Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 05:10 PM

Surge pricing at LBS?

Was in my LBS today and heard they still are operating a 2 week wait time for service, which spurred a thought: have any LBSs implemented surge pricing for on-demand or "skip the line" service?

People always walk in and want service done now/sooner, so why not let them pay more for immediate service? Something like a flat $25 fee to jump to the head of the service queue and $25 more to stay there? Or a fee ($50?) for them to stop what they're doing to fix your bike right then and there.

Wouldn't work at every LBS, but in shops where customers have more disposable income than patience, I could see people paying that instead of waiting two weeks for service.

Curious if anyone has seen it done in practice? Or even what this group thinks the market would bear as far as people being willing to pay for immediate service vs. waiting.

btw, I know they have "come to you" style bike mechanics but I'm talking about trying to capture more money from people walking in the door of the LBS.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:25 PM

We've done this before with some success - mostly comes out of racer types...for all the reasons you could imagine.

We also warn a lot of our customers that as March-April hits everyone and their mother wants to get their bike worked on so the lead times to achieve that grow.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:30 PM

Enough $25 line-jumpers and the guy told 2 weeks is finding out 2 weeks later that it's 4 weeks.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Surprised there’s still so much demand. Glad I work on my own stuff. Surge pricing sounds like a way to piss off loyal customers. “We value your business, but not as much as someone who pays more”.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:34 PM

Doesn’t being courteous and tipping generously get you to the front of the line. A six pack seems to work…
Old 03-13-2023, 05:36 PM

Isn't the 6-pack thing quite cliche by now, or is this a regional thing? I honestly have never seen anyone ever turn in their bike and hand over a 6-pack while asking for service. Somehow strikes me as really tacky. How does the rest of the line waiting for service look upon this tactic?
Old 03-13-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Enough $25 line-jumpers and the guy told 2 weeks is finding out 2 weeks later that it's 4 weeks.
This was precisely my take on it as well. Never ended up being a problem but it is something we definitely work to avoid.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:44 PM

The shop I was with last year was booked solid from March to almost the end of May with service work. Biggest challenge to a "surge pricing" would have been how that impacts current appointment turn arounds for customers who already dropped off bikes. Depending on staff available, meeting turnaround times was at times challenging, although slow days could certainly be beneficial for getting caught up/ahead of schedule.

In theory, it makes sense, if the shop has the capacity and skills to handle the workload of surge/rush jobs.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:45 PM

Looked at another way, two weeks out doesn't mean you are overly busy it means you are understaffed. Seasonal surges aside.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:46 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Isn't the 6-pack thing quite cliche by now, or is this a regional thing? I honestly have never seen anyone ever turn in their bike and hand over a 6-pack while asking for service. Somehow strikes me as really tacky. How does the rest of the line waiting for service look upon this tactic?
Ha, you just said what I've always thought.
I could see it being appreciated if you actually know the person(s) working on your bike. Otherwise?...
Old 03-13-2023, 06:01 PM
Randomhead

The lbs I go to was sending people that weren't long-time customers to a mobile bike shop for repair. I don't know if they are still doing that or not. The mobile bike shop guy is opening a brick and mortar store just down the hill from me.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
i think most of the people I see working might be under 21yoa so they might like the idea. I notice a fair amount of stoners so maybe some weed too. I have a buddy who is a Ford tech at a large dealership and he said they get sick of people bringing in donuts and beer. He said they must think we live on donuts and beer and that will get them better service. He said occasionally someone will bring in a nice quality bottle of whiskey and that gets their attention but they still get the same service. I offered some contractors some beer one time and they were polite but declined and said they were mormon and did not drink.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:09 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Doesn’t being courteous and tipping generously get you to the front of the line. A six pack seems to work…
If I worked a relatively low paying job the last thing I would want is beer to expect better or faster work
Old 03-13-2023, 06:20 PM

Bike shops gotta make hay while the sun shines, just like any other service business!
Old 03-13-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
I’ve become friends with the guys at my LBS, but I still will show up around lunch with a couple of pizzas and have lunch with them about once a month. Sometimes its followed by a repair request, and sometimes it’s not. They almost without fail, will fix my issue while I wait.