Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 07:11 AM

looking for selling advice - Facebook Marketplace and other options

I reluctantly reopened my my Facebook account after a 10 year hiatus for the purpose of using Marketplace. I will always post stuff here at a better price. I'm just looking for other ways to sell gear.

1. Is there anything out of the ordinary that i should expect?
What has been your buying/selling experience using FBM is it basically a craigslist kind of deal with random scam and lowballer/tirekickers types or what? Is it worth the effort - In general I'm Not a fan of FB.

2. Can you recommend any regional(New England)cycling specific FB groups that feature a classified adds?

3. Other than Pinkbike are there other venue to consider?

thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2023, 07:21 AM

I've had really good success selling on MP but keep an eye out for the BS. Plenty of highjacked accounts out there. Joining activity focused regional groups is great but far fewer eyes so I always post in both groups and on MP. I find it terribly easy to tell who is full of it and who isn't. Being able to see a seller/buyer profile is really useful for me. I just use PayPal only and don't run anything through FB.

Last edited by charliedid; 03-16-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:10 AM

Haven't sold anything but bought quite a bit on FB.
Facebook has volume so your chances of finding a great deal are better than Craigslist(not popular here) and Kijiji (quite popular).

As I've mentioned here, the coding/ querying for Marketplace is prob the worst I've seen.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=271072
Old 03-16-2023, 08:16 AM

There is a New England Bicycle Classified on FB. Marketplace works but ya gotta be able to handle the crap that comes with it
Old 03-16-2023, 08:22 AM

Theres a lot of scammers out on FBM. And its not like the craigslist ones that you know right away. They'll chat with you and ask you when you wanna meet up and where. Then they'll eventually say they only wanna pay with Zelle. Then you get out. But the whole process could take at least a day before you catch on since they ask about the condition of the stuff and all that..
Old 03-16-2023, 08:24 AM

If not here then Craigslist is where I list goods.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:27 AM

When using FBM check profiles and if they seem sketchy meet somewhere close to where you live and only take cash.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:13 AM

Dan, based on how cheap you sell your stuff (based on personal experience thank you) I would think PL and PinkBike would be your best options

I've looked through FB Marketplace but always feel there's a scam about to happen. Same with Craigslist. I've had nothing but great luck on PL and PinkBike.

Weightweenies and Slowtwitch classifieds are other options as well.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:43 AM

I listed my Nagasawa on FB Marketplace and a few bike-related groups.
I'm not a FB user - how do I know if someone is interested? Do I need to check comments daily on each site? Is there a way people can PM or email me?
Old 05-04-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I listed my Nagasawa on FB Marketplace and a few bike-related groups.

I'm not a FB user - how do I know if someone is interested? Do I need to check comments daily on each site? Is there a way people can PM or email me?
Facebook instant messenger is how I do business on FBM. It is the easiest way to directly answer questions and communicate imho.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2023, 07:54 AM

Gotta say I’ve been pleased with Facebook marketplace on both the buy and sell side for variety of items.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Gotta say I’ve been pleased with Facebook marketplace on both the buy and sell side for variety of items.
Pretty much my experience as well as both a buyer and seller.

There are tire-kickers, ghosters and time-wasters (and probably scammers that I have so far avoided) but overall it is a decent way to buy and sell. I think if the platform were better organized (like better category divisions and a better (more discriminating) search it could be a whole lot better.

I haven't sold bike stuff though--mostly it has been home reno materials and tools, and a bit of car stuff that was surplus.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:19 AM

I absolutely abhor FB marketplace for selling, it seems like you need a lot of engagement surrounding your post immediately or else it gets bumped down the listings fast. Unfortunately a lot of people love using that platform. As a buyer it's damn hard to find anything unless you search the right combo of keywords. But Ive noticed my friends still get listings that just don't show up for me unless I search the exact ad title.

Its slightly better in the FB groups at least. I still prefer craigslist and do most of my selling on there
Old 05-04-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Theres a lot of scammers out on FBM. And its not like the craigslist ones that you know right away. They'll chat with you and ask you when you wanna meet up and where. Then they'll eventually say they only wanna pay with Zelle. Then you get out. But the whole process could take at least a day before you catch on since they ask about the condition of the stuff and all that..
Ha...I bought a Spec Hellga via FBM and at pickup, the seller and I both admitted that we did some due diligence on one another. She agreed to sell to me after getting a strong thumbs up from a mutual riding friend, even though I offered her a 50% deposit and pickup two weeks later, while other people were banging down her door with (alleged) cash in hand.

My wife is very happy with her Hellga.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-04-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v View Post
As a buyer it's damn hard to find anything unless you search the right combo of keywords.
As a buyer, FB marketplace has an absolutely atrocious search engine. It's so bad it makes me question their entire capabilities as an internet entity.

Unless it's deliberately designed to be bad and force you to spend more time there...