Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Frame suggestions on spare parts build? 700c, 9 spd cassette, rim brake, rigid steel

I've ended up with enough spare parts that they're starting to look like a bike's worth of components ... but I'd like some suggestions for what frames or used bikes to look for to install it all on. It would all work nicely on a Rivendell Sam Hillborne or similar to give you an idea, though something much cheaper would be ideal.

Parts I've got:
700c wheelset (velocity Atlas rims, Shimano hubs, DT swiss spokes)
9 speed cassette (11-34t) Shimano HG400
LX rear derailleur M591
Nitto Albatross bars (56cm cro-mo) and 10cm nitto quill stem (technomic)
Pairs of Marathon or Conti tires 38-40mm wide
27.2mm VO setback seatpost
Cables and housing and sundries
Couple UN-55 bottom brackets in 113 or 118 width.

So missing a frame/f/hs and crankset (plus shifters and front derailleur). Ideas for frames or old bikes to rebuild that this stuff would fit on nicely?

I'm 6'0" but I'd happily build something for my brother-in-law who's a lanky 6'2" (rides about a 58cm road bike frame).

What are your suggestions to slap these parts onto a frame so I have a project to work on during raining weekends while the baby is napping? I'd like to find an older steel frame, maybe a step-thru, but open to any ideas on what to look for.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:24 PM

$200 off their Clem Smith Jr. right now, I would do it!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:48 PM

That's a great suggestion. You're quick on the email about that too! Unfortunately, they don’t have the Clen H frame in my size anymore. They’re trying to get rid of the remaining Clem H stock since they won’t be carrying it anymore. Though the Clem L is great too ... it’s just too close to my Cheviot to justify.

Last edited by serval; 11-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 PM

Soma Buena Vista?

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...8?category=990
Old 11-15-2019, 10:15 PM
n - 1

Takes long reach side pulls but I just bought a Soma Pescadero frameset. I bet there will be some good holiday deals coming up on them.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 PM

I’ve got some 9s Ultegra 6500 shifters and a front derailleur in the classifieds to get you running.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:11 AM

I always suggest SOMA too, yeah - they usually do a 20% off sale pretty regularly, subscribe to their e-list.

My rain/commute bike is a 2007 double cross with ultegra 9 speed.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
though something much cheaper would be ideal.
Well, the 'ideal', regardless of price, is the fit..Any frame that doesn't fit ya will either end of collecting dust or go back on the market toot sweet.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
That looks great, I didn't realize there was a rim brake version (I've only seen the disc brake model). And the upcoming sales that p nut and dem mentioned would make it s very reasonable cost! I'd get the 58cm for my brother in law ... except he's probably more interested in a more road/go fast bike and hasn't joined me in the MOMS movement (Men on Mixties).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I’ve got some 9s Ultegra 6500 shifters and a front derailleur in the classifieds to get you running.
I'm going to need to wait until I've got the frame in hand before deciding on which shifters and derailleur, but thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, the 'ideal', regardless of price, is the fit..Any frame that doesn't fit ya will either end of collecting dust or go back on the market toot sweet.
Agreed - I'm looking for something 54-56cm for myself or 58-60cm for my brother-in-law ... I don't really need another bike but at 6'0" with short legs, building something in my size would be easy to later sell or give to a close friend. Really I guess I'm trying to keep lots of options open so if anything close becomes available I can grab it and start wrenching