Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
I have Amazon Prime, and I'm very happy with Amazon Music. I subscribe to their Unlimited with HD.

The only Apple device in our house is my wife's iPHone.

In my living room, I play Amazon Music via the app on my Fire Stick 4k, which is capable of Ultra HD audio quality.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about it.
Thanks...that's good information. I have not paid close enough attention to the different levels of service. I'm going to test drive their free offers. Looks like Prime membership provides a price break and brings down below Spotify's price.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:59 PM

I am deep into the Apple verse and have a family music subscription for the 4 of us. My oldest son has switched to Spotify so that probably says something. Music suggestions and random playlists on Apple were really subpar but over the past 4-5 months it has improved quite a bit.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:15 PM

Spotify has the largest library to my knowledge. I switched 3-4 years ago. Spotify is everything that pandora should have been. The suggestions I get from Spotify are spot on. They have a new release radar that every Friday shows me new music from artists that I have shown interest in. Most of the artist have a pre made list of their hits labeled this is ........ and is perfect. I stream it through a fire stick on my surround sound. The app is on my phone and makes my phone the remote. So I can control what we are listening to with my phone. I have an onkyo receiver so my phone also controls the volume. Our TV is only on 5% of the time in our house. The rest of the time it is music. I would pay double what I pay for Spotify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 03:34 PM

+1 for Spotify.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:17 PM

I use Pandora, for two reasons.
1) It's pretty cheap to get away from commercials
2) I find it easier to hear stuff I never have heard before that might be like something I have.
I don't want to set up playlists.
I just want to pick an artist or particular song (not a genre), and have the service play similar things for me until I switch to someone/thing else. I may be missing something, but I haven't figured out how to do that in Spotify or Amazon music. If anyone can explain that to me, I'd consider a new service. Pandora is a bit limited.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
Spotify has the largest library to my knowledge. I switched 3-4 years ago. Spotify is everything that pandora should have been. The suggestions I get from Spotify are spot on. They have a new release radar that every Friday shows me new music from artists that I have shown interest in. Most of the artist have a pre made list of their hits labeled this is ........ and is perfect. I stream it through a fire stick on my surround sound. The app is on my phone and makes my phone the remote. So I can control what we are listening to with my phone. I have an onkyo receiver so my phone also controls the volume. Our TV is only on 5% of the time in our house. The rest of the time it is music. I would pay double what I pay for Spotify.

I used to use Pandora until my oldest daughter talked me into joining Spotify. She says for the three of us, my two girls and myself, it would only cost $5.00 each per month. I’m like that’s a good deal! Until a few months later when I realized it was costing me $15/month for the service....lol, my daughter is so much smarter than me. Still, I agree their library is excellent and can think of only a few songs they don’t have. Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I used to use Pandora until my oldest daughter talked me into joining Spotify. She says for the three of us, my two girls and myself, it would only cost $5.00 each per month. I’m like that’s a good deal! Until a few months later when I realized it was costing me $15/month for the service....lol, my daughter is so much smarter than me. Still, I agree their library is excellent and can think of only a few songs they don’t have. Good Luck!

Lol if that’s the worst she gets you for you are getting off easy.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:39 PM

Spotify and Qobuz. Spotify for rock mostly, Qobuz for classical.

Spotify only understands "songs", it doesn't get that a symphony e.g., is made up of four "songs", Qobuz does.

Most of the time (at home) I use Roon to interface with my own music collection and Qobuz, this works best.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:39 AM

I was also on Google play. When that transitioned to youtube music, all of a sudden I could not listen to my own music-that I had uploaded from cds or purchased online- without ads after every track. In unrelated decision I purchased youtube premium because I've been watching a lot and dont like the ads. That may have also taken care of the ads in YTM. I still dont like the interface. The search defaults to YTM rather than letting you search your own library-always shunting you off into the goolge/recommender universe.

The various digital artifacts are another annoying thing. Someone mentioned song transitions.

Another issue is sound quality, but probably for another thread.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:03 AM
what's a little rust?

The forced introduction of digital rights management (aka all your music belongs to us) chased me away from Apple. I still have music in iTunes on a few non-networked devices, but I use Amazon Music Premium for streaming.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
Lol if that’s the worst she gets you for you are getting off easy.

Yeah, here's another one. When my girls were in high school, I let them have access to my uber/lyft account. I told them it was for emergency use only. Well, one night my oldest was out with friends and they wanted to take an uber home. She said, don't worry dad, they will all chip in and I'll collect the money. I said ok. The next month I get the bill, of course, and I see two charges from lyft for like $30 each. I asked her about it and she said yeah, I collected the money and walked away....so I was left with the bill, while she cashed in for spending money...

She just finished her engineering degree and has a job offer in hand. Now I can borrow from her! LOL

Last edited by bfd; 02-21-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:18 PM
coffee consumer

+1 for Spotify...I have the 'family plan' and both my kids are on it as well as others in my family. I download albums and playlists, but also have unlimited data and streaming is good, consistent. Pandora was good to start with, but then it goes off on some weird tangents and next thing ya know, you're listening to something thats so far from where you started. Spotify's "radio" function is great and really stays true to genre.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:06 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/22/2...ing-hd-quality
Old 02-22-2021, 12:19 PM

Wow, great news. About time. With that said, even with a decent Hi-Fi and good headphone setup, the difference between 320kbps and lossless still can't be detected by my ears. However, what can definitely be detected is a bad master versus a good master. As long as Spotify keeps putting out good masters, I'm happy, regardless of lossless playback.

Now if they'd just start paying musicians what they deserve.....
Old 02-22-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Audiophile and Amazon user here. The basic service is fine for pc listening. The HD service is amazing, boatloads of content, much of it 48/96. Lifechanging if you're into that sort of thing. Tidal has good stuff too but library not as broad.

Audiophile and Tidal user here. Interesting to hear what you think of the catalog differences? I’ve yet to find something missing on Tidal. Love the Tidal Grateful Dead catalog.