Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 03:32 PM

Plate with screws on my collarbone. I had a cycling trip in Italy planned a few months after the break so my motivation was to be in semi decent shape for that trip. I also had some rib injuries. Honestly the rib pain lasted longer than the collar bone pain.

My understanding is that the risk of riding too soon has little to do with the riding, its the risk of crashing and loosening the hardware. I personally found it was important to rest a few weeks to let the body energy focus on healing rather than fitness.

I was spinning on the trainer in 2 weeks, outside in 4 and rolling through the hills of Tuscany 10 weeks later.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:33 PM

Be thankful you broke it - no really!

Broke my left collar bone along with several ribs. Healed fine. Full ROM. Took a while but no residual problems.

Grade 3 separation of the right collar bone plus 2 ribs. Arthroscopy to clean up bone fragments and full AC reconstruction a few years after that. Full PT both times.

The recovery post-AC reconstruction was three months of pure hell (I don't tolerate analgesics very well).

Hurts like hell as I sit here typing this.

Wish I'd have broken the right one too.