Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 PM
The B!

seems like "short" might work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1CD84B0-0021-4791-9BE1-52A651FCD2AC.jpg (30.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
seems like "short" might work
Good chance given it's a caliper brake. On my bikes they were canti or disc and it just set the fender way too high.

Should work in your case.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:05 AM

Thinking more...

Dry fit your wheel and fender and make sure you think you have enough space for that daruma to not interfere. Less of a problem on a touring bike vs a road bike.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 AM
The B!

well i got it on - i finally realized i could loosen up the bolt-on tab and flip it around so the screws/tab base are under the crown instead of the caliper, which allowed me to get it flush (ish) under the crown and give purchase for the caliper to fully compress it.

im still gonna look for a daruma for a final solution though, as A) thats super slick, and B) i dont want to have to fap around with having to realign everything with the third hand i dont have if i wanna unbolt the caliper while out on a ride for whatever of many reasons.. and i guess C), the fender is now rotated 1" further aft on the wheel, so presumably 1" less effective
Old 02-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
well i got it on - i finally realized i could loosen up the bolt-on tab and flip it around so the screws/tab base are under the crown instead of the caliper, which allowed me to get it flush (ish) under the crown and give purchase for the caliper to fully compress it.

im still gonna look for a daruma for a final solution though, as A) thats super slick, and B) i dont want to have to fap around with having to realign everything with the third hand i dont have if i wanna unbolt the caliper while out on a ride for whatever of many reasons.. and i guess C), the fender is now rotated 1" further aft on the wheel, so presumably 1" less effective
Ah yes...that's as it should be I think. Snap a pic. Further aft helps at the bottom for foot spray.

Fenders rarely just bolt right on a bike, but when they do it's great. Usually a fair amount of work and puzzle solving ensues. Over the years I have seen countess customers "give it a shot" then come back and say.....I should have just paid you guys to do it in the first place.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 AM

PlugNut fender mount

I don't see that the OP mentioned what type of fork crown/steerer tube is in play, but if this is a 1" steel steerer, then the PlugNut fender mount is a solution to consider. This little widget installs (press fit) in the lower end of the steerer. It creates an M5 boss that is flush with the lower face of the crown, that stays in place on its own, and is compatible with any brake/rack that mounts using a centerbolt through the crown.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/341561...posted-public/

The PlugNut is available through the Velo Lumino web store (www.velolumino.com) in the Fender Widgets section. Under the Support tab, you can find links to the detailed installation document and to an installation video.

Not convinced? Scroll down the VL Support page and watch a fun little video of destructive testing with a simulated aluminum fender.

Cheers,
Tom

(Disclosure: I have a commercial interest in the PlugNut fender mount.)

Last edited by Tom Matchak; 02-23-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM

PlugNut fender mount

I don't see that the OP mentioned what type of fork crown/steerer tube is in play, but if this is a 1" steel steerer, then the PlugNut fender mount is a solution to consider. This little widget installs (press fit) in the lower end of the steerer. It creates an M5 boss that is flush with the lower face of the crown, that stays in place on its own, and is compatible with any brake/rack that mounts using a centerbolt through the crown.

The PlugNut is available through the Velo Lumino web store. Under the Support tab, you can find links to the detailed installation document and to an installation video

Not convinced? Scroll down the VL Support page and watch a fun little video of destructive testing with a simulated aluminum fender.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It is. What fork do you have? These things are not super common these days and the VO one is pretty short. You have a 60 year old bike shop in your neck of the woods? Maybe Ebay

I could not use it on my Gunnar or a SOMA but to being short.
I had a similar issue with my wife's Soma, the regular daruma was not long enough and I was worried about tire clearance with the thread sticking out from the bottom of the fender.
I made a "female" version of the daruma, i.e. with a threaded hole rather than a male thread.
Quick and simple on the lathe and using a screw with a low profile head minimized the impact on clearance to about 2mm.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:09 PM

Just came across the daruma bolts that Sim Works sells from Honjo, both a 'standard' length that is 17mm long and a 'short' that is 12mm. Perhaps the 17mm is longer than the Velo Orange ones?

https://www.sim.works/collections/sm...crowndarumastd

Just leaving this here in case it helps someone in the future.

Quote:
It is. What fork do you have? These things are not super common these days and the VO one is pretty short. You have a 60 year old bike shop in your neck of the woods? Maybe Ebay

I could not use it on my Gunnar or a SOMA but to being short.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Matchak View Post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/341561...posted-public/

The PlugNut is available through the Velo Lumino web store (www.velolumino.com) in the Fender Widgets section. Under the Support tab, you can find links to the detailed installation document and to an installation video.

Cheers,
Tom

Plug Nut

Good idea why not make 1 1/8 ?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
I had a similar issue with my wife's Soma, the regular daruma was not long enough and I was worried about tire clearance with the thread sticking out from the bottom of the fender.
I made a "female" version of the daruma, i.e. with a threaded hole rather than a male thread.
Quick and simple on the lathe and using a screw with a low profile head minimized the impact on clearance to about 2mm.
Pics?

You seem to be handy.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirke View Post
Just came across the daruma bolts that Sim Works sells from Honjo, both a 'standard' length that is 17mm long and a 'short' that is 12mm. Perhaps the 17mm is longer than the Velo Orange ones?

https://www.sim.works/collections/sm...crowndarumastd

Just leaving this here in case it helps someone in the future.
I think the VO is closer to the 17mm but not 100%
Old 02-27-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Pics?

You seem to be handy.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post

Quite nice and simple. Thanks for posting.

By simple, I mean elegant. I'd probably use zip ties.

Last edited by gbcoupe; 02-27-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 PM

Nice

Interference fit...no rattle?