Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 09:25 AM

Taking a breath, Oregon wildfires close in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Recent quote "things will cool off, just watch" and "science doesn't know"

The goats are loose and those in the fire danger zone, good karma going your way. Fire season will be year round along with hurricane and tornado 'seasons'...127 days.

No, fire season won't be year round once the winter rains come. Even if the world stops all greenhouse emissions now, it will take decades to recover. We need better ways to prevent, mitigate, spot and get to these fires earlier, and put them out faster rather than a cop out "Oh, it's climate change." Maybe they should have shut down power before the wind event in Oregon that sparked these fires due to downed power lines. That's what's happening in California. Maybe we need a better power grid. Maybe we need better forest management. Maybe we need stricter building codes. Maybe we need massive fire breaks. Maybe we need better fire fighting technology so we can spot a small fire from satellites and get to it fast via helicopter, like a military operation. Maybe we should ban campfires in forest lands. And yes, we need to do sensible things to reduce the effects of climate change. I've got solar power and a plug-in hybrid car. How come there's no California rebate or tax credit for solar?

Rant over...

Last edited by MikeD; 09-15-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:

The goats are loose and those in the fire danger zone, good karma going your way. Fire season will be year round along with hurricane and tornado 'seasons'...127 days.
I listened to this meeting here in CA yesterday, was hard to stomach, and pretty insulting to a life long Californian. Oregonians be thankful you were spared. First talk was about how many leaves are on the ground, western states need to manage their forests better. Then someone pointed out that the majority of burned land is federally owned national forests. Hmm, OK. Then some poor guy tried to explain the impact and reality of climate change, which prompted that response. Lovely slap in the face.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
No, fire season won't be year round once the winter rains come. Even if the world stops all greenhouse emissions now, it will take decades to recover. We need better ways to prevent, mitigate, spot and get to these fires earlier, and put them out faster rather than a cop out "Oh, it's climate change." Maybe they should have shut down power before the wind event in Oregon that sparked these fires due to downed power lines. That's what's happening in California. Maybe we need a better power grid. Maybe we need better forest management. Maybe we need stricter building codes. Maybe we need massive fire breaks. Maybe we need better fire fighting technology so we can spot a small fire from satellites and get to it fast via helicopter, like a military operation. Maybe we should ban campfires in forest lands. And yes, we need to do sensible things to reduce the effects of climate change. I've got solar power and a plug-in hybrid car. How come there's no California rebate or tax credit for solar?

Rant over...
I don't think any reasonable educated person would quip that "Oh it's just climate change". It is of course part of the equation, not all. What we'd like to NOT hear, however, is that climate change has NOTHING to do with it, and is a hoax.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 PM
commuter racer

Quote:

I'm moving back to the Chemung River valley.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:59 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I don't think any reasonable educated person would quip that "Oh it's just climate change". It is of course part of the equation, not all. What we'd like to NOT hear, however, is that climate change has NOTHING to do with it, and is a hoax.

Seems clear enough magnitude is not being upped by just coincidence. And I do not care who else believes this or not. I use my brain for decisions that effect me and not others.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:02 PM
commuter racer

Quote:

Rant over...
I don't think saying Climate change is a cop out, this was unexpected. Apparently the wind was caused by early snow in Colorado. There was a fire ban in Oregon for the last month or so.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Not too many seasons have gone by without fire bans here these past years.

There is little doubt gale force winds played the biggest part in speed and reach this time.

I watched the sky go blue/red/grey incoming to me in Beavercreek.

There have been wildfire events last few years that reached Estacada. So much for our 10-12 mile buffer...

Last edited by robt57; 09-15-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Rant over...

This is the beginning, food security is the issue. The Midwest has been relatively isolated from the effects of climate change but the concern is multiple years of drought could be a big problem to US food security. The way corn and soybeans have been bred make them more susceptible to drought.

I spent two years with folks smarter than me developing a 20 year global strategy for Ag giants. Obviously these three sentences don’t explain everything but .... But I’m not just a guy on an Internet forum who read a meme on this subject.

Last edited by joosttx; 09-15-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I want to ride Someday with oldpotato love this guy
Cheers
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
But I’m not just a guy on an Internet forum who read a meme on this subject.
And yet this sums it up pretty well..

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-15-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:22 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Dan, gotta say for me any minute amount of humor, or even irony is lost for me after the last few days here... I am ready to cry from the the stress release of the evac downgrade....

Old 09-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Dan, gotta say for me any minute amount of humor, or even irony is lost for me after the last few days here... I am ready to cry from the the stress release of the evac downgrade....

I hear you. I'm thankful to have full-time work to distract me - even though that means sitting in the most polluted/stale corner of our apartment for hours on end..
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I hear you. I'm thankful to have full-time work to distract me - even though that means sitting in the most polluted/stale corner of our apartment for hours on end..
Being stressed about work helps me ignore the stress of living in a burning garbage can.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Being stressed about work helps me ignore the stress of living in a burning garbage can.
</words>

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I hear you both. I'm lucky that I have central A/C in my house, so I'm able to do some filtering and keep the windows closed. But the filters are now black, there are no replacements left in the metro area, and even Amazon is 3 weeks out.

I'm going even more stir-crazy just sitting at my desk and working, but it hurts to go outside. I'd even consider getting on the trainer but I'm pretty confident that the air quality inside my house is unhealthy. I'm planning on getting an old guitar restrung and trying to learn to play, but I can't even do that since the local music store is closed because of the air quality.

I know I can't complain since my impacts are mainly inconvenience, but I'm still allowed to say it sucks.