Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM

I must say...

SPOILER ALERT

it may be in the bag for ETNZ after today's racing.

The replays (I can't get them live) are pretty amazing, the data and metrics being shown on screen are really providing great context.

Those days of the 12m class were great and those are my halcyon days of yore, but I must say, the racing--the tactics, the technology, are impressive this time around as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Thanks.

Why did Oracle, as the defender, choose Bermuda as the site, over SF Bay, SD Bay, Newport, etc?
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/s...ricas-cup.html
Old 06-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Interesting.

I wonder how the economics actually turn out.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

I wonder how the economics actually turn out.
It will be interesting to see what the analysis shows once all of this is said and done. There has been massive attention given to Bda for hosting the Cup and there have been lots of very wealthy visitors here. The number of big yachts and classic sailing vessels here is quite something. I don't know if the total visitor numbers will be as high as was being touted but I think the island has done very well out of it all. The tv coverage has been pretty spectacular and the teams that have been based here the longest - Oracle, SoftBank and Artemis - absolutely love it here from all accounts.

It's been a mighty task for the island to host it and, I must admit, I have been pleasantly surprised and how well it has come off. I suspected that there might be some hiccups along the way with our infrastructure giving way a little under the mighty strain, but Bda seems to have pulled it off without a hitch so far. I know a few of the folks involved with bid team and the event authority and I know they have all worked their a**es off for three years and kudos to them.

We'll have to see what the future holds for the event going forward. With the Kiwis looking set to lift the Cup tomorrow, it's anybody's guess what the format for the next one will even look like and when it will be held.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Vendor

Cycling in the America's Cup!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2...s-cup-bid/amp/
Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
We'll have to see what the future holds for the event going forward. With the Kiwis looking set to lift the Cup tomorrow, it's anybody's guess what the format for the next one will even look like and when it will be held.
According to the AC website, the participating teams have reached an agreement about the boats and the dates for the next two cycles. Location to be determined, of course.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
It's been a mighty task for the island to host it and, I must admit, I have been pleasantly surprised and how well it has come off. I suspected that there might be some hiccups along the way with our infrastructure giving way a little under the mighty strain, but Bda seems to have pulled it off without a hitch so far. I know a few of the folks involved with bid team and the event authority and I know they have all worked their a**es off for three years and kudos to them.
Well, it sure looks fantastic on television. You live in a nice place. I wonder what the Bermuda infrastructure final tally will be.

I also wonder if events like this and the Olympics, etc. should have a rotating set of available sites; I mean, they built that huge complex at Valencia for Alinghi's defense, and the AC has never returned there, right? All recent Olympics seem to be economic disasters (Rio certainly was)...I bet the Qatar WC will be as well (but we will probably never know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
According to the AC website, the participating teams have reached an agreement about the boats and the dates for the next two cycles. Location to be determined, of course.
I know nothing about sailing...what explains all these unforced errors on the part of Spithill/Oracle? Spithill is an AC veteran, so I don't quite get it.

Also, with the current score at 6 to 1 = 7, why do the commentators say, "And NZL claims race #8!"? Was there a dropped race, a tie, or something else? I have only watched yesterday and today.

PS: that start by NZL in race #7 (or #8, whatever we're calling it, the 2nd race today) was really amazing. So precise. That fellow Burling seems incredibly skilled.

Last edited by cadence90; 06-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:29 PM
v a n i l l a

NZ started at -1 since USA won the prelim.

AC72...nothing like it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...ory-1393457596
Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Vendor

I find it interesting. They list the current boat as doing 47 knots. S&S 87 was doing 46 knots. So not much more for the new designs. I love the older ones. Much cooler.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Also, with the current score at 6 to 1 = 7, why do the commentators say, "And NZL claims race #8!"? Was there a dropped race, a tie, or something else? I have only watched yesterday and today.
There was a qualifying series of elimination races, Louis Vuitton Series, to select the challenger. This time around the defender was allowed to participate in a first round with all of the challengers. Why? The defender makes the rules.

Oracle won that round so took a bonus point into the America's Cup. So the Kiwis started at -1.

Last edited by parallelfish; 06-25-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I find it interesting. They list the current boat as doing 47 knots. S&S 87 was doing 46 knots. So not much more for the new designs. I love the older ones. Much cooler.
Better recheck that. No way the 12 meter boats were doing 46 knots.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
NZ started at -1 since USA won the prelim.

AC72...nothing like it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...ory-1393457596
Fantastic article, thanks much.

Quote:
I like the older ones better too. It is pretty freaky seeing such a huge boat rising up and gliding along on those small foil things, though.

Quote:
There was a qualifying series of elimination races, Louis Vuitton Series, to select the challenger. This time around the defender was allowed to participate in a first round with all of the challengers. Why? The defender makes the rules.

Oracle won that round so took a bonus point into the America's Cup. So the Kiwis started at -1.
Thanks, now it's clear. I don't see any comeback this year.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Better recheck that. No way the 12 meter boats were doing 46 knots.

My bad. I reread it. It's 46kmh. They thru that in in the knots section by accident and I read it quickly and missed it. 33 knots max.

Still much better to look at. But yes, it is wild to see the foils out of the water.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Actually all the teams signed the agreement except New Zealand. They did not sign and can do what they like within the Deed of the Gift. No idea what they will do, but they are not bound to the existing framework. Pundits thinks they will keep multihulls, but otherwise who knows.

And yes, it looks to me like a lot of mistakes by Spithill, who is normally a very good starter. The unforced premature start yesterday was inexcusable, and today he put himself into a bad situation where he was luffed and lucky not be be penalized which he could have easily avoided as he was the advantaged boat at the beginning of the start sequence. Not sure why he is cracking under the pressure, maybe knowing you are slower is too much pressure. It is clear in light air the NZ boat is faster and more stable on foils, so perhaps this is the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
My bad. I reread it. It's 46kmh. They thru that in in the knots section by accident and I read it quickly and missed it. 33 knots max.

Still much better to look at. But yes, it is wild to see the foils out of the water.
That is way too high as well. I would expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 knots.