Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 11:34 AM

The OP must be referring to the Colnago Master I had to have 4 years ago. Put a new silver 11 speed Campy group on it. Nice wheels, SP, bars & stem. Hated it. Rode like a 4x4 hunk of wood.
I am sure plenty of folks love theirs. Maybe mine was a lemon. It had to go.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:40 AM

First road bike was an 80’s soma with sun tour cyclone derailleur and the like. Total anvil.

Traded it for a kitten once it served me through college
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6D0FFB3B-D9F6-48BA-A27D-7A399314212F.jpeg (54.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpeg D5FE44F7-D640-4DC4-AC8A-63BC75B397D9.jpeg (23.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-15-2023, 01:16 PM

Most recent sales before a cross country move from a place with a garage to (at least temporarily) a place with no garage. Miss the garage workshop (not just for bikes) a lot more than the bikes that were sold.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:21 PM
Vendor

After my rockhead bike shop colleagues finally talked me into getting a decent mountain bike (Giant Fathom 1) in 2019, I sold it to a desperate friend of a friend for a small profit just as the bike shortage was starting to hit. I figured that I could replace it right away and come out ahead a few bucks. Well, for the next two years, every time we received an appropriate mtb in my size, I couldn't justify taking it out of the hands of a (in no particular order) pining, yearning, jonesing wanted-to-be-customer.
Now that such bikes are readily available, I find myself in a situation with 6 road/gravel bikes occupying my 'bike room' and basement, and having just splurged big time on a new Propel SL 0 (hot on the heels of two other pretty bikes earlier in the year), I just can't justify the purchase financially.

I try not to have redundant bikes. So if a new model of an old favorite comes out, I'll flip the old favorite.

I don't *need* all these bikes, and would easily part with any of them except the purple steel all-road bike if I needed the money or if someone really really wanted one of them and made me a decent offer.

Because I own a shop and do lots of group rides and social media spamming, I try to keep riding the latest and greatest, so that I can get these bikes out in the wild in front of people and so that I can speak honestly about what it's like to ride each bike and the differences between 'em all. Once a 'latest and greatest' is no longer that, I don't mind selling it. Not because I wouldn't gladly ride that bike for the rest of my life, but because I know I'll (usually) be equally/more thrilled with the next model + it's good for business.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
This was a really long time ago, bought a track bike an old Carlton from a local collector.
Rode it on the local velodrome a few times and discovered I hated track riding and sold it back to the original owner who gladly took it back.
Funny--the story that comes to mind for me is about a track bike.

We were at a race in Washington State (might have been the old Redmond Derby) -- and some guy shows up to talk to a bunch of us. Says he's got a track bike that he would like to sell. So my 'coach'/patron steps up for me (he knows I'm desperate for a track bike since several of us have been sharing) --and bargains way harder than I would have. Voila -- I have a lovely Pearl Blue Metallic Frejus, all Campy (including 1" pitch chain, a radially spoked front (*when such things were unheard of) and the original Unicanitor unpadded saddle.

So then -- to get it home across the border. So, out came the wrenches, all the parts go into various cars and I declare the frame at the border @ $75 --and the customs guy says I got robbed.

I loved, loved, loved that bike. In retrospect, it fit me better than the road bike I had (that was too big), and China Creek track in Vancouver was just rebuilt--the perfect 45 degree/250m oval wood track. I was not that good, but OMG I loved racing that thing on the track.

And I swore I would never sell that bike...

And then--a few years -- after I had quit racing -- I was visiting with our some-time team sponsor, wheel man and shop guy--and he says 'Do you still have that track bike? There's a young guy that I know who really wants to go racing..."

That's what it took--I knew that I had only been a custodian, and it was time to pass on the dream, and I sold it.

Last edited by paredown; 03-16-2023 at 07:42 AM.