Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 03:13 PM

OT: Will a VPN fool the Major League Baseball streaming App?

I like my new VPN. Works great for beating geo-restrictions on European cycling events.

Now, curious if any PL Forumites have used a VPN to fool Major League Baseball and its nonsensical black out rule? I don't have cable so viewing local MLB games is a forbidden, so says the MLB Commissioner. I'll gladly subscribe to MLB if I can watch our local team.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:19 PM

I used a VPN for years to watch MLB baseball on the app...

Here's the thing. Years ago, you could get ALL MLB games through the app, even the nationally-televised games on ESPN or whatever, as long as you used the VPN. It was awesome. But at some point there was an overhaul and they started using different software. At that time, they simply stopped carrying the national broadcasts (ESPN / Fox) on their platform whatsoever, so even with the VPN and paying $$$ for your subscription, you couldn't see those games. There are a lot of them and they're not on the platform, even with a VPN.

It got so utterly frustrating and baffling for me that a few seasons ago I gave up watching baseball completely. It really makes me hate the greedy scumbags in charge of the league! I am just trying to pay to watch my ball club!
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 PM

I can't answer your question directly.
But.... What I can tell you, I am a cable subscriber, when I was traveling this fall I wanted to watch my local football game, so I tried using the VPN with Spectrum and it detected the VPN and wouldn't let me watch...
Old 03-13-2023, 08:04 PM

Yes, I know this works with Nord VPN.

It's quite frustrating how difficult MLB makes it to watch games and highlights sometimes.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolve View Post
Yes, I know this works with Nord VPN.

It's quite frustrating how difficult MLB makes it to watch games and highlights sometimes.
Are you getting the national broadcasts with the MLB app and the Nord VPN, like those on ESPN or whatever? Or just the "local" broadcasts and then you still have to revert to a different solution for any games on national TV? Thank you.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:47 AM

Good question, I don't recall. You'll have to forgive me, I am an Oakland A's fan so I don't remember the last time they had a regular season game on ESPN.

I think I had to log in to ESPN through a family member's cable in those cases (they were not local to Northern California, and thus I couldn't just do that to get the regular A's channel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Are you getting the national broadcasts with the MLB app and the Nord VPN, like those on ESPN or whatever? Or just the "local" broadcasts and then you still have to revert to a different solution for any games on national TV? Thank you.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:16 PM

Frustrating watching Bruins on their run, last few games were on ESPN+
Old 03-14-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolve View Post
Good question, I don't recall. You'll have to forgive me, I am an Oakland A's fan so I don't remember the last time they had a regular season game on ESPN.
Ha!! No doubt.

I seem to remember when I was a kid that Cleveland would black out every Thursday night home game on TV so you had to come to the park to see it. Do I have that right? Anyway, everyone grumbled about it at the time, but it feels MUCH more difficult these days to try to watch baseball. It's so fragmented into a dozen different providers.

A few years back, some guy that created a subscription service called "Hehestreams." It was clearly illegal. It was also awesome. For about half the price of the MLB.TV subscription, you got EVERY game, no exceptions, and it worked seamlessly across Roku, PC, and my phone. It worked so well, and was so drama-free.

Of course, the guy got caught and extremely busted. He had to pay a $500,000 fine.

Anyway, it was a brief taste of how good it COULD be. It doesn't have to suck to stream sports! The powers that be are making it horrible on purpose because they perceive some advantage to do so. It truly is infuriating.

Here's a revolutionary idea... Take my money and let me watch the ballgames. Crazy, right?????
Old 03-14-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post

Here's a revolutionary idea... Take my money and let me watch the ballgames. Crazy, right?????
What an idea! Amazing MLB can't figure it out.

It's pretty amazing how MLB constantly shoots itself in the foot. On the one hand they actively flag highlights on youtube and then on the other hand wonder why more young people don't watch baseball. It doesn't matter how quick the game is if you can't actually watch it.

I never caught on to hehestreams, sounds awesome.