Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
One last question, Does the seller have to pay fees on the return?
I'm not 100% sure, but the seller shouldn't have to pay any PayPal fees...just the shipping costs when sending you the frame. The thing that isn't handled well is who is going to pay for the return shipping. I don't think this is covered with PayPal, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Paypal changed it's policy on fees. They are now keeping the 2.9%+$0.30 even if you refund the full amount.
So I assume that the buyer looses this amount?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Doesn't this actually mean that the buyer is out the 2.9 percent. Does the new policy (which is news to me) really mean that if a seller refunds a payment the buyer gets a full refund and the seller pays a fee? Or does the refund go back less the 2.9%. I'm only asking because I just bought my wife a watch that stopped running and I'm waiting for a refund, I'll be pissed if the cost is mine, I'm pretty sure I'll be paying shipping both ways already.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 PM

What happens in paypal stays in paypal.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM

I get that and i agree that it's good to be gracious in our dealings. But I've been burned enough by cross country sellers (and buyers for that matter) to be suspicious whenever they want to go outside normal practices.
It's one thing if they're local and maybe they dont want the dispute in their transaction history. but theres no reason to tell a buyer to drive 2 hours to meet a third party only to find that the guys gone until after the dispute period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i dont know, maybe, maybe not. i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and the chance to do the right thing.

i would not be rude or accusatory in any way, it could have been a simple mistake or oversight. i would just politely inform the seller that you will be using the paypal provided process to initiate a return and leave it at that.

as mentioned, document the crack, and better if you have something in writing from the bike shop confirming that it is a crack.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:21 PM

If you have to pay for the return shipping, Paypal might refund the shipping cost. https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/returns/terms
Old 11-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
I get that and i agree that it's good to be gracious in our dealings. But I've been burned enough by cross country sellers (and buyers for that matter) to be suspicious whenever they want to go outside normal practices.
It's one thing if they're local and maybe they dont want the dispute in their transaction history. but theres no reason to tell a buyer to drive 2 hours to meet a third party only to find that the guys gone until after the dispute period.
Yes. Keep it inside paypal lines.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 PM

After the policy change, PayPal keeps the fees after refund. The seller loses the fees.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
After the policy change, PayPal keeps the fees after refund. The seller loses the fees.
So that means the seller has to pay these fees since the funds are going back to the buyer...correct?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
So that means the seller has to pay these fees since the funds are going back to the buyer...correct?
So if a buyer pays a seller $100, paypal takes $3 and sends the seller $97.

Before, if a seller issued a buyer a refund, the seller would send paypal $97 and paypal would send the buyer $100. (this is based on transaction behavior I have seen as a buyer, as I never see two refund transactions of $97 + $3 when receiving refunds, only one $100 refund).

Now with the new policy, I assume it's the same process as above, but with the addition of a $3 charge to the seller, or it could be calculated up front in one transaction and the seller sends paypal $100. I don't know for sure because I haven't encountered it yet so I don't know exactly HOW they're implementing it.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
i would find a way not to feel bad about the fees
^This. I would look deep inside my mojo system for 3 or 4 seconds, reflect upon it, then not feel bad that the seller is eating fees.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Apologies if this was covered and I missed it, but what condition was the box in when you receive it?

I ask because I always take pictures of all sides of the box to note condition when I ship it out. I also take pictures of the box when I receive a frameset or wheels mainly if there is visible damage on the outside of the box. This way I have a leg to stand on if things go sideways.

I've received boxes via UPS that were barely holding on. Good thing our shippinh and receoving guys made the driver make notes in their system that the box was heavily damaged.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
One last question, Does the seller have to pay fees on the return?
no...

seller hits a button called "refund".. after which you get the money back. The seller is out the shipping(return) but does not pay any fees.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Apologies if this was covered and I missed it, but what condition was the box in when you receive it?

I ask because I always take pictures of all sides of the box to note condition when I ship it out. I also take pictures of the box when I receive a frameset or wheels mainly if there is visible damage on the outside of the box. This way I have a leg to stand on if things go sideways.

I've received boxes via UPS that were barely holding on. Good thing our shippinh and receoving guys made the driver make notes in their system that the box was heavily damaged.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was no noticeable damage on the box. The listing said there was a chip on the top tube. He took it to his bike shop (Bike Generation in Florida) and they

said it was fine. On very close inspection of said chip, the carbon did not look right. I took it to my bike shop and they said it

was cracked using the sound test and it as quite obvious when they demonstrated.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
no...

seller hits a button called "refund".. after which you get the money back. The seller is out the shipping(return) but does not pay any fees.
With the new change in policy, I am/was unsure of who pay-pal receives their fee from. Thanks for clarification

Tags
cracked bike, paypal, scam