Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 11:47 AM

Is there something wrong w my heart or does every HRM suck?

Seriously. Wahoo straps always have issues for me. An ancient one seemed to be mostly consistent until it broke at the electrodes. My newer Wahoo strap had constant connectivity problems and got binned. Now a brand new Garmin one I have is all edged up with its readings too.. takes at least ten minutes to return values after starting despite being “wetted” and then can be in/out of returning values and seems to be inaccurate near my HR Max at best. Am I just forever unlucky with technology? Is my heart a lonely hunter? What the what!?!
Old 03-12-2023, 11:50 AM

This is definitely a trend the last few years, I found the old Garmin or Polar ANT only sensors were great, long lasting. I’ve had 3X Wahoo HR sensors replaced as they were still under warranty (less than one year of use), next time I’ll try an ANT/BT HR sensor from someone else.

I think as some of the added features have come along, many of the HR sensors have been made very cheap and disposable quality wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2023, 11:52 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Seriously. Wahoo straps always have issues for me. An ancient one seemed to be mostly consistent until it broke at the electrodes. My newer Wahoo strap had constant connectivity problems and got binned. Now a brand new Garmin one I have is all edged up with its readings too.. takes at least ten minutes to return values after starting despite being “wetted” and then can be in/out of returning values and seems to be inaccurate near my HR Max at best. Am I just forever unlucky with technology? Is my heart a lonely hunter? What the what!?!
Hmm, interesting.. I haven't had any issues with the Wahoo strap since I was told to wash it a bit more often than with other brands.. mine seems to connect pretty quickly..

I have know folks who sometimes have issues with electronic stuff on their body.. my dad could never wear a digital watch long-term as it would always go a bit weird and the readout was wig out.. no idea why, just did..

have you ever had issues with other electronic wearables? have you tried conductive gel?
Old 03-12-2023, 11:58 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Polar H10 is worth a shot IMO
Old 03-12-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Now a brand new Garmin one I have is all edged up with its readings too..
For many years I thought that too...Then I found out my heart is often odd with PSVT,PAC's PVC's etc

You would be amazed how many times posts like yours comes up on Triathlon forums too
Old 03-12-2023, 12:05 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I haven't tried to figure out whether you can, and how, to broadcast the Whoop strap monitor (wrist location) to something like a bike computer but I've been using it daily for over 2 years and when I wear it with a Wahoo strap , then compare readings (summaries of, highs, calories expended, they track close enough I think for most of us. Just an option if you care more about looking back rather than monitoring on the ride, although there may be a way to do that as well.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:08 PM

Heart monitors

I use Garmin. Incredibly frustrating. Worked for maybe 8 months, then after 20 minutes it stops. Next session same thing , 20 minutes and stops or gives ridiculously low reading I know is way off. Has happened to me with two of these things. Replacing battery made no difference. I just figure it is good for maybe a year and that is it. For that initial 6-8 months it is ok.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:09 PM

I have had mixed results with various HRMs. currently I have a Garmin HRM Dual that I must admit has been rock solid for quite some time. I use it daily, either on the trainer or outside (and running).
Old 03-12-2023, 12:16 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
I use Garmin. Incredibly frustrating. Worked for maybe 8 months, then after 20 minutes it stops. Next session same thing , 20 minutes and stops or gives ridiculously low reading I know is way off. Has happened to me with two of these things. Replacing battery made no difference. I just figure it is good for maybe a year and that is it. For that initial 6-8 months it is ok.
this is what my initial Wahoo strap was doing.. after getting a new one and reading somewhere that you need to wash the strap more often, I don't seem to have those issues now (knock on wood).. I take my strap only into the shower with me and wash it with my shampoo usually.. just put some on, rub the strap against itself and rinse and hang to dry.. maybe I just got lucky with this one, but works for me so far.. also, I sweat, but not a ton..
Old 03-12-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
If you have a wrist monitor, does it give a good reading? Your chest shape just might not work well with a chest monitor.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:51 PM

Yes they all suck.
For that reason I bought a cheap Magene strap for $23.
It has been working well for a few months.
It reads high at the beginning of a ride but then after a few minutes is accurate and agrees with my Apple Watch. If it stops working I would buy another one.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:12 PM

Had an old Garmin, it worked for about 5 years. Got a newer one, it started being unreliable after about 6 months, and died after about a year. Replaced it with a Polar, and it's been going strong for about 2 years now. Haven't maxed out its longevity, but it seems to be going better than the Garmin. Would tentatively recommend.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:33 PM

H10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Polar H10 is worth a shot IMO
This^^^^
After having my umpteenth Wahoo strap start to give erroneous heartrate I moved to a Polar H10 strap. So far, so good.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I've had better luck even with a (cheaper) 3rd party wahoo-compatible strap I got off amazon than the one that came with the Wahoo HRM. The original strap failed after just a year or so, the metal contact on the pod just broke off. The 3rd party one doesn't have the snap on buttons and seems to connect pretty quickly and reliably when it's wetted.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:45 PM

Polar H10 and Spectra Gel

Try some of the Spectra gel it works very well
https://www.amazon.com/Electrode-Mon...s%2C443&sr=8-2