think the design of the bike is nice and looks like the perfect city bike. I am glad someone finally figured it out, instead of saying, oh lets release a Lemond gravel bike no one will buy.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:43 AM
what's a little rust?

I like this project! And I miss that city. Post-pandemic plans ...
Old 02-28-2021, 12:33 PM
mentholated

my buddy caught a record burbot and submitted a story about it to the zine and adam was like “nah im vegan” and denied it.