Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 09:29 AM

OT: Subscription Music Services, which one?

What subscription music services are Forumites using??

I have not used any of them and as an Amazon Prime subscriber I receive regular marketing on their service. Curious how the services compare.

Have Forumites found any pitfalls with services pairing with devices/operating systems? I'm a PC user that uses older (family leftovers) iPhones and iPads so I'll be using the spectrum operating systems.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:39 AM

I use Spotify, I have it loaded on my phone and Bluetooth it in my car. I live in a pretty isolated area and have satellite radio but find myself listening to my playlists.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:40 AM

I use Apple Music. I like the Apple ecosystem, and use iPhones, AirPods, Apple TVs, iPads, etc. Paying the monthly fee is much less expensive for me than when I was buying music by the album to load on my devices. And with the cloud-based Apple match service and family service, my music is automatically is available on all of my devices and my wife’s devices.

All the commercial music I want is available on Apple Music. I occasionally buy some live recordings from BandCamp, or live Dead releases. But once these are imported into iTunes on my PC, they are available on all my devices via the cloud service.

The only downside is that if I stop subscribing, I will lose the license and ability to play music I downloaded from Apple Music during the course of the membership.

Last edited by djg21; 02-20-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:46 AM
Shifty Member

I have Youtube Music mostly because I had Google Play Music which was way better. YTM is still really good for me and I don't want to get rid of it because it also gets rid of ads in Youtube, which I can't stand.

My gripe with it is that the music discovery isn't quite as good and their mood playlists are a bit more blah. My biggest annoyance however is that they don't have the song cache that GPM had. I work in an environment where I'm often going from building to building and hitting different wifi systems.
GPM would be seamless between buildings and would go automatically to the cache when outside instead of using data. With YTM, even a WiFi blip will cause the music to stop. I could even set the cache to have enough songs for my walk from the hospital to my car and the drive home. I can still sorta do that with YTM, but I have to download stuff ahead of time and then make sure it's all still preloaded before actually planning to listen offline.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 10:25 AM

Is anyone using Amazon Music Service?

Is anyone with experiences using amazon music service? I'm already a Prime subscriber and I don't do much on the Apple platforms.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:20 AM

Deezer
Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 AM
Small ring

I have a Usenet account. I rotate what I store on my phone.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
Is anyone with experiences using amazon music service? I'm already a Prime subscriber and I don't do much on the Apple platforms.
I have Amazon Prime, and I'm very happy with Amazon Music. I subscribe to their Unlimited with HD.

The only Apple device in our house is my wife's iPHone.

In my living room, I play Amazon Music via the app on my Fire Stick 4k, which is capable of Ultra HD audio quality.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about it.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:28 AM

Been covered before here, I think

Royalty issues aside, Spotify is the best agnostic service. I use it as an app on my iPhone, MacBook Air and Samsung TV and through the web on my notebook PC. Essentially all the history of released recorded music is available, plus podcasts and solid playlists/channels (algorithms!). It integrates with Instagram, if you're into that thing. Finally, you get a free Hulu (with commercials) subscription. The UI is 4-year-old friendly/easy.

Last edited by barnabyjones; 02-20-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I use Apple Music. I like the Apple ecosystem, and use iPhones, AirPods, Apple TVs, iPads, etc. Paying the monthly fee is much less expensive for me than when I was buying music by the album to load on my devices. And with the cloud-based Apple match service and family service, my music is automatically is available on all of my devices and my wife’s devices.

All the commercial music I want is available on Apple Music. I occasionally buy some live recordings from BandCamp, or live Dead releases. But once these are imported into iTunes on my PC, they are available on all my devices via the cloud service.

The only downside is that if I stop subscribing, I will lose the license and ability to play music I downloaded from Apple Music during the course of the membership.

I use apple and I may still be paying for them to provide access to all the stuff I purchased via CD and uploaded. Don’t remember but it works fine and I do the family plan so kids and wife have access as well. Works great for the little we use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 11:36 AM

SiriusXM for the car - you can get it for ridiculously cheap on one of their 3 month startups - then call to cancel and they will keep matching that low price.

Spotify for my running music (apple watch/earbuds/iphone/laptop).
Old 02-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Big fan of tidal here. Been using them for a few years and they just keep getting better. The MQA/360/Dolby playlists are incredible. I started out using them due to the high quality with an DAC/AMP setup, but even casual use with a phone is pretty rewarding. You can also always find a super cheap promo trial deal.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:43 PM
slower than you

I use Spotify. The ability to "download" playlists to my phone, therefore not needing a connection to listen in the car and elsewhere is great. Big record store in the sky. They've also jumped into the podcast market bigtime (Joe Rogan just signed an exclusive contract), but I still use Castbox for that.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:55 PM

Audiophile and Amazon user here. The basic service is fine for pc listening. The HD service is amazing, boatloads of content, much of it 48/96. Lifechanging if you're into that sort of thing. Tidal has good stuff too but library not as broad.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
I have Amazon Prime, and I'm very happy with Amazon Music. I subscribe to their Unlimited with HD.

The only Apple device in our house is my wife's iPHone.

In my living room, I play Amazon Music via the app on my Fire Stick 4k, which is capable of Ultra HD audio quality.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about it.

I generally use prime unlimited HD or sometimes Pandora. I stream them through my two channel set up and it sounds really good. My only gripe somtimes with Prime is if I'm listening to an album where songs bleed into the next track. It will interupt it when going to the next track which I find annoying.

W.