Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 07:35 PM

not a hater but Specialized cranking up prices

I actually really like my Roubaix and Turbo Creo but I Spec just cranked up prices a lot. Not sure about non-ebikes but somethins going on with Creo. At least one model up $1K oh my.

I was in Mike's Bikes Petaluma today and the manager said things are just nuts. Covid, supply constraints, and they are trying to keep employees who are doing hazardous "work" with no vaccine in sight for them. Perfect storm in the bike biz.

You might think they are making money hand over fist but the combo of higher employee costs, ridiculous supply constraints, and even backed up repair revenues cuz they can't get parts still make the bike biz a hard nut to crack.

He congratulated me for finding Conti 5000 32 in Italy. He'd do the same.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 PM

Yep the prices for Specialized went up 10% right after I got my tarmac. Other brands are doing it too.

As far as parts you gotta be scrappy. It's getting hard to find certain things and it seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Gonna have to start compromising and using what you can get not necessarily what you want.

Warranty replacements on stuff like shimano parts is really bad too. They just don't even have stuff. It's starting to become every man for himself.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Vendor

I was speaking to an industry person who knows some things going on with 2 of the biggies (S being one of them). If what he says is true, there will be some pretty earth shattering changes for both of them. He didn't give me a time frame though.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I was speaking to an industry person who knows some things going on with 2 of the biggies (S being one of them). If what he says is true, there will be some pretty earth shattering changes for both of them. He didn't give me a time frame though.
Oh come on you can't just say something like that and not spill the beans. Spill em dude I'm sure you didn't sign an NDA.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I think you will see big push for growth and dominance (already are?) from the big players. Trek has been on a tear buying places for a few years. Specialized opening more stores. Do we see Cannondale stores or do they already exist?
Old 02-26-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I actually really like my Roubaix and Turbo Creo but I Spec just cranked up prices a lot. Not sure about non-ebikes but somethins going on with Creo. At least one model up $1K oh my.

I was in Mike's Bikes Petaluma today and the manager said things are just nuts. Covid, supply constraints, and they are trying to keep employees who are doing hazardous "work" with no vaccine in sight for them. Perfect storm in the bike biz.

You might think they are making money hand over fist but the combo of higher employee costs, ridiculous supply constraints, and even backed up repair revenues cuz they can't get parts still make the bike biz a hard nut to crack.

He congratulated me for finding Conti 5000 32 in Italy. He'd do the same.
Can't really just single out Specialized for price increases. Given that you're citing a single shop I understand why it immediately stood out but everything bike related is getting a price bump.

See article here:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...n#.YDmkK1VKhaQ
Old 02-26-2021, 07:49 PM

Also...not sure how reliable but I heard Canyon was planning stores here?
Old 02-26-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Also...not sure how reliable but I heard Canyon was planning stores here?
Ha! Fantastic. Given their track record over the last ten years they will never have any bikes, regardless of COVID and even if production was at max capacity
Old 02-26-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Ha! Fantastic. Given their track record over the last ten years they will never have any bikes, regardless of COVID and even if production was at max capacity
I have no clue but friends I know who don't identify as cyclists ask me about these bikes regularly.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I have no clue but friends I know who don't identify as cyclists ask me about these bikes regularly.
You know what? Weird. Same here.

Two have bought and recived Canyons and love them now that I think of it
Old 02-26-2021, 10:48 PM

The industry is pretty nuts right now. Sales are up but so are increased labor costs due to covid regulations and shipping costs have doubled for basic ocean freight. I know that specialized does quite a bit of air freight so they may be just hemorrhaging money in shipping. I still think the bikes are way overpriced but if they were trying to maintain the same margin then it only makes sense to increase the prices. Also that whole supply/demand thing....
Old 02-26-2021, 11:27 PM

Unless you walk through the coals hand in hand with Mike Sinyard and Tony Robbins...things are little rough right now if you're a specialized dealer. Rumors are true

30 day terms and loyalty tests...just to get in line behind motorsports dealers to stock bikes with a mid 20s margin. Covid-19, take me away

Not 100% sure how draconian the other brands are but probably somewhat similar

2022 will be a even more interesting year
Old 02-26-2021, 11:35 PM
commuter racer

specialized prices are a joke!
Old 02-26-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
specialized prices are a joke!
Go try and find an SL7 in your size that is available for purchase. If the prices are a joke that should be noooo problem since obviously nobody would buy them.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:58 PM

oh well.

'merica: shop someplace else.

in fact, shop smart. shop s-mart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtSC7VTQFI