Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post

When you consider all the steps involved in swapping a drop bar, the two-bolt stem will save you time, but it’s a rounding error.
It´s not that hard. Just use a pencil and draw around the lever right after taking the tape so you can bring it exactly where it was. Wrapping new tape on handlebars is bliss. Once you know the exact stem length you need you won´t mess w/ it again so why not the superior grip of one bolt ?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:37 PM

If you don't already have a Murex, I'd recommend the Nitto UI-2 or UI-12 instead (26.0 and 31.8 respectively). Quill stem, steel, removable faceplate. Aesthetics more like the old Salsa stems.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
It´s not that hard. Just use a pencil and draw around the lever right after taking the tape so you can bring it exactly where it was. Wrapping new tape on handlebars is bliss. Once you know the exact stem length you need you won´t mess w/ it again so why not the superior grip of one bolt ?
I think we’re in agreement.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
... However, I read some reviews where people used this stem on a rebuild of a classic frame and found to flex too much...
Complete crock of hooey. I have been running one on my Merckx Ti frame since... um seems like forever, no more flex than any other quill stem. I don't like the aesthetics as much as conventional 3T-type quill stems, but I wanted the ability to be able to swap bars more easily with the two bolt design.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Ultra has a 3T stem with a hinge in his Paletti. Works fine. Im not racing no more so dont care too much if it flex or not and between you and me I have no idea it if does or not.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Ultra has a 3T stem with a hinge in his Paletti. Works fine. Im not racing no more so dont care too much if it flex or not and between you and me I have no idea it if does or not.
i have that one. It´s good. It has a cone shape expander instead of the wedge like on the Murex.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM

I did not know that 3t made a quill stem with a hinge. This particular bike has 3t bars! Thanks, I’ll look into it.
BTW, I’ve been riding for 30 years and wrapping bars for 25 years. I still suck at wrapping bars! Not ashamed to admit it.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
... and wrapping bars for 25 years. I still suck at wrapping bars! ...
Wrapping bars got much more difficult after shifting added to brake levers. Yeah, I still suck too. Sometimes I ruin a perfectly good set of tape because I have to redo it several times to get it to look decent.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Wrapping bars got much more difficult after shifting added to brake levers. Yeah, I still suck too. Sometimes I ruin a perfectly good set of tape because I have to redo it several times to get it to look decent.
I rather wrap tape than pump tires! I love it.. I even wrap tape on my mountain bike rise bars.