Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 10:11 AM

Friendly Hi

Dave,

I'm so sorry that happened to you. But, glad you were found and saved.

I wish I had more to offer as far as advice, but sadly, I'm just a gas passer like you! But, I wish you good luck and the best recovery you can have.

I'll be thinking about you!

Jon
Old 03-14-2023, 10:42 AM

I just lost a long response due to the forum timing out feature but I wanted to offer a bit of my perspective after recovering from a bad motorcycle wreck. I could go into details but I couldn’t walk for over six months and was slowly able to get to the point where I just walk with a bit of a gimp now. Not the kind of neurological loss as a stroke but I still have the constant “pins and needles” feeling my left leg. There were other less noticeable issues associated with my injuries too.

For me, the biggest challenge was building back my leg and core strength as well as maintaining the range of motion in my limbs. At first, I couldn’t even lift my legs from the hospital bed that I was confined to. Even after I was able be vertical, I was pretty unstable on my feet so I started working out with a rowing machine. That might not work for you if you still have little function in one arm. The very best thing for me was moving onto a Schwinn Airdyne. They can be had pretty cheap anymore since most of them are probably just used as clothing racks. I believe it is still one of the best workouts one can do. As I’m sure you’re aware, it’s very stable and gets all of your parts in motion. I just tested mine using only my right arm and leg while just letting my left side hang on for the motion and it worked well.

Getting back on a road bike was pretty wobbly and scary at first but it’s amazing how well our bodies respond to motion - especially once familiar motion. It was like learning to ride a bike all over again and I think, more than anything, just keeping in motion helped me get back to a point where I can complete some pretty challenging rides now. But even just being able to tool around on a bike was dream come true from where I started.

It may be a ways off still but have you considered an e-tricycle just to get back in the saddle again? Keep moving and best of luck with your recovery. Feel free to PM me if you want to share experiences.

Last edited by maj; 03-14-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear of your plight. Try to stay positive and active, it's obvious you have a lot of support here. I hope you have a strong support system where you are. Sending good thoughts your way.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:09 PM
#RYFB

First and foremost, all appendages crossed and best wishes for steady improvement.

JimCav's post sent me searching the New Yorker archives, and while I didn't find the article to which he alluded (I don't think), I did find this one that might be somewhat educational even if it doesn't give concrete advice. (I don't know if it's limited to subscribers, but let me know if you're unable to access it.)

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-karen-russell
Old 03-14-2023, 04:35 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
First and foremost, all appendages crossed and best wishes for steady improvement.

JimCav's post sent me searching the New Yorker archives, and while I didn't find the article to which he alluded (I don't think), I did find this one that might be somewhat educational even if it doesn't give concrete advice. (I don't know if it's limited to subscribers, but let me know if you're unable to access it.)

I do wish I could remember--it had to be 2012 or 2013 as it had to do with my dad's recovery. It might not have been in The New Yorker. The gist was the guy literally had to act like a baby as far as mobility--he crawled until his brain rewired things to allow more than crawling, like we all did as babies; but slower, more painful, and more frustrating: but it worked.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:36 PM

I wish you well in your recovery and the only thing I can add is possibly trying something like Cordyceps mushrooms. It may be something worth looking into?

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2023, 05:11 PM

Wow, so they just found you there? Glad they got you out of there, could have been much worse.

Sorry, no advice here. I want to wish you luck in your recovery. Work hard and keep at it.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:45 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Glad to hear from you.

But very sad that things are not improving the way one would hope.

Here’s hoping for improvement soon

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I wish you a full recovery soon. An experienced, skillful occupational therapist may be able to help with this sort of paralysis.
Thank you, I do have OT twice a week as well as PT but recovery is slow
Old 03-14-2023, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

Thank you interesting article
Old 03-14-2023, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj View Post
I just lost a long response due to the forum timing out feature but I wanted to offer a bit of my perspective after recovering from a bad motorcycle wreck. I could go into details but I couldn’t walk for over six months and was slowly able to get to the point where I just walk with a bit of a gimp now. Not the kind of neurological loss as a stroke but I still have the constant “pins and needles” feeling my left leg. There were other less noticeable issues associated with my injuries too.

For me, the biggest challenge was building back my leg and core strength as well as maintaining the range of motion in my limbs. At first, I couldn’t even lift my legs from the hospital bed that I was confined to. Even after I was able be vertical, I was pretty unstable on my feet so I started working out with a rowing machine. That might not work for you if you still have little function in one arm. The very best thing for me was moving onto a Schwinn Airdyne. They can be had pretty cheap anymore since most of them are probably just used as clothing racks. I believe it is still one of the best workouts one can do. As I’m sure you’re aware, it’s very stable and gets all of your parts in motion. I just tested mine using only my right arm and leg while just letting my left side hang on for the motion and it worked well.

Getting back on a road bike was pretty wobbly and scary at first but it’s amazing how well our bodies respond to motion - especially once familiar motion. It was like learning to ride a bike all over again and I think, more than anything, just keeping in motion helped me get back to a point where I can complete some pretty challenging rides now. But even just being able to tool around on a bike was dream come true from where I started.

It may be a ways off still but have you considered an e-tricycle just to get back in the saddle again? Keep moving and best of luck with your recovery. Feel free to PM me if you want to share experiences.
A e-trike is in my future but my PT says I can't ride a stionary bike
A funny thing with my PT is we discovered that we raced each other in some local cris a few years agohewas faster than me

Last edited by gasman; 03-14-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Dave,

I'm so sorry that happened to you. But, glad you were found and saved.

I wish I had more to offer as far as advice, but sadly, I'm just a gas passer like you! But, I wish you good luck and the best recovery you can have.

I'll be thinking about you!

Jon
sth

Thank you Jon
Old 03-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I would look into spending as much time on a powered stationary bike as possible. I would be surprised if your physical therapist wouldn't agree. hang in there and keep as active as you can. if you are not working with a speech pathologist make sure that is in the mix too.
MY PT says no bike yet
Old 03-14-2023, 09:36 PM

I am glad you are still with us!
Keep working your programs and take good care of yourself.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:04 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
A e-trike is in my future but my PT says I can't ride a stionary bike
A funny thing with my PT is we discovered that we raced each other in some local cris a few years agohewas faster than me
First off, I always liked your thoughtful posts.
Second, I love that you raced your PT.
That's inspiring right there.
You're a good guy!